Are motorized bikes explosive? How safe are they?

GoldenMotor.com

karama8484

Aug 12, 2011
Houston
This might sound like a really far fetched question but I'm planning on using my bicycle for commuting to school. Therefore I plan to rack it up with the rest of the bikes. I somehow keep getting paranoid and feel like it'll explode getting me into some really serious trouble (assuming they even allow me to use it at school.) I'm sure the school won't like the idea of me keeping a half gallon tank of gasoline so close to the building.

How much of a fire hazard is the bike? Are nearby smokers a potential problem?

Thanks for any reply.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
It's no more or less potentially explosive than any other gasoline powered vehicle, if it makes you feel more secure - I've a habit of making sure I'm chain smoking while riding, on the off chance I've an opportunity to pass those who would ride for "exercise"...

...w/e the heck that might be :p

happyvalley

Jul 24, 2008
upper Pioneer Valley
It's no more or less potentially explosive than any other gasoline powered vehicle, if it makes you feel more secure - I've a habit of making sure I'm chain smoking while riding, on the off chance I've an opportunity to pass those who would ride for "exercise"...

Tell me you're kidding.............about the exercise.

Last edited:

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL

That would work better if you had on SPANDEX! :)

Terry

Jul 15, 2009
waukegan IL. U.S.A.
Karma ,Your prob making more of this then ness.:) You can always get a locking gas cap and make sure the fuel system dosen't leak at all! Instead of using the bike rack perhaps chain it to a light post near the parking area (were fuel is expected).
The real bummer is for those who rent apts were the landlords have banned MB's because of the fuel issue. The guy in question had a leaky system and kept leaving his MB in a common hallway ,duh ! Just like how one behaves on the street where and how you park an MB refelects (good and bad ) on the rest of us .
Keep a low profile and prob be fine

karama8484

Aug 12, 2011
Houston
No worries. I'm trying to be conscientious driver to make sure we get a good image. If anything, i'm overly conscientious to the point of paranoia. haha. So where can I get the said locking gas cap? Will I it only when it's parked or at all times including when riding?

I'm going to be observing the bike for any gas odors and leaks and from there determine where to park.

Prussian, I'm not sure if I understood you correctly. Are you saying its generally a bad idea to park the MB to a bike rack or is it a bad idea to do so only if it's leaking.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Karama,
You'll also want to make sure your fuel shut off, (petcock), works properly. Even if things look good while riding or first parked, you can develope small fuel leaks that a properly working petcock will help eliminate. Always remember to shut off the fuel when you leave the bike parked. Good luck and I hope your school proves to be motor bike friendly.
Tom

motorbiker

Mar 22, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
This might sound like a really far fetched question but I'm planning on using my bicycle for commuting to school. Therefore I plan to rack it up with the rest of the bikes. I somehow keep getting paranoid and feel like it'll explode getting me into some really serious trouble (assuming they even allow me to use it at school.) I'm sure the school won't like the idea of me keeping a half gallon tank of gasoline so close to the building.

How much of a fire hazard is the bike? Are nearby smokers a potential problem?

Thanks for any reply.
When I was in school any motored ride had to have a back seat ! :)

That is what is important ! :)

Girls love scooter rides ! :)

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Treat a motorized bike like a lawn mower or weed eater. They are safe, but don't store them inside. Lock your motorized bike to the bike rack at school.
If you don't need too much range, consider an electric bike kit. The faculty and fellow students will be more receptive to electric power if it meets your needs and fits your budget. You can store an e-bike in doors, in most cases.

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
I have never seen,read about a gas tank on a motorcycle or MB ever causing a fire, ever. I have had a float in the carb, stick and the fuel run out. Make sure the tank is mounted secure to the frame. Check your fuel line often. These tanks are made pretty well. (c)

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
years back when i worked at a gas station, a guy from a neighboring shop filled his motorcycle up around 4 am, then left it parked in the sun all day.

the temperature rose from about 60 degrees in the morning to about 90 degrees around noon.

about that time his gas cap blew off and fuel sprayed out everywhere. didn't catch on fire, but the pressure from the fumes in his full tank was just too much.

i don't expect this to happen to us, though. the cheap, leaky gas cap does a great job of venting fumes...:)

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
I live in TX where it gets HOT. I used to ride my MB to work, with the stock kit and "peanut" tank on the top tube. The original fuel shutoff sucked and leaked every day so they made me park it by the truck shop. haha. After getting a new one from Sick Bike Parts, I have had no more trouble. Don't overfill your stock tank, and you won't have problems. IF you overfill it (all the way to the cap, for example), it probalby will squirt fuel at you while you are riding or leak when you park on the kickstand. 3/4 full is plenty at 150mpg or better, so don't worry about it. I've ridden on rough country roads and had no problems with the stock tank, just not overfilling it.

USE quality rubber fuel line, and keep it away from the engine, goes for any vehicle. Spills made while filling the tank will run down that line, so keep that in mind.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
...just to toss a negative into the fracas...

My guess is it will not be allowed on the skool campus, or won't be once they find out what it is.

Yes, of course they are flammable !
A gasoline container always has been.

And, it won't be allowed in the skool parking lot because it's NOT insured.
and doesn't meet dot standards and blah, blah, blah... all the things skool administrators are overly concerned about.

In this Kalifornia county they are NOT allowed on the bicycle transport rack on local busses. Of course not! No flammables are allowed on public transport, and that's what a MAB is... a combustion device with it's own supply, on wheels.

sry
rc

and smoking ciggies on a MAB is not gud.
Can I buy yah a stogie?

Mozenrath

Jan 13, 2011
California
I've never seen or heard of these engines exploding. I even saw a video where a guy purposely burned out an engine and basically all it did was just smoke but it didn't literally fly apart.

I'd be more worried about the drive chain bunching up and locking the rear wheel or the muffler falling off or the tensioner falling into the spokes, or something like that.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
The first engine I ran (happytime 48) "blew up" when a piston ring shattered. It scared the poop out of me, but all it did was lock the piston up, and the bike skidded and slipped the clutch, it acted like a full on brake till I pulled the clutch after getting the bike lined back up.

If this is what you were expecting http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cOhPXpRzjg (drag racer throws piston out of block), it probably* won't happen on a motor bicycle (* with the standard china kit stuff). Now with that being said, I have shot spark plugs out of lawnmower engines before when the rod busted from hot-rodding resurrected trash motors. It's still not likely though if you screw it in good.

The only explosion of a MB I ever heard of was from a guy who lost his fuel cap, and used shipping tape over the hole, with a residue of gas in there. When he pulled the tape off, the static exploded the gas fumes and he got burned. I don't know if that is 100% true, sorry, but I expect that could be very possible. I saw a mini bike with a briggs 5 that caught fire, the rider was in the hot seat till he got it pulled over. ;-) Be careful guys. The rear-rack friction drives are probably the safest and most "normal" looking things out there, I'm going for that on my next build.

Last edited:

linnix13

Oct 7, 2009
in the world
i rode my mb to school every day for 4 years, never had a problem. some jealous kids slashed my tires but the administrators never cared, and when i graduated i took my bike for a rip through the hallways!!

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
The bikes are quite safe, it's the cars you need to worry about. linnix13 brought back a memory for me. In 1975 I bought a Honda 750/4 Super Sport off the show room floor. A new shopping mall was just opened. On Sunday Texas had a law that you can't buy anything on Sunday except food till Noon. The mall was over two blocks long, enclosed. We thought it was a great idea to ride it through the mall. A friend on each end to hold the door I did just that. The sleeping guard didn't have a prayer of catching me in a golf cart. Sweet times, not very smart tho rotfl