Did You Know?

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I got passed in a curve last week by a crew cab full size bed pick up truck pulling a trailer that looked like it belonged on the back of a semi. The road curved, he couldn't keep the trailer straight and I headed off to the curb. If there had been one more layer of road scum on the trailer I would have been toast.

For some reason he couldn't wait for an opportunity to pass me when there was no oncoming traffic, he had to pass me in traffic so that he was forced to crowd me. I suppose since he didn't hit me he will tell you that it was safe. Inside the truck I'm sure it was safe.

comfortableshoes

Jul 22, 2008
Beverly, MA USA
My most recent close call came when a lady on a cell phone in a giant escalade decided to pass me. I was on McPherson drive- a long straight stretch of road with little traffic, she chose to pass me close when there was another car coming and not another one in sight, why I'll never know, but apparently it was to get some groceries because I caught up to her as she turned into the stop and slop parking lot.

I considered following her in and taking said cell phone and putting it forcibly someplace dark and dank. Then I considered I'd have to use my foot to do it, and I kind of like my sneakers.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
My most recent close call came when a lady on a cell phone in a giant escalade decided to pass me. I was on McPherson drive- a long straight stretch of road with little traffic, she chose to pass me close when there was another car coming and not another one in sight, why I'll never know, but apparently it was to get some groceries because I caught up to her as she turned into the stop and slop parking lot.

I considered following her in and taking said cell phone and putting it forcibly someplace dark and dank. Then I considered I'd have to use my foot to do it, and I kind of like my sneakers.
One should always carry and empty grocery bag for just such occasions. to cover the sneaker of course

comfortableshoes

Jul 22, 2008
Beverly, MA USA
How about this one- a person came out of the stop and slop parking lot in a black VW beetle with no lights on, on the cell phone, over took me with in inches and drove me into the sidewalk.

I think Mass has more idiot drivers than anywhere else, or I have bad luck. I'm going to get some reflective stuff to put on my coat.

I also want a TShirt that says:
Warning: Object ahead of you maybe moving faster than you expect.

Wish I had that bag or my old sneakers on....

DakotaLynx

Oct 30, 2009
Marysville, WA
Given that anywhere between 60 and 80% of your braking potential is locked up in the front wheel, a front brake is a MUST for me. Most springer forks have a hole through the center support bar that you can at least put a large side pull brake on. (Just don't go with a stupid old center pull like I did.) I still want to get a drum brake and a springer fork for my Black Huffy. Still just has a coaster in the back. I'm thinking disk brakes from my Schwinn, but for now the factory V-pulls work well enough.

Keep on riding! ~Dakota Lynx

golfer

Jan 17, 2010
illinois
Its also good to have a great homemade lighting system, even used during the day, so you stand out more. Day and Night it makes more people aware of you. I have a system on mine. Dont have my engine yet but ill order tommorow. Cant wait!

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
My nephew and I were riding on the Natchez Trace with him in the lead. I saw a big black crew cab 1 ton diesel pickup behind me in my eyeglass mirror. He decided to pass with oncoming traffic and he was pulling a looong horse trailer. We were doing 22mph on a slight downhill and he was doing at least 50. He only had room to get about 3/4 of his rig past me before the oncoming vehicle was on him. He cut back in and I yelled to my nephew to hit the ditch and applied my vbrakes as hard as i could and went on the shoulder. My nephew was a relatively new rider and he would do what I told him without questions and that saved his life. WE were only shook up at the near miss and neither of us went down. The DIP S*** in the truck never slowed down. This was one of two near misses I have had in the last 25 years of riding. we both had helmets and gloves but neither would have helped in that situation.

Last edited:

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
This is how I put a brake on my springer. It works great! Got the parts from a mountain bike and just fabbed up the mounting bracket, drilled 2 holes, and used some washers to get the correct alignment.

Attachments

momentummotorgroup

Apr 10, 2009
grand rapids, michigan
i use a rear BMX style brake as well as the cruiser's coaster brake. I wonder about the safety of just having a front wheel brake, as I remember being a kid and hitting that front brake hard and catapulting over the handlebars. I can't imagine the same scenario at 25-30mph would be healthy..

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
i use a rear BMX style brake as well as the cruiser's coaster brake. I wonder about the safety of just having a front wheel brake, as I remember being a kid and hitting that front brake hard and catapulting over the handlebars. I can't imagine the same scenario at 25-30mph would be healthy..
I have a drum band brake on the back also. I don't think a front brake would launch you over the handle bars at 25-30mph, though. Probably the tire would skid and probably lay you down, but not over the bars if you had a brake that worked that well. I don't know, really. Never want to try it. I agree that either way, it wouldn't be healthy.

momentummotorgroup

Apr 10, 2009
grand rapids, michigan
you'd go over the bars w/o a rear brake, I'm fairly sure. I watched a motorcyclist last summer kill themselves on the highway going 70. I saw the brake light flash and the bike flipped and he launched a good 15 feet in the air before landing squarely on his noggin snapping his neck. there was nothing on the road in terms of debris or potholes that could have caused the launch. That was enough for me to make sure that my brakes are up to snuff everytime I head out.

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
Wow, that sucks! Was that a crotch rocket or a cruiser? Just curious. I've only had the tire skid on me and almost put me down on my cruiser. Never had a tire with that much traction I guess. I did stand my crotch rocket up on the nose a few times, so I guess I can understand that. I was never going that fast, though. That's also why I sold the CBR900 with nitros, I didn't respect it anymore. That's when you stand a greater chance of dying.