Experiences with Dax

GoldenMotor.com

Oysterville

Apr 20, 2010
Ocean Park, WA
While I understand that you have been working with these engines for a long time, you need to understand that your customers, generally, have not. Sending a kit without installation instructions, and then providing a link to a brief overview video on how to install a kit similar to yours, found me looking all over the Internet looking for answers. Those answers were sought only when I had the questions. The importance of having everything level never crossed my mind, though in retrospect it makes sense.

Like I said in my blog, I went public with this not to be mean-spirited as you suggested to me via private message. I went public with this so that you can hopefully recognize where your processes went wrong so that your warranty exchange program can match the rest of your outstanding customer service. I tried laying it out to you during the exchange, but I didn't feel as though I was reaching you.

I remain happy with my purchase. Your service, outside of the warranty exchange, was excellent. Hopefully this was an isolated incident and any issues that seem to have taken place here are resolved.

Dave

thatsdax

Feb 22, 2008
www.thatsdax.com
Dave.. The friction drive you have is a BMP. The video Link provided to you is the install of the BMP. Nothing similar about it. You have a BMP, and the video was a BMP produced Video of the BMP kit which is what you have. You have a BMP kit. I did not provde you with a link of a Similar kit. I provided you with a link of the Kit you actaully have. Again.. sorry it took so long to send you your warranty replacement but we have to make sure everything is right and in order before we could send you your warranty replacement. Also.. As I said in the private message to you which you publicly brought up, and that is.. Before you post private messages to the public, you really should get approval of those authors and parties involved. The emails sent to you were meant for you. And no one else... Dave.. Sometimes, and email sent to you is actually intended for someone else. This too happens. Rare. But it happens. Mistakes happen.. Dave... hopefully you recognize where you are going wrong but I do not feel as though I am reaching you..... Dave.. You can be critical. That is your right and I have no problems with it. You can bet that after 27 years of being in business, I have had a critical review or two. No one is perfect.. What I do not like is secret taping of private phone calls, or public posting of private emails or messages. I have never done it. As an Engineer working in Voice and Data communications since the 1970's, I have never done it. There are not only legal reasons for not doing it, there are ethical reasons as well... At any rate.. I am glad you are happy now and I hope you can get things mounted proper and level this time. I have had one other guy I was able to help who did the same thing as you but with his Wisconsin Robin now Called Robin Subaru and his engine actually locked up. A hydraulic can happen when there is too much oil in the engine or the engine is not mounted level and proper. Oil fills the cylinder and then you have a problem. Typically you will see blue smoke at first and then.. Wham !! All she wrote. Even the valves will not push open because of the excessive pressure. Up till now, we have been replacing warranty engines sight unseen. But we have been getting enignes bought from other Vendors returned to us as sold by us and them wanting warranty return on them. This is dishonest, but is happeneing. Also. We have had engines returned to us as warranty returns, when it is obvious it was a crashed motor, or in some cases of the 2 strokes, forgetful ness to put oil in with the fuel and then a burned up motor. Bottom line is, we only want to make sure things are done correctly and that the customer is treated fairly and satisfied. When you add a week or 2 of time for attention to a motor coupled to shipping times of 4 days each way, then it adds up and can seem like an eternity. I know. I am sorry for this. Rest assured we are doing all we can to keep this down time to a min during the busy season. Thanks for your paitence and understanding ....enjoy the ride..

Last edited:

thatsdax

Feb 22, 2008
www.thatsdax.com
BiMoPed . We have had 3 warranty returns on Titan XC50 this summer. One was rod end cap broken, the other 2 were push rods dropped, one had the push rod flared at the end which could be caused by a hydraulic or it could have been caught under the rocker. Typically a dropped push rod is from over speeding. Also, a broken end cap can be attributed to lengthy or long term over speeding since long term over speeding can prevent required oil from getting to the end cap and rod causing over heating and then failure at that connection. Being that we were so busy, I do not remember what Engine was Daves and we sent him a warranty replacement. All 3 engines were replaced under warranty. Since we have such a low failure rate on Titan, we typically replace them no questions unless there is obvious abuse and neglect. Over speeding does fit the catagory of abuse, but we replaced them anyway.. Enjoy the ride..

the willi

Apr 21, 2009
west covina,ca
these guys are great with service and just being them! when i had a leak with my gas tank, they asked question but they just send me a new tank! and it was chrome too. So these guys have always gotten me everything, right a way! i have had one for almost three years now still running wide open on the throttle too! and it still runs great late

Drewd

Jul 25, 2008
Colorado
I bought a Dax HT a couple years ago. It sat in my garage all winter and when I installed it 4-5 months later, I had an issue with the engine not running properly. Dax warranted the engine for me without any hassles.

No other vendor that sells HT engines offers this level of customer service. When I needed a HT engine ASAP, Dax let me pick one up from their home so my wife could have a motorized bike for our camping vacation...it replaced a BFG engine that failed.

Other HT vendors may advertise longer engine warranties but warranty length does not equal quality.

Whizzerd

Nov 20, 2009
Muncie,IN
Just today Duane helped me through a problem I created by overfilling my Titan 35 with oil. Problem solved. BTW, the 35 is a lil' sweetie and my Titan 50 w/ 400miles just keeps running better and better. Both engines come setup w/ tanks and clutch packs perfect for Friction Drive. Thanks Duane

Brink

Jul 5, 2010
Pensacola
I have ordered two of the friction drive kits from Duane. (Titan xc50) He was quite pleasant to deal with on both occasions. In just 1 month I've put over 800 miles on my daily commuter now. (a Wal-mart Pacific Cycle Aluminum frame Schwinn) I got no complaints with Duane or his engine.

We had 3 different ones of the cheap 2 stroke china girl engines before this. We had 2 different styles from Boy go Fast (on ebay) and one that I bought local from five flags motorbikes (it was a zoom motorbikes engine).

I would not recommend the cheap 2 stroke engines for transportation. In my experience, you will work on the bike more than you ride. They are a lot of fun, but not to be considered dependable transportation.

Sep 4, 2009
Texas
I have to agree friction drives are way simpler to install and require no maintenance other than oil change. I think I got one of the few with a defective crank that the tabs broke off before I did my 10 hour oil change (may have been sabotage as I also have dirt in my car's gas tank) I'm just using a drill motor with a 14mm socket to start it now it runs like a champ I like the friction drive so much I'm thinking about making another build with the honda 50cc engine on a schwin cruiser my old schwinn varsity is a bit rough riding but for the iron horse it is coasts along well.

Whizzerd

Nov 20, 2009
Muncie,IN
Having built a few of each, I couldn't agree more w/ brink. The BMP unit purchased from Dax or BikeMotorParts is an excellent quality American made drive unit. Both James at BMP and Duane at Dax are the Best when it comes to service.

Brink

Jul 5, 2010
Pensacola
Thanks. I've been lurking here for a few years, just didn't sign up till I wanted to use the search feature.

I've found this forum to be a valuable resource for bike builders though and appreciate all who are posting good information.

thatsdax

Feb 22, 2008
www.thatsdax.com
Thanks for that Whizzerd . I will have my new copyrighted and Patent Pending Friction Drive system available by the end of this week !! It is awesome !! At first it will be mostly steel, but I will eventually offer an alloy version as well. Just in time for fall riding !! Again.. Thanks everyone for the compliments. We apprecaite your business . Sincerely. Duane..

Sep 4, 2009
Texas
Well I have solid proof I been pranked on someone took the pulley and nut off my bike this weekend so I couldn't start my bike with a drill....I knew Dax sold quality stuff not anything a warranty would cover.