Magic Pie 3 on Trek 3500 disc bicycle

GoldenMotor.com

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
Going to put a Magic Pie 3 electric motor on a Trek 3500 disc bicycle. I decided on the name. It is going to be
Pie Trek: St. Croix, the final frontier.
These following posts will be the voyages of the Pie Trek.
Its mission: to explore the island of St. Croix, to seek out new life and new civilizations,
To boldly go where no electric bike has gone before

Got home from the states yesterday with my Golden Motor Magic pie 3 kit waiting for me. First impression is the packaging is custom made for these kits. I was a bit concerned with it being shipped all the way here from china however golden motor packed it right. Form fitted foam around all parts and nice thick cardboard boxes. All the small parts were wrapped in bubble wrap then taped tight so they could not shift around and damage things. Living in the Caribbean everything is shipped here and you would not believe how much stuff is damaged. Was nice to see the way it was packaged. I get to pick up my bike this afternoon before I go to work and start the build late tonight or first thing in the morning. The Magic pie 3 kit is all plug and play. Looks like only real time I will spend is cosmetic like hiding wires and things like that. Looks like a lot of improvements were made since the magic pie 2. The pictures do not do this kit justice. it is some really nice looking equipment. As get it all put together and take it on its maiden voyage I will post more. The reason I am going electric is number one I want it to drive back and forth to work and reliability is an important issue. I have had to many times I took the gas one and chain comes off or something like that and I end up at work a greasy mess. I really like the idea of maintenance free. I also live in a condo now and don’t have the garage I had in the states to keep the bike and cannot bring gas bike inside. The pictures attached are the packaging and also motorbicycling.com mascot happy made it to the islands also and is going to supervise the build before he takes off for another adventure somewhere in the world. (he is quite the traveler)
if looking for an electric bike kit so far i am very impressed with http://www.goldenmotor.com/

Attachments

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Nice Paul! Good to see Happy is getting some tropical paradise time too lol (^)

Which battery pack is that (AHs)? The cooling fan/disc brake mount is a nice touch, partic w/the new controller being more condensed... to reassure however, I've not had any undue heat generation w/mine - but you do live in the tropics after all heh

Hard to tell w/the pic - but are those spokes 14ga? They seem a lil thicker... if not, no matter as they're so short they're strong as heck.

bike pics plox o.o

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
i think the spokes are 12 ga. they even sent a couple extra spokes which is nice. they are very thick. well put togather bike wheel. i went with the 48v 10ah battery which should be enough for the island. still playing with everything waiting for bike shop to open. they are definately on island time. only open 3 days a week for 5 hours each day lol. during the triathalon they are open everyday and all day and i believe that makes thier money to carry them thru the year so they can play the rest of the year lol. will take pictures of the bike after i pick it up.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
Picked up bike and it's nice. Didn't have time for a picture yet. Only thing I didn't notice when I ordered was the shifters and brakes are integrated into one piece so i won't be able to hook up Regin brakes till I get new shifters which I will order tonight after work. Can't wait to get it all together and ride. Going to be sweet ride

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
tom was making a joke about the white wire. seems to be the most asked question about gas motors. anyway the new magic pie 3 is plug and play. i honestly don't think they could have made it easier. all numbered. with water resistant plugs. so no color wires or soldering to mess with. here is a picure of one set of plugs for regin brakes, throttle and cruise control

Attachments

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
What? Ya mean I can't run a headlight ofn it? :p

Srsly tho - those connectors are a heck of a lot nicer than the "cheesy, flimsy lil things" I referred to w/my MPII, sweet deal man!

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
1 and 4 the ones to the brakes are very short actually perfect length. just quick checking and throtlle and cruise look about perfect length also. so far most of the cable are about the perfect length. will let you know for sure after i get everything hooked up and get some pictures of it. i am seeing alot of small changes in the magic pie 3 from the 2. cables big change as i said they are idiot proof. also where the wire comes out of motor has been made so it dosnt cut the cable. real nice unit

i got up 530 this morning and couldnt wait to get things going. i put on my flat proof tire tubes the tires, gears and disk break and put it on bike. every thing went smooth as can be. tried to turn wheel and it was stuck. so i sat thier scratching my head and remembered last thing i did was put on disk brake. ended up the 5m screws that came with the trek bicycle were to long and hitting the controller casing. spent all day hitting all the hardware stores and the bike shop to find shorter screws and of course nobody had any. decided i would use the dremel tool and cut the screws i had. looked for dremel and it is gone a friend borrowed it and never returned it and of course he was no where to be found. ended up cutting the screws with a small saw then it was time to head to work. frustrating to say the least however i put it togather got to look at it and after i took off the disk with the long screws i started it up and i am big time excited. looks good, sounds good and going to be a lot of fun.

Sep 4, 2009
Texas
Smaller screws can be shortened by threading them into a wire stripper...they have threaded holes to cut small screws built into them.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
thanks george i will remember that next time. i ended up using washers and then a nut set to length i wanted to cut. that way when i took the nut off the screws still had thier threads. was a pain to do with just vice grips and a recprocating saw but it got the job done. sure miss my garage i had in the states sometimes. however i have to say its nice building in extra bedroom with ceiling fan on and the a/c lol.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Go over to your "friends" place with your new bike, get your dremel and tell him to buy his own tools from now on.

My dad once saw a guy down the street hacking down some weeds with his weed wacker and went over and asked him where he got it from. He borrowed it from the neighbor my dad lent it to.

Some people just suck.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
just took pie trek out for its maiden voyage. all i can say is WOW. on flat ground i was getting 27mph and i think when i get a little more air in the tires it will go even faster. got speed readings from my gps which is very acurate. not sure how fast i was going down hill i was holding on and didnt want to pull out the gps. the bike is amazingly quite. had a phone call with phone in my pocket and heard it ring same as i would walking. good job golden motors. this is an amazing piece of equipment and worth every penny they cost. for those of you wondering i am not a small guy. 6 foot and weigh around 220 pounds. i cannot wait till after work tomorow and put on some more miles. tonight was just a small test of around 5 miles dance1

Attachments