Nord-Lock locking nuts - anti-vibe fix

GoldenMotor.com

kallsop

May 2, 2009
CT US
Is there something similar to this, in a size suitable for the front and rear engine mounting bolts?

Locking nuts

Looks like a simple solution to the problem of using Loctite Red, triple nuts and finger crossing to keep the buzz bomb HT engine on the bicycle frame.

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Nyloc nuts work well if heat isn't an issue, the only thing is they do wear out after repeated use and should be replaced after a couple of removals.

Never use actual lock nuts, the crimps on the nut are meant to cut into the threads of whatever they're attached to and stay tightened permanently. A lock nut will destroy the threads of whatever bolt or stud they're attached to.

The cam lock nuts are a good idea but getting something like that to work on small 6mm studs is highly unlikely.

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
If the engine is mounted properly, and I mean properly all is needed is, if you're worried about looseness, is double lock nuts or self locking nylon nuts. I change out ALL studs to a grade 8.8 (US grade 5), use lock tite and have never had a broken stud, stripped hole, or even a nut that needed re torquing. Also proper torque and a cheap mod here and there helps. All this out of 5 builds. OH and I use nylon locking nuts on the rag joint also. I also don't use a nylon lock nut but once. I buy them by a box of 100 for around 6 bucks.

Last edited: