Accident happened today

GoldenMotor.com

geoldr

Jun 19, 2011
California
Guys. If you ever let friends ride your bike. Make sure they know how it all works, and are comfortable with it, and riding a regular bike, and please make sure they wear a helmet.

Today, my friend was helping me setup my SBP expansion chamber. And after we were done he wanted to ride it. He has rode it before, without problem, but today there was a problem. He didn't wear a helmet. He was going pretty slow, maybe like 15 MPH, and over a corner. He did not turn enough, and went straight. Over a curb. And into a concrete wall. Head first. Without a helmet. Of course, the bike is messed up, and so is he. I didn't see him crash, but I heard the tire explode on impact. So I ran over there, and picked him up, and quickly moved the bike. The gas tank was flipped, gas pouring out, fuel line ripped, and so was the CDI wire. I picked it up and moved it out of the way so it doesn't catch fire. He couldn't feel his face and couldn't see out of one eye for 5 minutes. He knew his name, date, everything. We got him home. He threw up blood, and we took him to the emergency room.

THANKFULLY he is fine.
No concussion, no head fractures.

Just a really bad feeling that "i should have put on the full face helmet" and a scratched leg, arm, broken toe nail, and scratch on the face.

He's better now, so that's good.

Now time to fix the bike.

The motor is 100% fine. Not even a scratch.
But the actual bike, not so good. Front tire totally gone. Rear tire also bent. Front fork looks OK, but the handlebars are bent. Frame looks fine. Not sure if I should get a new bike, or just redo this one.

Here are some pictures.

Lol but what I can say is, I rode the bike for about 30 seconds with the expansion chamber, it was way faster.

Maybe in a couple of weeks or so I can find a cheap bike at a garage sale and use it for parts.

Attachments

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
So glad your friend is okay geoldr, your bike can be fixed.

I used to sell lots of motorized bicycles in the past. I had some customers that had no business riding a bicycle let alone one with a motor. It always made me nervous allowing some stranger to test ride my bikes, but if you don't then usually no sale.

Good reminder for us all....

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
Glad your friend's okay. That's rough, but it looks like a new pair of rims, tubes and probaly tires for the bike, not so bad. New CDI and fuel line, bend the left half of the handlebars to match the (bent) right side and I think you'll have a really cool swept-angle handlebar.

Good reminder though, many people have no idea how one of these performs and how easily it can get away from you if you're not expecting it.

geoldr

Jun 19, 2011
California
Yeah. I need new rims, tires, tubes. The motor is totally fine though. I was able to put the CDI wire back in, and it started right back up. So now I need to find some wheels for cheap. The bike stores near me are asking around 70 bucks for just a new rear wheel

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
I'm planning on making a sign to hang on my bike that says: "Don't Even Ask To Ride It" Maybe they could ride it with a $500.00 deposit to cover any damage! :)

Terry

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I never, never, never let anyone ride my bikes. It's just asking for trouble. I did in the past and feel lucky that there was nothing like this happened. People underestimate the dangers involved and see our motorized bikes and just bicycles. Anyone can ride a bike, right? Not so when you consider the speed they're capable of and the added complexities of a clutch, throttle and the added weight of the engine and kit.
Everyone should read this thread and give it serious consideration before allowing anyone to ride their bikes.
Thanks for posting, geoldr.
Tom

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
Maybe retitle this thread: Why NOT To Let Others Ride Your Bike then make it a sticky!

So far none of my friends have asked to ride my bike. I guess I'm just lucky.

Terry

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I let my buddy have the very first fire up ride on my BoXer/Morini engine bike. I used his map gas and silver solder for a throttle cable I had to make then a slight mod to the throttle.

Lets just say it this way no body rides any of my machines any more lol. Too much liability these days. I like it best when I only have my self to blame. Its so much better that way. That darn thing has too much power for a green horn. Any body that has been drinking no way in heck.

Year or to back I let an old friend that was visiting ride one of my china's. I kinda figured he would just ride it around the block. So there was nothing mentioned about that except how to properly operate it.

He had me worried sick. The guy was gone for thirty minutes. He came back and everything was peachy could not get the grin off his face.

Mayn that 30 minutes was brutal I was getting in the car and listening for sirens in the distance lol.rotfl

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Sorry to hear of the crash.
Very glad to hear that your friend walked away from it a little more than a bruised ego.
The trip to the hospital was a smart move!
I say fix the bike. It's not too hard to lace up some new rims to your current hubs, do it yourself.

geoldr

Jun 19, 2011
California
Thanks for all the replies guys. My friend is doing just fine now. It's true, I won't let anybody ride my bike.

