Magic Pie 3

GoldenMotor.com

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
i am not sure on cost difference unless it cost more to have the wheel ready for the free wheel. i believe rear wheel is a lot safer. i have have a magic pie 3 and a smart pie and they are great kits. both mine are rear wheel

Stoney

Jan 23, 2009
santa barbara
I believe another advantage to having it on the rear wheel is regenative braking. As they posted earlier it is GREAT for stopping power w/o wearing on your brakes. Also at the 1000 + watts it is "safer" for spinout (meaning the hub actually loosens and spins the axle). If I am indeed wrong about regen only on rear wheel than I would put it on the front wheel (I have a cadillac fleetwood with the nuvinci rear.).

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
i can find out for you stoney. i am not sure if the front wheel has regen braking but i believe it does. i will have an answer for you tonight. still 5am in china. if i had a nuvinci hub i would want to keep it and have front wheel magic pie 3 also

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
just got email back from golden motor. front and rear wheel have the same motor and controller. The only difference is the mounting due to width of fork and sproket. hope that helps with your decision. i look forward to hearing and seeing your build

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
yes i did and yes you can stoney
with the magic pie 3 the engine braking is phenomenal. i hardly ever actually engage the real brakes. you can also program the percentage of regen braking. i have mine set at about 43%.

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
I wish I could change settings so easily on mine. The programmable brushless controllers are so cool!

Does it freewheel unless you're on the brake lever?

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
yes it freewheels pretty good. not as well as a wheel with no motor but way better then any gas bike i have ever had or ridden

kevyleven007

Sep 25, 2008
texas
Sounds like its worth the $ to me.I think thats what I'm going to go with next time.Magic pie 3 rear wheel.Can you get that with a 7 speed?does it really hit 28mph?I've done a lot of looking and it really is hard to beat.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
yes it really does 28mph with a 48v motor. the wheel is set up with a hyperglide free wheel mount for your gears. lots of bikes come stock with them. here is a link the magic pie is set up for the freewheel on the left

Attachments

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
here are a few other things i found out about difference of magic pie 2 and 3
magic pie 3 has

30 percent more Climbing torque.
Easily replaceable controller
Better Heat Dissipating with self cooling fan
Water-proof Wiring set with silver plated plug-ins. The cables have been completly redone from end to end and the improvment in quality and ease of use.