Don't Overtighten Gas Tanks

GoldenMotor.com

David D.

Sep 12, 2010
California
I use double sided foam tape made for insulation , about a 1/4" thick ...i tighten the tank till the straps just bend a little... the tanks stay put but you can move them if you grab the cap push side to side....worked good till just yesterday...got a call from a guy that bought a bike a week ago, said tank was leaking.... he drove 40 miles to my place and i gave him a new one... he had tightened it because "you could move it with your hand" .... same guy called three days ago with a broken stud in the intake manifold.....i see a pattern developing here..... if you are kinda new to engines just remember a drop of locktite( or squeeze the exposed threads a little with your pliers to prevent losing a nut on the road) and just good and snug is all it takes.... read bairdco's posts about motor mounts, he has it right.... i have had no problems with "cheap chinese parts or hardware yet....just overzealous mechanics.....

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
I have never seen a brand new tank that the nuts would thread up on the bolts. The cheap paint fills the threads. Before I mount the motor I set the tank on the frame and use the cheapest duct tape I can find. .99 cents @ Harbor Fright. I wrap,& wrap,& wrap till the whole roll is used. Then I paint the tank what ever color I want. rotfl Na, but really get a die at most any tool supply place and chase the threads. 4mm I think, 3 bucks or so. I also use an old tube as a pad to cover the space from tank to frame. Aircraft nuts are a safe choice also. (c)

fm2200

Nov 16, 2008
new york city
The small gauge nuts and bolts are a real problem if you not somewhat experienced in the ways of mechanical things. The best thing is to only tighten a small nut with a small amount of resistance. If your really not sure of it's holding power get the plastic nuts that they sell at Lowes, Home Depot or a hobby shop. They really are effective at not vibrating loose.

kipharley

Jul 9, 2009
Sanford,Maine
I use double sided foam tape made for insulation , about a 1/4" thick ...i tighten the tank till the straps just bend a little... the tanks stay put but you can move them if you grab the cap push side to side....worked good till just yesterday...got a call from a guy that bought a bike a week ago, said tank was leaking.... he drove 40 miles to my place and i gave him a new one... he had tightened it because "you could move it with your hand" .... same guy called three days ago with a broken stud in the intake manifold.....i see a pattern developing here..... if you are kinda new to engines just remember a drop of locktite( or squeeze the exposed threads a little with your pliers to prevent losing a nut on the road) and just good and snug is all it takes.... read bairdco's posts about motor mounts, he has it right.... i have had no problems with "cheap chinese parts or hardware yet....just overzealous mechanics.....
I use nyloc nuts with thread protectors.Kip.
[email protected]

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
I cut some motorcycle inertube about 4" and use 2 on a tank on each end. Use a glue gun and then snug the bolts up. Don't take much. They will move if you fall and I have never had a leak yet, except for those worthless petcocks that come with the kit.