Wheels/tyres

GoldenMotor.com

Bigmac

Jun 18, 2010
Suffolk, England
I was just wondering where you get your beautiful fat tyres from? I've googled "balloon tyres" and "extra wide tyres" but to no avail! Can you put larger tyres on standard rims?
Thanks for any help,
Macdance1

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
It's not so much "can I fit them on the rim" as you can pretty much cram any 26" tire on a 26" rim... it's more what will fit in between the chainstays (near the bottom bracket) and for more fun and games - what will still let the chain clear w/o offsetting the wheel sprocket/engine.

I'm runnin' 26x2.125s with some room to spare - but be warned, not all tires are exactly what they claim and actual sizes vary, in particular side wall shape & bulge... so anything much more than 2.125 and it may take some experimenting ;)

26x2.125s are a pretty nice, large tire & a good place to start;

Last edited:

fm2200

Nov 16, 2008
new york city
I constantly have the chain making some contact with the sidewall using 26X125. The engine sprocket is to close most of the time.

K-dregg

Apr 20, 2010
Sweden
..That or flipping the drive sprocket so the offset is on the "outside".. If im doing another scratchbuild again i will make the rear mount just a little bit offset to gain some clearence.. My scwalbes sit on 46mm wide rims and clearance is tight on both sides.. Chain slap, yes! :)

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
In looking over the Felt tires, they look like a good value for the money. There is also a nice choice in colors... including all cream and a brown with whitewalls.
SB