Battery Powered Headlights

GoldenMotor.com

warner

Jun 5, 2008
ELGIN, IL
Just thought I'd throw this picture in the ring to show what can be done for some real serious night riding. The big sealed beam is the 12 volt, 55 watt I mentioned earlier in this thread. The two smaller ones are Norm's lights but they run off a small, 4.5ah 6 volt battery and not the white wire. This thing looks like a motorcycle coming at you and I can see for a block in front of me on a street with no street lights. Like I said...serious night riding.
Tom
That's one BIG-axe headlight Tom! Wow! Hahaha. My 55 watt driving light really lights up the road at night. After seeing several examples of what the white-wire lights look like and how much hassle they seem to be, I wouldn't even waste my time with that type of setup, frankly. The SLA Battery setups work SO well and are really easy to make work correctly that it's a no-brainer as far as I'm concerned. The weight gets up there with the battery, but most of us aren't pedaling the extra weight around too much. I can pedal my heavy bike at 14 mph average speed for several miles if needed, which isn't too bad.

Warner

warner

Jun 5, 2008
ELGIN, IL
Just thought I'd throw this picture in the ring to show what can be done for some real serious night riding. The big sealed beam is the 12 volt, 55 watt I mentioned earlier in this thread. The two smaller ones are Norm's lights but they run off a small, 4.5ah 6 volt battery and not the white wire. This thing looks like a motorcycle coming at you and I can see for a block in front of me on a street with no street lights. Like I said...serious night riding.
Tom
Tom, what are the specifics on those smaller lights?

Thanks,

Warner

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida
I agree Warner....one BIG AXE headlight !.....making country roads light up I bet....but I've no idea where I'd hook up the battery on my bike....maybe a rear rack mounted one ?...

Salty.shft.

warner

Jun 5, 2008
ELGIN, IL
I agree Warner....one BIG AXE headlight !.....making country roads light up I bet....but I've no idea where I'd hook up the battery on my bike....maybe a rear rack mounted one ?...

Salty.shft.
Well, since my engine is a rack mount and my battery is a top tube (or frame) mount, it makes sense that our engines and batteries would be in opposite locations. :) I'm sure you could find a location for the battery....they aren't that big, really...not like a car battery or anything.

Warner

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida
Well, since my engine is a rack mount and my battery is a top tube (or frame) mount, it makes sense that our engines and batteries would be in opposite locations. :) I'm sure you could find a location for the battery....they aren't that big, really...not like a car battery or anything.

Warner
You got the wheels turning in my head ( no pun intended )....a rear rack ...yeah....so what's a set up like that's total cost?

Salty.shft.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Both batteries are carried in this nifty little nylon bag that's attached to my seat frame. The bigger one is the 12 volt, the smaller is the 6 volt.
As for the specifics on Norm's lights, you'll have to ask him but he's been secretive about them so don't expect an answer :)
Tom

Attachments

warner

Jun 5, 2008
ELGIN, IL
Whole set up....light, battery,rack and whatever else I'd need.....
Salty.shft.
Okay...so just the stuff for the light? Well, I'd buy the battery and charger in the link above from Cabelas - that was $30. Then I'd buy the 55 watt driving lights from you local auto parts store...should be around $20 or $25 for a pair (so you'll have a spare). Then the only other things you need are a switch for the light and a mounting system for the battery and some wire to hook it all up. I have a fuse between my battery and the headlight, but it's probably not really necessary. As far as a rack....not sure what they cost....my engine IS my "rack". :)

Warner

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida
Thanks Warner!...so we're talking around $60 or so for the lighting and maybe $20 for a rack for a grand total of $80....hmmmm...

Thanks,
Salty.shft.