Evolution of the early motorcycle.

GoldenMotor.com

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Think about it, how rough would it have to be to hit the engine? In most circumstances it wouldn't be a problem.

It does actually solve where to place a wide motor when you want to retain a carrier on the bike but it's too much to go inside the frame loop.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
I do suspect, though, that a lot of riders of that era rode on surfaces that were about as rough as farm lanes. In the big cities? Maybe not. But even there I'll bet not all of the roads were perfect.

Still, the early motorcycles and cars somehow managed to survive and flourish. So I guess that means that some critical mass of operators learned how to ride on rough surfaces with minimal damage. And those who couldn't, or wouldn't, get the hang of it went back to walking.

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
There's a very good reason why this old motor-bicycle made me sit up and take notice. Firstly the engine in all its noisiness, heat, oiliness, petrolyness and tangly driving bitsness is at the back of the bike out of the way. In addition to that the engine is mounted low which helps the centre of gravity a lot. I own a FWD high mounted friction driver bicycle already and while the general steering geometry and handling is none too bad the high centre of gravity is annoying at times.

The second thing is that I dress in an old fashioned way with long skirts so the vintage 28 inch wheeled ladies bicycles I ride are entirely practical for me. And being nice old elderly bicycles I don't want to do anything to them which cannot be undone by undoing a few nuts and bolts. Frame cutting or welding is completely out of the question.
I have been doing some work on motorwheel type attachments and I will keep on with that, BUT as soon as I get my order into IronMaiden for the necessary steel I will be constructing an engine attachment just like the one in the old photo to fit one of my elderly bicycles. It goes without saying that Villiers engines will be playing a large part in this.

I messed around with my faux-Rudge power-bicycle based on a Mixte frame for quite a while, but I could never get the engine placement and the drive laid out in such a way that it wasn't a confounded nuisance to somebody wearing an ankle length skirt who wasn't quite as agile as she used to be. Eventually all the bits from that project will get transferred over to another frame once I can find something suitable.

With the engine I will be using as well as the diameter of the wheels on my elderly bicycles I don't see any problems with any part of the engine being likely to strike the ground unless I want to start riding across boulder strewn fields. So there you go it's a plan and I'm doing it. ;) :)

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Something else comes to mind. Doesn't that mount also mean that the center of gravity is rather far toward the rear. Is that bike in danger of the tail wagging the dog?

But don't take me too seriously. I'm really not quite the Doubting Thomas that I might sound like. These questions are fairly idle. More along the lines of curiosity than true skepticism. Not to mention the fact that if anyone can make such a design work, Intrepid Wheelwoman is the one.

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
Thanks BGW :) Yes the tail wagging the dog aspect of this drive layout did concern me a bit, but I think it can be managed Ok. I don't think it would be any worse than the pendulum effect of having an engine mounted over a front wheel on a bike.

But should I ever post a 'selfie' of me looking disheveled and sitting in a ditch you'll know this idea didn't work out ;)

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
The weight and power of the engine relative to cycle and rider mass won't be in the Porsche league, so I don't see it suddenly spinning 180 degrees without warning.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
IWW, will you be using chain, belt or Cannonball spoked roller to drive the wheel?

kevyleven007

Sep 25, 2008
texas
couldn't you just see IWW doing an out of control wheelie down the road at full throttle? Like in a silent movie? >joke<

allen standley

Oct 22, 2011
Bangor, Maine
But should I ever post a 'selfie' of me looking disheveled and sitting in a ditch you'll know this idea didn't work out

That caused me to chuckle although probably wouldn't be funny.
Thanks Lud for the find. I bookmarked lots of good stuff here.