Brent Merkley's Custom Whizzer

GoldenMotor.com

brent merkley

Jun 9, 2009
san carlos ca.
Re:A bit about custom whizzer by Brent merkley

Hi, Thanks for the comments, I think building Whizzer motorbikes is a great Hobby! I built this bike 6 or 7 years ago it has well over 7000 miles on it ( not a trailer queen) I have made several changes over the years. In the first version it had a monarch springer (before the reproduction one were around) but all of the monarch forks have a very limited amount of travel. It currently has a girder fork with about 2 1/2 in. of travel. I made it from standard steel tubing and the curved tapered tubing is from a Schwinn spring fork with all the lugs removed. I had to re-bend it and extend it at the bottom. The stainless steel parts I drew up and had a machinist make for me. The round pivot is a damper/friction device it keeps the fork form bouncing on rebound. I made the tank from epoxy and fiberglass, I layed the cloth over a male form made from mdf. Unfortunately it was decided it was a good idea to put alcohol in gas, not good for epoxy. I am just now making a new tank on the same form this time I am using a process called "vacuum resin infusion" using vinyl ester resin and Kevlar I am planning to coat the inside with Gold Standard tank sealer before I put any gasohol in it. The motor is a new version motor it now has a cast iron cylinder with a high compression head, it has big valves its ported and polished, high lift cam mushroom lifters (lightened) a high lift cam advanced one tooth, 22mm carb with an 88 main jet. It will do 60 on a good day if I tuck down.

Cheers
Brent
https://picasaweb.google.com/brentmerkley1/Justashop#slideshow/5424846138452199138

Last edited: