Gallatin County Montana laws?

GoldenMotor.com

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.
Big Sky residents:
There are two other members identified on the member map as being in my area. Are there more of you? There's a local motorbike shop, and even though I havn't seen you, there must be a bunch of you...
Does anyone have any knowledge of the local laws on motorbikes? Belgrade PD, as usual; four patrolmen, four different answers.
Opinions and experiences welcome.
Thanks!

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
To whomever moved this thread, thank you.
I didn't know this forum existed. I have done some exploring and it seems I've been missing more that half of the content/functions here. Talk about new guy!
You finally found the search feature? :)

Hey Ryan 14. Searching for riders in Montana and saw your post

Moped Definition
In Montana, a moped falls under the definition of a bicycle.

61-8-102 (2) (b) “Bicycle” means:
(i) a vehicle propelled solely by human ..... or
(ii) a vehicle equipped with two or three wheels, foot pedals to permit muscular propulsion, and an independent power source providing a maximum of 2 brake horsepower. If a combustion engine is used, the maximum piston or rotor displacement may not exceed 3.05 cubic inches, 50 centimeters, regardless of the number of chambers in the power source. The power source may not be capable of propelling the device, unassisted, at a speed exceeding 30 miles an hour, 48.28 kilometers an hour, on a level surface. The device must be equipped with a power drive system that functions directly or automatically only and does not require clutching or shifting by the operator after the drive system is engaged.

The law that requires titles, registration and license plates, motor vehicle insurance, requires them for motor vehicles, trailers, semitrailers, pole trailers, campers, motorboats, personal watercrafts, sailboats, and snowmobiles. It does not mention bicycles.
The law that requires a driver's license to be carried at all times [61-5-116] applies only to licensees operating motor vehicles a bicycle is not a motor vehicle [61-1-101]

In short under 50cc and under 2hp keep it under 30 mph and no registration, insurance or license required.

Curlew

Feb 24, 2013
Butte MT
Hello.

Please go to butte59701.com
There is a lot of information concerning Montana Bicycle Laws along with Federal Law.

Curlew
butte59701.com
Vintage Radio

Curlew

Feb 24, 2013
Butte MT
Hello Trey,

1 ‘‘Motor-driven cycle’’ is defined as ‘‘a motorcycle with a motor that produces
5-brake horsepower or less.’’ 49 CFR 571.3.

If you read CFR ( Congressional Federal Regulation ) 571.3, it does not specify Fuel or Electric but does specify -- 5-brake horsepower or less.--. The question is, motors are rated in Watts and 746 watts= 1 HP, IC-Engines in horsepower.

There are a patch work of Laws that seem to contradict themselves and that is why BLM is in a panic about this issue.

All I want to know, is can I ride my "Powered Bicycle" on a Bicycle Trail?? Simple Yes or No answer will do.

Another difficult question for BLM, Are E-bikes Motorized??

CFR 571.3 is a Congressional Federal Regulation and BLM is a child of Depart. of Interior and the U.S.F.S, Depart. of Agriculture, so...do they have to follow Congressional Federal Regulations?? Has it been determined that Powered Bicycles under the Law "Bicycles"? Is it that Powered Bicycles are neither motor vehicles nor motorcycles??

These are questions you have to ask them, but make sure that you know the Facts before you say anything.

Spread the word about this. The more Powered bicycle Recreation trail users know about this, the more States and Gov. Agencies will have to look at it. I can tell you that BLM is having a very hard time with the LAW...
and, no-doubt trying to buy some Politician to change the Law as we speak, to suit the non-motorized policy!

Thanks for your reply, keep in touch. Get the Word Out, OK?
I'll try to keep everyone interested informed.

Wayne,
butte59701.com
Vintage Radio

pikeman1

Dec 3, 2012
Montana
I put these bikes together and like riding certain planned routes that I put together which leads me to my question. I want to ride the Great Northern Historic bike trail starting on the West side of Kalispell. However, this is a non motorized paved bike path. I often ride the paved bike trails, and no one has said anything yet. It seems like a grey area because anything under 50 cc is not considered a motorized vehicle. I found some evidence that motorized wheel chairs, E bikes, and motorized kit bikes may be allowed on these paths in some states. I'm not sure on this, can someone help me out?

unknownbmxa88

Mar 15, 2013
montana
i rode my old motorized bicycle on petes hill all the time last summer, but that is a very interesting question, i think its probaly going to come down to weather or not the ranger, or who ever stops you and asks what you doing is having a good day or not.
im working on a 35cc MTB and i plan to shred some trails this summer, so i guess we will see. havent had anyone get mad at me for riding one on the bike trail around town..

