Carb Gas Leak on New 4G Kit

GoldenMotor.com

trevpiee

Feb 2, 2010
ca
Hey All,
So I installed a new grubee 4g kit with HuaSheng engine on my bike today. When I was getting ready to start her up, I switched the gas on and it all came draining out of the carb overflow. I switched it off, pulled the carb off and inspected the float and needle, and everything seems like it is working like it should and it still leaks. I am not really sure what to do next. Any ideas?

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
Float needle (the li'l thingy the float acts on to shut the fuel off when the bowl is full) is sticking. Unstick it, figure out what stuck it and fix it.

Cheers!

trevpiee

Feb 2, 2010
ca
Thats the issue though. I've taken it apart almost a dozen times now. The float is working. The needle is able to move up and down freely. It's a new carb, all ports are clear. I even checked to make sure the gas cap was venting... But it still flooding

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
One can get a bit of debree sometimes in the needle seat. I suspect you need to adjust the float in relation to where the tangs and the needle valve act at a lower level in the float bowl to shut the valve shut when enough fuel is present in the float bowl.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Are you confirming that it shuts the fuel off when the float is pushing on the float needle?

The float can move and the needle can "seat" and there could still be fuel flowing.

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
i.e. If it floods there's 3 possibilities: float's maladjusted (I know I am), float doesn't (filled w/ gas it is now a sink), or the float needle (for whatever reason) isn't shutting the fuel off.

W/in these few possibilities there can lie a myriad of elusive causes.

Gremlins, Infernal Combustion Gremlins!

Cheers!

Starkadder

Sep 18, 2010
Wenatchee WA
I have the same exact problem. Considering just taking it to a smalll engine repair shop nearby.
the install was a breeze......now if only I could get it to not flood out, that'd be cool. :-||

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Take the float bowl off and blow out the debris that's causing the problem with carb or brake cleaner, then gently blow it dry with compressed air. Re-assemble and ride. If still flooding re-position the tangs that the float activates as suggested above. If that doesn't do it, get a new carb...should be under warrantee, right?