Maniac Mechanic came out with a new head

GoldenMotor.com

James912

Apr 12, 2011
Florida
They've got a new head out for the 66/80cc engines. It cool lookin'. Piston bikes is sellin' it for 69.99USD. Its called the Maniac Mechanic Gen 2 Head. Its a definite improvement over any stock head. The way the sleaves are angle toward the center, that'll help cool it down alot better. Heres the link:
Manic Mechanic Gen II Head

Erich_870

Dec 4, 2009
Alaska
Beautiful work! But isn't there anybody out there with a CNC rig that could pump these out for about $30 a pop??
You're kidding right?...

As far as I can tell from the photo, that head started out as a solid billet of aluminum and he machined it down. That's a TON of removed material and the finish looks amazing. He has to compete with cheep Chinese junk and US competitors that take his parts to other fab shops to make copies and you think he needs to drop his price by $40?!!

You go price a CNC machine, figure out how use it, design your own head and then run them for $30 and see if you can keep the lights on.

Sheesh!

decoherence

Aug 23, 2010
sebring,fl
when i first opened the box to my china girl i thought, " boy that is an ugly jug.".
i now have one of his billet intakes. it preforms well & looks even better.

i have been wanting one of his heads. i even saw this new one last week.
i can't help but think about how much uglier the jug will look.
thought balloon--->hmmmmmm. billet 66cc jugs.

ddesens

Jun 27, 2011
New Port Richey, FL.
Just a thought. I think the cooling fins should run parallel with the bike. As the bike is moving forward you want good airflow thru the fins to pull away heat. That head design looks cool but may not be the most affective for cooling. It may be more prone to warping.

James912

Apr 12, 2011
Florida
There's no "A" in Manic, FYI OP. But the quality of work itself warrants one, IMO :D
Yeah, I always think of them as Maniacs, lol Cuz they come out with these awesome parts!! They are maniac's at what they do! LOL

maniacs = AWESOMENESS!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
Just a thought. I think the cooling fins should run parallel with the bike. As the bike is moving forward you want good airflow thru the fins to pull away heat. That head design looks cool but may not be the most affective for cooling. It may be more prone to warping.
You may be on to something there. But I'm not sure that at the speeds we get it would make much difference.

Terry

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Nice looking cylinder head!

It would be tough to present a limited production item near the cost of a mass produced casting at a profit. It costs what it does!

Has anyone tried manics adjustable rotor?

my ht starts very well, then runs up against a barrier zone when trying to build r's. slow spark could be contributing to my probs???
rc

James912

Apr 12, 2011
Florida
I read that someone on here tried the manic machanic rotor and their engine ran best at the stock slit same as the stock rotor.

Last edited:

NewOrleansFlyer

Jun 27, 2011
Montana
Didn't mean any disrespect, and all points well taken. You're right about the quality of the part. The problem with trying to beat cheap manufacturing is trying to compete with it. Again, no disrespect intended.

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
hey flyer. treatland has some moped heads in your price range and ddesens i think they got some that you'd like too. and a hope this model does'nt get pirated like most of his stuff has been

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
The head in the picture looks mounted side ways. There are two slightly different shaped fines that look like they were meant to mebbe point a different direction?

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
I truly doubt the fin orientation matters for anything but aesthetics.

It could be argued that with fins parallel with the bicycle, you then don't get as much cooling benefits from crosswinds :p

The head in the picture looks mounted side ways. There are two slightly different shaped fines that look like they were meant to mebbe point a different direction?

magrider

Aug 24, 2010
OrangeCounty, CA
A radial fin pattern has long been recognized as superior. The air hits the flank of the fin as opposed to slipping through.

The Morini engines have a radial pattern at the front. Bultaco always used a radial design on thier dirt bikes. There are many other engines that have cylinder heads with a radial fin design. In the 70's there were many aftermarket cylinder heads with a radial fin design for the big 4...Kawasaki, Yamaha, Suzuki, Honda.

The reason that you don't see it all the time...Cylinder heads are usually cast, and the tooling gets far more complex for a radial pattern. If you look at the least expensive, lowest horsepower, Morini engine; you will notice that the cooling fins are straight.

This design has been tested the cooling is far superior

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
It's all about maximum heat transfer of course.

The same principle applies to heatsink design of processors. I grew up in Silicon Valley and have followed the development and application of processors for many years. Allow me to go a bit geek here: CPUs put out more heat per square inch than most internal combustion engines, and GPUs can put out more than any race engine. We're talking about something smaller than a Jolly Rancher putting out about half the heat your average chinagirl radiates.

A round design cooling fin on a head befits the fact the piston and cylinder themselves are round. It would favor radiating the most amount of heat with passive cooling - a worse-case scenario. And yeah, it's more expensive to make radial fins. However, in the end, it's all about how much medium you have to transfer the heat itself. The shape of the fin and it's orientation matters less than the total surface area of the fin.

But we're jumping ahead of ourselves here. The cooling fins on this new chinagirl head being perpendicular as opposed to parallel with the bicycle's length likely have no difference whatsoever in cooling performance.