My 4 stroke clutch is burning up for the fourth time. I bought a new gear box.

GoldenMotor.com

athletichunta

Jul 22, 2010
florida
My 4th 4 stroke clutch is burning up now. I bought a new gear box.

I bought a brand new gear box and just replaced the shaft because it was for a pocket bike and my clutch is burning up now.

When I took it off the engine after a 7 mile ride it was smoking and the clutch housing was covered in black oily stuff.

This is my second engine too, the last engine had the exact same problems.

Please help, thanks.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Re: My 4th 4 stroke clutch is burning up now. I bought a new gear box.

It would be helpful to know what the engine is, what the gearbox is and to see pictures. Someone may have a better idea then. Sounds like a lot of trouble and expense is adding up, too.
SB

athletichunta

Jul 22, 2010
florida
I bought a brand new gear box and just replaced the shaft because it was for a pocket bike and my clutch is burning up now.

When I took it off the engine after a 7 mile ride it was smoking and the clutch housing was covered in black oily stuff.

Please help, thanks.

Here is my engine and everything I have.

Default My 4th 4 stroke clutch is burning up now. I bought a new gear box.

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

athletichunta

Jul 22, 2010
florida
Re: My 4th 4 stroke clutch is burning up now. I bought a new gear box.

On the 2 engines I bought the clutches had no key holes. would gettign a clutch that uses a key and a woodruf key fix the problem maybe?. Thanks

athletichunta

Jul 22, 2010
florida
On the 2 engines I bought the clutches had no key holes. would gettign a clutch that uses a key and a woodruf key fix the problem maybe?. Thanks
Edit/Delete Message

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Sounds like it is time to try a different vendor, or better yet a different drive system. To keep buying the same thing over and over again expecting different results seems unwise. Won't some other gearbox fit that motor? Looks like an HS engine. If you do go with a different drive system be sure to check to see that it will fit your version of the engine. Not all are the same... give the exact engine model and get an assurance that yes, it will fit with no problem and if it burns up in a few miles we will replace it. I've learned the hard way that you get what you pay for.
SB

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Either the gear boxes you bought are junk, or they are not right for the engine shaft. Something is obviously wrong. Two vendors, but the same model of gear box? Still there are no pictures to show what is going on. I don't mean pictures from the sale, I mean the gory pictures of your dead transmission, or what the motor shaft looks like. Does it look like either the engine or the clutch is designed for a key way? We need details, such as provided by photos to have a better idea of what went wrong and maybe suggest a solution. If you could be more specific then people will be better able to advise you. If I bought a car and it blew up and then bought the same car again and it blew up, too, I think I might buy a different kind of car next time. It sounds like you have a money pit and that really is too bad. I imagine you are no richer than I am, and when an engine is a dud it hurts. I know. I've been there.
SB

Don P

Sep 1, 2010
indiana
HI that is the same gear box i started out with. it is 3:1 gear ratio if you have 44 tooth sprocket and the 12 tooth freewheel it is geared way to high. 44/12=3.66 3.66x3=11 to 1 way to high. put a 4g belt drive on it. (its a bolt on replacement)it will be 20:1 and a new clutch shoes from thatsdax.com and you will be good to go.

the key hole is not needed on a taper shaft it is a friction fit.

i burnt up my first clutch too. I've been through all this too.

good luck Don P

Last edited:

Don P

Sep 1, 2010
indiana
Hi well i hate to break you heart but i am vooodooou. i lost my password here and the email address is no more they closed down my email so i cant recover my password for user vooodooou. i had to make a new account.

yes you can do what i did, but the chains are weak will stretch, and if you want to replace the chain ever 2 to 3 hundred miles. trust me i have been where you are. it would be less money and aggravation in the long run just go for the 4g belt drive

what i did was change the output sprocket to a 9 tooth #35 chain and the sprocket on the rear wheel to 55 tooth #35 chain.

if you want to do that i can sell you the sprockets. i don't need them any more.

Don P aka Vooodooou

athletichunta

Jul 22, 2010
florida
Sry I had a problem finding this original thread and I made a new post. I'm sorry please discard that one.

The 4g belt drive does not fit on my engine, it is too big, please if anyone could advise what I should do I would appreciate it.