Registering Motorized Bicycle aka Moped (Massachusetts)

GoldenMotor.com

stinkfoot

Jul 10, 2014
Boston
Ok, so here I am ready to hit the road with my fellow moto bike buddies! Before I even attempt to zip around my town of canton ma, how do I get this thing registered?

According to Mass RMV it needs to meet standards of under 50cc and have a VIN number.

Being that this is a bicycle how can I get it registered? Can I use whatever numbers that's on the bicycle frame as the VIN for the rmv?

When I see police vehicles I pedal to the sidewalk kill the engine and continue on like it's no one's business but once they are out of sight I pop the clutch and hit the road.

I want to play it safe and save myself a citation or tow/storage fees. Experienced Mass motor bike feedback is encourage!dance1

stinkfoot

Jul 10, 2014
Boston
Ok, so what your telling me to do is fill out the conversion form. Find the serial number on bike, add some randoms numbers and the RMV accepts it as vin?

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Like I said I've never used the conversion form. I've only used the
Moped form. Yes I added numbers to the serial number to get enough for a vin. With the DMV I feel you have to go in confident, dressed presentable with form(s) filled out, cash and bill of sale ready ( my awesome wife sells me my mopeds) I usually bring my hyperactive kids who love to ask questions and the teller usually does my forms in a minute or two. I've done several this way.