Felt Electric....anyone?

GoldenMotor.com

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
Everybody is jumping on the Bosch bandwagon.

"Another bit of good news is that manufacturers will be able to specify the Bosch “45″ unit, which is capable of 45 k/h (27-MPH), although it may be electronically limited to 20-MPH on any bikes sold in North America that are not designated as “off-road only” bikes. This is because the USA has a 20-MPH speed limit for E-bikes that want to avoid DOT moped laws, which would require a license, registration, insurance, along with head-lights/tail-lights and turn signals.

Although Canada has a 500W power limit, the USA has a 750W limit (one horse-power). the Bosch-45 unit is listed as 350W continuous, and also 500W temporary peak power output."

http://www.electricbike.com/trek-bosch/

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I wonder what the voltage and watts are.
Me too as that looks like one really wimpy battery.

I haven't formed an opinion on the BOSH frame BB motor yet, hard to know with no real specs.

What I do know is Fat Tires are getting popular and I have a 1680W 50V 7-speed electric with dual discs in the bay now that will sell for a 1/3rd that price and run circles around that Felt and still go farther.

Unless of course Felt found a tiny battery based on like Dilithium Chrystal's or something from Star Trek ;-}

FFV8

Oct 29, 2013
Spring Valley NV
Uh, no thanks.

After enough encounters with bosch tools and appliances to know about the marginal engineering and zero - reserve designs I would not take it as a gift.

If the PCB in the bottom bracket does not get wet first & let the smoke out, the teeth will come off of the plastic gears at the bottom of a steep hill miles from home...

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
Uh, no thanks.

After enough encounters with bosch tools and appliances to know about the marginal engineering and zero - reserve designs I would not take it as a gift.

If the PCB in the bottom bracket does not get wet first & let the smoke out, the teeth will come off of the plastic gears at the bottom of a steep hill miles from home...

Good looking out for us that dont know much about that drive. Looks nice from the outside. I will be doing my own setup soon so we shall see what drive I come up with.

CoolCruiser

Jun 15, 2012
Massachusetts
The Bosch mid drive system is very nice with internal multi gear transmission. Very nice but too expensive IMO. Mid drive motors have advantages, The Bafang bbs02 750W motor is a nice cheaper option that I'm going to try. I'll see how it goes with a 7 gear rear deraileur but may upgrade to a nuvinci rear hub.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
The Bosch mid drive system is very nice with internal multi gear transmission. Very nice but too expensive IMO. Mid drive motors have advantages, The Bafang bbs02 750W motor is a nice cheaper option that I'm going to try. I'll see how it goes with a 7 gear rear deraileur but may upgrade to a nuvinci rear hub.
SickBikeParts.com has a nice 36V or 48V 1680W mid-drive with a programmable Kelly controller for ~$400.

I'd forget about using a NuVinci, I built 5 gas shifters using them and 2 failed.
Besides that you simply don't need all that gear ratio flexibility.

With all the useable RPM range and power of an electric just a 3 speed internal is all you need and it's much smoother to operate than a derailleur.

As a bonus you can use a nice HD 410 single speed chain.

Just a tip if you stay with the 7-speed, I find just using just 2nd 4th and 6th works great for city riding.

CoolCruiser

Jun 15, 2012
Massachusetts
SickBikeParts.com has a nice 36V or 48V 1680W mid-drive with a programmable Kelly controller for ~$400.

I'd forget about using a NuVinci, I built 5 gas shifters using them and 2 failed.
Besides that you simply don't need all that gear ratio flexibility.

With all the useable RPM range and power of an electric just a 3 speed internal is all you need and it's much smoother to operate than a derailleur.

As a bonus you can use a nice HD 410 single speed chain.

Just a tip if you stay with the 7-speed, I find just using just 2nd 4th and 6th works great for city riding.
What IGH have you used with a mid drive motor? Everything I read states that they all end up failing. I suppect I'll be fine with just using the 7 current gear setup as I'll only need a couple gears with this motor.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
What IGH have you used with a mid drive motor? Everything I read states that they all end up failing. I suppect I'll be fine with just using the 7 current gear setup as I'll only need a couple gears with this motor.
Mostly Shimano Nexus 3-speeds, but a couple other brands and despite even 3.5HP gas not seen one fail yet.

More than that and they may be suspect, but a 66cc with an X-chamber is usually enough for most riders and the most besides an electric I've thrown at one.