DIY Gas Standup Scooter from a 20" BMX Bike

GoldenMotor.com

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
I was in the garage brainstorming (seems like I do my best thinking in the garage...lol)
My 9 yr old daughter has outgrown her 20" BMX bike. Awhile ago, I bought her a new 24" MTB which was too big...but not anymore.
Since my kids & I have been having so much fun riding around our community on the Razor E325 that I converted to gas (there is a build thread), I started searching for another gas scooter both new & used. I found a nice EVO Powerboard on CL but the seller was too flaky & wouldn't answer texts or emails so I gave up on that one.
For less money, I could just build one myself with stuff I got laying around.
I got a few ideas online looking at both kickbikes & adult push scooters.
The 1st few pics are of a Sherpa Evo. A DH standup scooter & the inspiration for this new project.
I'm thinking of either using the 12" wheels I already got, but the rims are steel & the bearings are junk (although I have repacked them with grease). I also retrued them & added a nice new Kenda tire.
I might get some 10" Goped wheels but I'm trying to build this without buying hardly anything.
The seat/seatpost & crankarms/pedals will be removed & I'll probably end up doing a rear friction drive since I already have 2 driver units & 1.25" rollers. I'll just need to fab a floorboard to stand on out of aluminum or wood (or an aluminum/wood combo) & use the bottom bracket area as one of the mounting points for strength.
To get my arms/hands higher up & in the correct position, I'll need to buy a BMX stem & BMX upright handlebars with the cross brace.
See the pics & tell me what you all think.
-Lowracer-

Attachments

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK
Low,I'm just following you. This is right up the alley I've been cruising. Here's some more for inspiration.

The first one has turned into my Holy Grail.

The 2nd is a custom from English Cycles. Pricey.

The last 3 are just too close to not include them. And I can upload more. Just none like the scooter/bicycle combo.

Attachments

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
dgizzle,
Kent makes an affordable combo scooterbike.
Diggler has a few that they also market towards dogsled type use.
I think I'm sold on the 'standing room only' for portability.
I've been folding down the handlebars on the Razor & throwing it in the trunk of my car for those days 'just in case'.
-Low-

Attachments

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK
I've seen those before. The Kent looks a little wimpy and the Digglers are way out of my price range. Have you seen the Toucan 20s? About $290 on eBay. I will more than likely buy one of these to build my wifes scooter/bike. As I said in your other thread,I'd also like to get a Razor Ecosmart scooter and convert it as well.

Attachments

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK
And a top hat adaptor with the 1/8" offset and a 26 tooth 1/8" sprocket should allow the use of the rear disc brake.

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK
That moby would work,but I'm lazy and want to sit. I'm actually turning the scooter into a MB. Gonna add supports across the top and from seat post to rear axle. I just need the top supports and a warm spot to work so I can get it together.

I also don't like the motor in the rear. I'm adding an aluminum deck and rear frame standers in order to stand and put my feet.

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
I was half tempted by the Goped GTR46i but for $1100, I'll pass. Also its louder than my old pocketbike engines, but one sick puppy of a ride...
-Lowracer-

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
16v,
Yeah, that was the plan.
Its so easy to take the easy route & just buy one already built.
I dont have any more spare engines just laying around (except the three pocket bike Cag stage 2's) that I swore never to unbox & mount ever again...lol
If I get a good deal on an engine or borrow an engine from 1 of my 2 MB's (Tanaka 40 & Tanaka 47r) I'll be good to go...
-Low-

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
dgizzle,
I found an Izip in my local CL listing for $30 (not working).
This could be an easy scooter to motorize.
16v,
How would you connect the floorboard?
I'm thinking of using the bottom bracket as a threaded mounting point. Maybe run some angle aluminum past the bottom bracket and back to the chainstay. Then maybe a wooden platform (cutting boards from Walmart are $7.00 and nicely rounded solid wood).
-Lowracer-

Attachments

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK
That should work too low. That has the same style wheels I'm using on my project. And the back wheel is threaded for freewheels on both sides. Maybe add a disc brake....

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Subscribing as I have a little stash of scooters in the shed, and one sit down or stand up 49cc RazorX in there with them. It's alot like this one:
http://www.amazon.com/2007-XG-499-I...F8&qid=1359342263&sr=1-9&keywords=gas+scooter

I have contemplated making one with 20" BMX wheels, and I have an ancient Dyno VFR BMX collecting rust in the back yard.
Who knows... Maby that's where my short shaft 4GT will end up?

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
I measured my Razor wheels (the fat 10"X3" air tires) & they would fit in the fork & rear dropout with small spacers. I think the weak link on my mock up are the kiddy bike wheels. Not so much the strength of the spoked wheel, but the axle bearing interfaces. Not sure these kiddy bike wheels (w/ training wheels) were meant to roll around at up to 30 mph with a 175 lb. guy on them...lol
Not sure which way to go just yet, but I'm in no rush like I usually am.
I do think a regular old BMX bike with the 8" upright handlebars would be a perfect starting point to make a stand/sit motorized scooter.
I may leave the stock 20" front wheel (406) to keep the sweet front v-brake & use the small 12" kiddy bike wheel on the back (need space for engine mount & floorboard). Alot of these kickbikes have the big front/small rear wheel combo.
The Izip is a deal for $30 before haggling, but I really dont have any extra room at my house with 9 bikes all over the place...lol
-Low-

Last edited:

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
Go get that Izip and use the wheels, they would be perfect! I spent $200 on my Izip wheels, so that scooter is a steal and the wheels are really strong. That would be an insane little scooterbike.

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK
Not to be an @$$,but $200? Damn,did they break it off so you had a souvenir at least? You can get the rear wheels for $25 from tncscooters. The first link is rim/tire combos. The second is rim only. If you need a front disc wheel the only place that had the disc brake option is at electricscooterparts.com.

http://tncscooters.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=68

http://tncscooters.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=62

http://electricscooterparts.com/electricscooterwheels.html

I also know where to get the tires for $9.99 each too. Street and knobby tires.