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
dont cha just love all the laws that contradict others?
Not to mention that Bozeman PD, Belgrade PD, Highway Patrol, The Sheriff and the many other departments here, all may have very different ideas as to what's what... these guys are no smarter than us (they ARE us) and they can't understand the laws either.
But I betcha money they'll figure out the wording for a ticket!
There's so many reasons why the Sheriff is the most important law enforcement officer in every county, he's who I'll ask about it, and give him a chance to earn my vote. Might even press him a little to get me something in writing about this. If you don't hear from me for 6 months, you'll know I pressed him too hard! LOL
I'll let you guys know when I find out.

unknownbmxa88

Mar 15, 2013
montana
hahah funny story, i was hauling down the galagator (sp?) you kno trail that goes from kagy and wilson to the downtown area by the library and petes hill and some uppity hippie were flaggin me down and yelling no motor vechicles! so i killed the motor as i passed and told them it was a bicycle in the eyes of the law...haha the look on there faces when i explained it to them..priceless. im almost sure they called the cops.

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Well, I have yet to speak to the Sheriff. I do however, have a real live Esquire looking into it a bit for me. I'd really like to have some solid info I could ask some questions about before I take up this fellas time. Slow and steady.

unknown- Yeah man, they can get pretty worked up. I haven't ridden mine much, but I've been up and down Main and back to Belgrade. Most people looked surprised, some were interested, but the one or two who weren't happy sure let me know! Sounds like you handled it right. Bet they had a dog and no way to clean up after it... lol
Have you signed on to the member map yet? Do you see many people on gas-bikes around here? I've never seen one, but there's at least three in the valley, and one each in Billings and Missula on this site.

Last edited:

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Has it really been two years? Huh...

To update for those searching this topic:

Well, today I spoke with a squared away deputy at Sheriff Gootkins' office (Gallatin County MT).
I asked for an internet reference to the law regarding bicycles, which he gave me from memory. After reading through it, I realized that I had asked the wrong question, so I called back and asked more specifically about M.A.B.s.
He asked for a minute to do some checking, then called me back in minutes and referred me to;

MCA Title 61-8-102, 2-b

Support your local Sheriff.

Last edited:

Donaldpi

Apr 2, 2015
Croatia
SDXzf0Ij

We method to perform some additionally query in regards to this.Provides appreciate you talking about that helpful knowledge.quite a fantastic write-up, making it very tell you. simply put i admired checking out each and every bit of knowledge inside this put up. I'm so which means grateful which i look over subsequently useful guide, cheers highly, be sure to keep on the good function. I enjoy whatever you get at this site, like what you do explaining and how that you assert the situation. You develop the idea exciting but you have the capacity to ensure that it stays smart That certain portion in reality made modify the sunlight found on in my opinion with regards the following issue should go. Yet somehow now surrounding you have a single problem Now i am not honestly too at ease with in addition to despite the fact I attempt which will get back together when using the key look of the spot, grant me personally see what the pleasure belonging to the potential customers really should try to say.Well completed. We appreciate you discussing ! quite interesting but how can i seek a interpretation ?It appears like every single real revenue intended for place survey is a reasonably ways shut off. We suppose a good deal more promoters might day trading towards strength along with level they can get a hold of by just connections other than anythingThanks pertaining to covering your own review. I must say i cherished the item. My partner and i location one of the links to help a good how do people there so that people know that Brillaint this really is impressive, thx!

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Is that you BOYGOFAST? :D
We method to perform some additionally query in regards to this.Provides appreciate you talking about that helpful knowledge.quite a fantastic write-up, making it very tell you. simply put i admired checking out each and every bit of knowledge inside this put up. I'm so which means grateful which i look over subsequently useful guide, cheers highly, be sure to keep on the good function. I enjoy whatever you get at this site, like what you do explaining and how that you assert the situation. You develop the idea exciting but you have the capacity to ensure that it stays smart That certain portion in reality made modify the sunlight found on in my opinion with regards the following issue should go. Yet somehow now surrounding you have a single problem Now i am not honestly too at ease with in addition to despite the fact I attempt which will get back together when using the key look of the spot, grant me personally see what the pleasure belonging to the potential customers really should try to say.Well completed. We appreciate you discussing ! quite interesting but how can i seek a interpretation ?It appears like every single real revenue intended for place survey is a reasonably ways shut off. We suppose a good deal more promoters might day trading towards strength along with level they can get a hold of by just connections other than anythingThanks pertaining to covering your own review. I must say i cherished the item. My partner and i location one of the links to help a good how do people there so that people know that Brillaint this really is impressive, thx!