Value of barnfind pacemaker??

GoldenMotor.com

nutz4vws

Jul 24, 2011
Hello and thank you in advance for any information you will provide.

I recently stumbled across a Whizzer Pacemaker, seller says it is a '52. It appears to be complete but has sat(indoors) for 5o years, tires rotting off, assume the engine does not turn over, rusted but not pitted I think, can still see the maroon color and "whizzer" on gas tank.
I only looked at it for a few moments but I'm going back within the next few days to inspect closer and take some pics, and I am going to do some research before I make an offer.
I've already come across some conflicting evidence pertaining to the year. I will look for the things to try and determine the exact model/year(serial #, seat mounting, frt fender mounts, what else?). One thing I did notice was the rear of the frame, behind the rear axle, were the flared out style to catch the kick stand.
My question is what a fair price would be for me to buy it? The initial figure I heard was $2000! I know it's not worth near that much, but how much?
I know I did not provide enough info to determine an exact price, and I will post more info and pics within the next few days.
I appreciate your input.

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
Please share the pictures when you get them. Everyone loves to see a barn find. Very few people actually find one.

nutz4vws

Jul 24, 2011
OK here are some pics. The engine turns over freely. All the motor mounts are clamp on style-none welded to frame. The seat is mounted on post bicycle style. Note the gusset where the frame members meet the steering tube. It is missing the chain guard and exhaust pipe.

So what do you think? Any ideas on what year this is? I'm considering making an offer but want to make sure I don't overpay. What is the value as it sits?

Quentin, you seem to be the man when it comes to Whizzers, what do you think?

I'm a total newbie to this scene and just looking for a little input from the experts on this site. I certainly will appreciate any and all info/advise.

Thanks for looking!

Attachments

SlickmisterN

Feb 27, 2009
Napa
Are the old whizzer bikes where the peanut style gas tank was first introduced for bicycles? And in the 40+ years that passed why haven't we been able to get away from that design and into a more readily available alternative? Anyone Anyone? Beuller?

flatblack

May 22, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Well, I would say that it is a classic design. Very similar to motorcycles of the day, and even currently. That tank looks much better dropped down over the top bar than the crappy turd that comes with our kits. China is good at "almost" getting it right. The tank in the kits is the "almost."...among other things. Guessing it would cost a bit more per unit for it to sit down over the top bar because of manufacturing costs. So they "almost" have a replica of the classic. People who buy cruiser style bike want that look. That's why they bought a cruiser. Now, once you get it and get hooked, do you want something different like an in-frame or an Imperial Cycles tank? Maybe, depends on your taste. There's a lot of options out there. Depends on your creativity and the style of bike you're going for.

FarRider

Jun 8, 2011
Brooklyn N.Y.
Sweet old ride, Neil Young was right, rust never sleeps.
Id say $500 to $1000 would be a fair price, but its going to take forever/cost a fortune to restore.
I'd consider that in the offering price.
FR

nutz4vws

Jul 24, 2011
Ok I bought it. I probably overpaid but I don't care, I like it.

I believe it is an early 1948. The serial number is 484. So I think this is a frame that Whizzer made before Schwinn sued and started producing frames for whizzer. The engine serial is J-227567, it has a model N carter carb.

So now the fun begins. I need to get an exhaust pipe, chain guard, tires, compression twist grip ass'y, new cables, and probably a bunch of other stuff. If anyone has extra stuff let me know.

I'm first going to clean it up and get it mechanically sound and ride it before I start complete resto. brnot

Thanks

jbcruisin

Oct 10, 2008
Lebanon, Pa.
Ok I bought it. I probably overpaid but I don't care, I like it.

I believe it is an early 1948. The serial number is 484. So I think this is a frame that Whizzer made before Schwinn sued and started producing frames for whizzer. The engine serial is J-227567, it has a model N carter carb.

So now the fun begins. I need to get an exhaust pipe, chain guard, tires, compression twist grip ass'y, new cables, and probably a bunch of other stuff. If anyone has extra stuff let me know.