Today I found some 2 new wheels off of a Trek bike with quick releases and 7 speed cassette for 35 bucks. Got those, and put on my new inner tubes and tires. Then I got these new handlebars from Performance bike for 20 bucks, and the bike is ready again. Unfortunately its been raining here, so I won't be able to test it until it stops.

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
I had a cute little oriental girl come out into the middle of the road and force me to stop with her friends one day, she was only 17. She wanted to ride the bike, begged and begged, all I could think of was about 20 reasons why the answer was NO! Going through my mind was exactly this scenario, she crashes, hurts herself, and I am left with trashed bike. That's a lose/lose situation! She tried to get me to agree to build her one if she paid me, answer was still no. To young and oblivious, too many reasons for me not to, including the fact that she was way too cute and way too young!....
The only person I have let ride my bike was my Bro-In Law. He rides all kinds of bikes, most of the time with only one wheel on the ground and one foot on a peg, so I figured he could handle it! LOL

geoldr

Jun 19, 2011
California
Yup, if I let anybody ride, it will be my friend who owns motorcycles and has been riding for years. I'm pretty sure he'd be able to handle one of these :p

the willi

Apr 21, 2009
west covina,ca
well dude we all have had people want to ride. i always say no incase they get hurt just that way. im glad he's not in the hostipal. anyways everyone be safe. always wear that helment.so cal people keep riding

kolbpilot

Sep 3, 2011
USA
You are right about liability. A lawsuit waiting to happen. I've only let my 15 year old nephew ride mine though it's a simple right brake handle for throttle, left brake handle for brake. I stubbornly don't wear a helmet (not required in Va.) for to me, that is part of the appeal, a bygone era when it wasn't required on motorcycles. However, I'm fully aware of the risks, even at low speeds one can hurt the 'ol noggin' mighty quick.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
I have been asked several times to build or help build motorized bikes, but I refused. My conscience won't allow it.

No one has ever asked to ride my MB. My answer would be "Don't ask. This bike WILL try to kill you."xct2

With that said, I'm going to Orange Brian's house on Sunday to help him FIX his MB. He lives two blocks away.

Last edited:

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
My bike is a tall beast, and the basket rig on the back makes it a challenge to swing a leg over for most. If that doesn't turn them off, one look at my handlebars and they go cross-eyed. :eek:
I happily tell them where to go online for the local supplier, and roughly where they are relative to here for in-person pick-up, and answer questions.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
No way! just buy a new bar. You can get all kinds of generic, thick steel bicycle bars from low-rider shops, family bike shops like -- Bicycles, Bike parts, Mountain Bikes, BMX, Road Bikes, Haro Bikes, KHS Bikes, Felt Bikes at Niagara Cycle Works, etc.

Glad your friend's okay. That's rough, but it looks like a new pair of rims, tubes and probaly tires for the bike, not so bad. New CDI and fuel line, bend the left half of the handlebars to match the (bent) right side and I think you'll have a really cool swept-angle handlebar.

Good reminder though, many people have no idea how one of these performs and how easily it can get away from you if you're not expecting it.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
I never, never, never let anyone ride my bikes. It's just asking for trouble. I did in the past and feel lucky that there was nothing like this happened. People underestimate the dangers involved and see our motorized bikes and just bicycles. Anyone can ride a bike, right? Not so when you consider the speed they're capable of and the added complexities of a clutch, throttle and the added weight of the engine and kit.
Everyone should read this thread and give it serious consideration before allowing anyone to ride their bikes.
Thanks for posting, geoldr.
Tom
2door, you sound just like me. I tell anyone who asks "Not a chance! Don't ask twice, or you'll be twice as disappointed." My new Higgins build is much lighter than my first bike, even after all I've tacked on. And I've done some *ahem* work on the engine to make it *ahem* more efficient. Nobody knows it like I do. I know what she'll do, how she'll behave. But she might surprise somebody else. I'd have nobody to blame but myself if I let someone ride her and they wrecked, because I could have just said "No".

I also prefer to wear a helmet. I have reason to believe that they've worked well for me and I consider them a worthy investment. But I still believe in freedom of choice; if you know what could happen without one and you still decide not to wear it, that's up to you. I consider it an informed decision.