which way should the piston ring end gaps should face?

GoldenMotor.com

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
There are pins that prevent the rings from rotating. They will not go on in the wrong position. They do not line up with the ports at all. If you did that the rings would catch the port edge and be broken. The pins are positioned to line up in places where the cylinder wall is constant throughout the stroke of the piston.

kavid2012

May 3, 2012
Brentwood, Tennessee
The pins on the piston face towards the intake port.

I hope you know what Dave said too cause otherwise
you will break them.
Also the ring ends are angled so they only go one way.

Good luck!
thanks, i thought so too...
either way you put the piston in, the ring ends will not touch the ports.
so i was confused which way should i put the piston
exhaust or intake maybe it's not a big deal as long as they don't touch the ports

ivan H

Oct 8, 2011
australia
Look on the top of the piston. On the same side as the pins there is an arrow that points across the piston towards the exhaust port. Cheers

ivan H

Oct 8, 2011
australia
On the crown (top), adjacent to inlet port. If ur all carboned up from running rich or 2 much oil in ur fuel u wont c it, its only lightly stamped in. If u've got healthy varnishing u should c it. Most all automotive pistons have this, indicating forward direction of travel when installed. If u havent got its the first I've heard of, but thats not 2 say anything. Cheers

kavid2012

May 3, 2012
Brentwood, Tennessee
On the crown (top), adjacent to inlet port. If ur all carboned up from running rich or 2 much oil in ur fuel u wont c it, its only lightly stamped in. If u've got healthy varnishing u should c it. Most all automotive pistons have this, indicating forward direction of travel when installed. If u havent got its the first I've heard of, but thats not 2 say anything. Cheers
Yes, my piston top is black from running rich .
So, arrow pointing should be toward front of the bike?

ivan H

Oct 8, 2011
australia
Yes, thats right. The 2 ring locating pins go at the back either side of the intake port so they run between the intake & transfers, & the arrow points to the front of the bike. Look at the ends of the rings & u'll c they're profiled to fit the pins, they'll only fit if they're the right way up. Cheers