Rag joint blues

GoldenMotor.com

Toothy

Mar 25, 2014
San Diego
Heck.....you think you have it down and then a noobie mistake from ur past reminds you that basics matter. Things were not running as smoothly as I thought. I pulled the clutch and walked my bike watching the back wheel and chain. I'm seeing slack go to tight.
I remember that the rag was a little off but at the time I was so consumed with all the other crap that I figured it would be ok.
I would like to get a good hub mount but I have a no name bike...don't know if the hub will fit or if the coaster arm will be an issue. What is a good method to center the rag? I remember it moving off center when I tightened the bolts down and was playing a game of whac a mole.

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
I have used 'paddle pop' sticks.
3 pieces of anything of the same thickness that will jam in the gap between hub and sprocket, Have heard of using epoxy then to help keep it in place once you have it right.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
I think we should change the name from "rag joint" to "rubber biscuit".

The easiest way to keep the 'biscuit' centered while tightening is to use a criss-cross pattern while slowly building up to the final tightness. I think I went around 4 or 5 times, getting progressively tighter.

Best of luck!!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Centering the sprocket on the hub isn't really necessary. What you want to see is near perfect concentricity with the outside diameter, the teeth of the sprocket with the hub.

Make a pointer using something like a clothes hanger wire and attach it securely to the bike frame. Set the end of your pointer at the edge of the sprocket teeth then rotate the rear wheel watching to see if the teeth stay at the same place compared to the pointer as the wheel turns. Leave the sprocket bolts snug but not tight and use a plastic head hammer or a block of wood and tap the sprocket in the direction it needs to go to get it to spin concentric with the hub. Keep doing this process until the pointer and the outer edges of the sprocket teeth are always aligned through a complete revolution of the wheel.

Centering the sprocket hole to the hub is a good way, BUT, it depends on the sprocket hole being prefectly centered to the teeth. I've seen a few that weren't and even if centered on the hub the sprocket would not spin true. This is why I abandoned the hub/sprocket hole centering concept.

While you're doing the centering you'll also want to make sure the sprocket runs true in the lateral plane. It can't wobble side to side. It must spin true in both axis as viewed from the side and from the front/back .

If you opt for the sprocket adapter approach you must have an accurate measurement of the hub diameter. It can't be 'close' or 'about right' it must be a precise measurement down to the thousands of an inch. Compare your measurements with those offered by adapter makers for an adapter that will fit your hub. Some of them will even make a custom adapter but they aren't cheap. Good luck.

Tom

Last edited:

Toothy

Mar 25, 2014
San Diego
Tom….thanks.
That sounds like a great way to get things centered. Ingenious. I’m dreading this job though. I’ve taken that wheel on and off way too many times. Hopefully this will be it. I’ll let you know how I get on.
Thanks again for taking the time!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Toothy,
Another thing to look for is the thickness of the rubber parts. It isn't uncommon to find one, or both, that were cut on an angle. In other words one side can be thicker/thinner than the other. This will assure you a wobble.
You have two options if that is the case. You can order a new rag joint or you can grind the rubber parts so they are flat and consistant thickness across their face.

It's easy to see that if the rubber parts aren't flat that when the sprocket is tightened against them that the sprocket will have a side to side wobble. Roller chain doesn't like that and can derail.

Tom

Toothy

Mar 25, 2014
San Diego
OK....I'll look at the rubber also. When you say tap the sprocket, is it ok to hit the teeth or on the inner rim. I would rather not take the coaster brake apart again.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
OK....I'll look at the rubber also. When you say tap the sprocket, is it ok to hit the teeth or on the inner rim. I would rather not take the coaster brake apart again.
You want to tap on the sprocket teeth. That's why I suggested using a plastic hammer or a block of wood. You don't want hammer on the teeth with a steel hammer.

Tom

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
By the time you get a rag joint set up properly, you'll be thinking $90 for a hub adapter is a pretty good deal.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I disagree. Takes me about 10-15 minutes to install most rag-joints. I use a screw gun with a socket and tighten it with the screw gun clutch to keep things even. Works like a charm.
15 minutes beats $90 in my book.....

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I disagree. Takes me about 10-15 minutes to install most rag-joints. I use a screw gun with a socket and tighten it with the screw gun clutch to keep things even. Works like a charm.
15 minutes beats $90 in my book.....
Yep. Set the screw gun clutch to a desired torque and start tightening in a cross pattern, increasing the torque until all nine fasteners are to the desired value. That should be about 60 inch pounds. While you're doing it keep spinning the wheel to make sure you're not tightening a wobble in.

The only problem I've ever had was with sprockets that were warped or rubber pieces that weren't cut correctly. Both can be fixed with a little effort.
Once installed correctly the much maligned 'rag joint' will perform perfectly.

Tom

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
That's how I did mine, just set the clutch low and get it assembled, then position it and go back and tighten everything up in the criss cross pattern... I also noticed how sloppy mine were cut and each half was a bit thicker on one side, but I was able to clock the rubber disks to where everything was pretty much even once installed so the side to side wobble was minimal then adjusted how tight the bolts were to bring it as true as possible. It does require locktiting the bolts and going back after about 50 miles or so to check/readjust it. As far as mine being centered on the hub, the hole in my sprocket center was very close to the same size of the hub it went over so I was able to just eyeball that part.
I do intend to get or make a better sprocket/hub adaptor but for now mine's trouble free other than having to adjust it a few times after the first few rides, but it did settle in pretty good and the readjustments are few and far between now.