I'm first going to clean it up and get it mechanically sound and ride it before I start complete resto. brnot

Thanks
Here's where I get vintage Whizzer parts at a fair price:

Whizzer Works

Memory Lane Classics

I hope this helps you.
Jay

nutz4vws

Jul 24, 2011
I see Memorylane is having a swap meet next weekend. Anyone here ever attend one of theirs? Is it a big one? Lots of whizzer stuff? It's about a 100 mile trek for me, would it be worth my while to go? Thanks everyone for your input.

jbcruisin

Oct 10, 2008
Lebanon, Pa.
I see Memorylane is having a swap meet next weekend. Anyone here ever attend one of theirs? Is it a big one? Lots of whizzer stuff? It's about a 100 mile trek for me, would it be worth my while to go? Thanks everyone for your input.
Go to it. They were at Portland, Indiana a few weeks ago at the rally there. I got lots of stuff from them. You'll love it.

Hi Nutz4vws,

Sorry I haven't responded sooner, however been busy with shows & rallies over the last month.

You have an early 1948. The early pacemaker can be identified by the welded gussets at the front, "loops" at the rear, and the use of a regular seat post. A few of the very first 1948s used "H" motors, but very few. The front fork is also different [uses different rubber stops]. All Pacemakers from 1948 to 1950 used the "loop" frame, and discontinued the "Loops" on the 1951 & 1952 frames. The 1949 and later had a large seat attached to the frame and lowered the rider position by several inches. All Pacemakers were maroon and all were 24". The 1950 Pacemaker had the more powerful "300" motor and the 5" rear brake. The 1952 pacemaker had the "700" series motor, 5" rear brake, head & tail light [powered by the built-in alternator].

The most desirable Pacemakers are the 1950 and later because of the more powerful motor, and the 5" rear brake [I have a 1950].

You have one of the rarest, and rumors still suggest Cleveland Welding may have made the first 500 for Whizzer, but Schwinn made all the rest [due to court battle over frame design]. It looks like your motor has a few "different" parts, such as the head and exhaust manifold. The original 1948 Pacemaker had the "flex" exhaust system with a cast iron manifold.

The larger Carter carburetor was used on the majority of Pacemakers. The correct generator was the Bendix mounted on the belt guard for the 1948 pacemaker.

If you need help locating parts, let me know.

The chainguard will be expensive and very hard to find [Might try to contact Fred White, as he ended up with the last one I had]. One in bad condition with the brackets missing would bring over $75.00, good news.............brackets are still available.

Hope this information is helpful.

Have fun,

nutz4vws

Jul 24, 2011
Restoration Started

I bought this in August, the first pic is the day I brought it home, the second pic was taken today.
Being a "motor guy", the first thing I did was pull the engine and dis-assemble. It had a stuck exhaust valve but aside from that everything looked real good. I did a valve job, blasted and painted the cylinder, blasted the head, ex manifold and cleaned up everything else. The rod journal mics a little under so I'm considering having it ground before I put it together. I also built an engine stand for assembly and to test run it.
I just got back into dis-assembly after a six week hiatus due to a heavy overtime work schedule. It's all apart now and I'm sending a box of parts out this week for re-chrome. I also want to get the frame and forks media blasted this week.
I need to find a paint guy local to me. There are a couple little dents in the tank I'd like to get bumped out if possible(as opposed to filler).
I'm going to try and use as many original parts as possible and replace only what is necessary.
I'd like to thank Quentin and everyone else for their input, past and future.
My goal is to have it road worthy in August 2012. I have until then to collect on a bet(it's up to $150 right now) when I ride it on my 30+ mile commute to work.

Attachments

1941ford

Dec 18, 2011
shirley ny
hi guys just found this site,im a long time whizzer nut,bought my first whizzer in 1956,nothing fancy schwinn cantilever springer with a H KIT and twist grips,i then but a 1950 sportsman for the high price of $65 LOL,it had the bimatic 2 speed trans that never worked and sold it,i now have 3 pacemakers a 1948 1950 1951 a 1950 sportsman and seceral other schwinn wizzers including a WZ the 50 pacemaker in picture was a barn find 100 percent original right down to the tires...

Attachments