Safely carrying kinda heavy stuff.

GoldenMotor.com

peppers

Jul 21, 2010
everywhere
I was thinking bout carryin a 30lb thingy in a backpack but I decided this made me a little wobbly. I am considering one of those carry thingys that fit on the back of the seat but not sure if that would be any better, good idea to get one for this purpose or not?

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
30# on a rear rack? Hmmmm better look at the mounts and supports on what ever you are considering buying.

Riding it may take a little getting used to, but 30# is do-able.

Chalo

Aug 10, 2010
Texas
I was thinking bout carryin a 30lb thingy in a backpack but I decided this made me a little wobbly. I am considering one of those carry thingys that fit on the back of the seat but not sure if that would be any better, good idea to get one for this purpose or not?
Yes, if the "thingy" is of a size and shape that fits safely on the rear rack. You can zip tie a milk crate or plastic bin to your rack to make it better at containing things. Probably the least expensive rack that is strong enough to do the job is a steel Wald rack, which sells for less than $20.

Note that 30lbs of dead weight on a rack is very hard on your rear wheel, which in the case of a motorized bike is already coping with structural challenges. If your wheel isn't very sturdy, you'll demolish it with regular load carrying. Likewise, if the object being carried is at all fragile, it will get beat up from riding on a rack.

If your thirty pound thingy can't be well secured to a rack, get a trailer. Once you have one, you'll think of all kinds of other stuff to do with it.

DudeZXT

Jun 20, 2010
Lexington, KY
Where'd you put granny? laff
Brings back memories of the National Lampoon's Vacation when the auntie died and had to ride on the roof...

I just ordered an Aosom bike trailer off of eBay for $110 and it weighs 35lbs and supposedly will carry up to 180. It can also be had from Amazon. Maybe I'll post a review on here when I get it...

peppers

Jul 21, 2010
everywhere
There seems to be a various plans for homemade trailers around the internet, perhaps someone could recommend one of these that can be made inexpensively.

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Keep your eyes on craigs list. I see them there all the time for under $50 (people's kids outgrow them fast). I don't even think you could build one for that kind of money unless you had a trailer to scavenge for parts.

Wait, I just noticed you're everywhere so come grab the trailer off my porch, my wife would greatly appreciate it. laff

Ursus

Aug 12, 2010
NYC
there's a site called instructables.. they have a lot of homebuilt plans for bike trailers. they use things from bamboo to pvc pipe. lots of good ideas there..

Last edited:

spad4me

Jan 20, 2008
Arizona Bullhead
Cough!
A wally world wire front Removable Basket $14.00 ( If tied in place with stainless steel hose clamps and some Tie wire , So as to be permanently mounted) Will easily hold a thirty pack of your favorite beverage.
The steering is heavy at low speeds.
Cough!!

reb1

Aug 15, 2010
CALIFORNIA
If you want to haul things like refrigerators and sofas with your MB than get your self a BAW bicycle trailer. They come in lengths up to 8 foot long and you can run your business out of one.Bike Trailers & More - Bikes At Work Inc.

I have hauled all kinds of things with bicycle carts. I hauled my wife to the hospital to have our third child in a two wheeled cart. She was scheduled for a C section and I had arranged for a taxi. He did not show so I called. He said he did not drive on ice. I had IRC studded tires on my stumpjumper. I ran a lawn mowing business with a cart I built up. I had 46 residential customers.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
My curiousity is just killin' me, I give: may I ask what these 15 or 30 pound thingies are. If they are illegal, you don't have to answer, but it was killin' me. I thought also that if I knew, I could help better.
One of the first thoughts I had was "Hey, I've got a kid that weighs about 30 pounds, wait a minute..."