Clutch sticking out to far

GoldenMotor.com

littletinman

May 15, 2012
Gaithersburg, MD
Well, it looks like my main ride is off the road again. This time with a weird issue.

My clutch rod thing (seen in the picture) is sticking out so far i have to push it in with my weight on the cover before i can screw it in. Once I get it all tightened up, the other side (the clutch gear) sticks out so far it's wearing into the sound proofing on the clutch cover, which has never happened before.

I recently replaced the clutch shaft bearings as one exploded during a ride, and it's been doing this since.

Another weird thing, is the clutch seems to be loosening itself. In other words, I'll get the cable set just ride, and after about 10 miles of riding, i can no longer fully disengage the clutch, meaning the engine slows down or stops when i stop due to the friction on the pucks.

Anyone have any idea what is going on? Or any suggestions?

The pictures give a little more detail. I can take more but not until the weekend.

Attachments

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada
can that shaft be installed backwards?i dont know myself as i havent knocked one apart yet.
the spring inside loosening?it can be tightened by removing the cable adjuster and using a flat screwdriver to hold while shaft is rotated with socket.this is more for clutch adjustment.

missing the woodruff keys?
this just dawned on me,as both ends are keyed,it would be impossible for them to loosen if tightened correctly.

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
Well, it looks like my main ride is off the road again. This time with a weird issue.

My clutch rod thing (seen in the picture) is sticking out so far i have to push it in with my weight on the cover before i can screw it in. Once I get it all tightened up, the other side (the clutch gear) sticks out so far it's wearing into the sound proofing on the clutch cover, which has never happened before.

I recently replaced the clutch shaft bearings as one exploded during a ride, and it's been doing this since.

Another weird thing, is the clutch seems to be loosening itself. In other words, I'll get the cable set just ride, and after about 10 miles of riding, i can no longer fully disengage the clutch, meaning the engine slows down or stops when i stop due to the friction on the pucks.

Anyone have any idea what is going on? Or any suggestions?

The pictures give a little more detail. I can take more but not until the weekend.
Any chance you mistakenly put two bearings behind the bucking bar? (the "clutch rod thing")

littletinman

May 15, 2012
Gaithersburg, MD
I only had one bearing for the bucking bar. I will have to check if something else is stuck in there.

tooljunkie: I know it's not installed backwards as I double checked that. All woodruff keys are present.

I had some weird noises coming from my cylinder area as well yesterday and at one point the engine jerked like it was seizing.

I'm super close to just buying a four stroke engine so I can stop worry about all these weird sounds.

DTFuqua

Jul 16, 2012
Florida
Go ahead and cross of to the dark side. You'll be happier when/if you get a good setup with a four stroke. I would be very disappointed if I had to deal with a crappy engine while trying to work out all the other problems.

littletinman

May 15, 2012
Gaithersburg, MD
I'm not apposed to staying with 2 strokes. I think at this point I need a new engine (not kit, just the engine).

I got mine from BGF. Anyone recommend where to get a good quality (relatively speaking) 2 stroke engine?

I think, since this engine I have now was my first, I didn't start the way I should have. I know a little better now and would be able to start off well from the start. Like a pre-install tear down and porting!

desolation

May 21, 2012
arizona
i would pull your case apart and check the inner workings of the clutch shaft. i had a problem similar to this turned out the pin in the clutch that transfers the tension form the main clutch spring was busted into 3 pieces. had to pull the case apart to replace it i just used a titanium drill bit the same size as the broken pin.