fat frame motor on a small tube frame?

GoldenMotor.com

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i stay away from the innertube idea. using cheap rubber to fill up the space will only cause problems.

one, it'll deteriorate. two, it will cause the engine to vibrate more, and without a solid base to dissipate those vibrations, it can cause your hardware to snap.

there's a ton of threads on here about solid vs. rubber motor mounts, and the solid seems to win out everytime. i mount all mine as solid as possible with no problems.

the easiest thing to do is make a shim out of aluminum or thin steel. you can do this with a piece of pipe split down the middle (like an old seat post or handlebars.) or cut out pieces from a sheet of metal and bend them around the frame. i've done both, and it works great.

Jul 15, 2009
waukegan IL. U.S.A.
For front mounts that require sizing i take a muffler clap and weld on a sloted steel tab to the engine mount size . A no weld option is to hammer form a tab that fits motor mount over same size tube (as down tube) and secure with hose claps. It works ok dosent look to hot.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Listen to the voices of experience. Do not mount with rubber. Mount it solid and be done with it.
Look at Bairdco and Venice's ideas of using half sections of metal pipe to make shims.
Tom

MB-Monkey

Nov 19, 2008
Manchester TN USA
Have they change the kits or is the front mount still removable if so order a replacement front mount for the small size tube that's what i would do

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I will say this: if rubber is the only material available, don't use innertube rubber. Use rubber from some kind of hose, and make sure it is reinforced with nylon stitching. Or possiblt tire rubber. Tire rubber and nylon-reinforced hose will probably deteriorate, but not as quickly as a thin rubber, such as inner tube rubber or anything else that is cheap. Justr be sure to check for looseness, maybe once a week or something like that.

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
venice posted a pick of a bike he did with aluminum conduit piping as shims.

i can't find the thread and i know i liked my solution better, but his idea certainly looked like it worked very well.

pipe shims are your best bet unless your kit had some extra parts (which based on some of your posts i'm guessing it didn't)