mtr three wheel scooter

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Okay I have dealt with this three wheel thing since the big accident in the ides of august. So I have decided it is time to build a three wheel scooter with a motor. So Tomorrow I am going to begin. First I have to spring for some angle iron or angle steel actually. I have decided to build the rear end of the tri wheel scooter using 16" bicycle wheels.

I am going to bringing in a lot of stuff I have already used. In this case first I am going to build what amounts to a trailer with outrigger support for the rear wheel. Then I am going to attach a bicycle frame to the top of the trailer The front end will be the bicycle frame with a smaller wheel than fort. In that way I can use the same mounting technique to mount the motor that I used on the tricycle I just finished.

SO I will try to keep you informed and send pictures along the way.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I tossed the bike frame I had held onto in case I wanted to ride a two wheeler again. So for this project I have been thinking, I want a twenty inch frame with rear 16" wheels and the 2.5 ifan motor on the rear. So on Monday I am going to go to the thrift shop and see if I can find a not too bad twenty inch bike.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Today I bought three 36"x 3/4x 3/4 inch steel angle pieces. Those will make the frame of my double wheel rear for the three wheel scooter. I have to call it a scooter because it isn't going to have a drive wheel and chain. We will see what come from it all.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I done been released lol. I have been working on stuff all along just having to take it really slow and not do too much.

Thanks for the kind words and also all the good thoughts that came my way.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
the angle would have been much better if it have been one inch on each side. I might have to make some kind of adjustment to make it more secure.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Now that I have this thing built, I'm going to put the motor on next but I think I might have made a mistake in not including some kind of pedal option. I guess only time will tell/

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
You're gonna run into probs being top heavy Deacon !!!
...gotta watch out for that...
I really do think you'd be far better off with the tadpole configuration... and safer.
(I've flipped trikes many times!)

Best
rc

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
If you have an old 26" frame laying around and its easy to do so Id swap it out with the 20"(using the same wheels) to get some wheel base, that looks a little close coupled. RC has a point its not real wide. If I were going to use that configuration Id mount the engine(Lifan) at the rear so its low, and run a belt driven cross drive shaft to both wheels(FD) via a cent. clutch. With a cent. clutch and a proper ratio it will easily pull from stop with no problems, since there are no pedals. You can mount up a drive system in a similar fashion to the way you put brakes on the last trike. Just some thoughts.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
can always use the help guys. I might drop the seat down to a big wheel configuration. make a giant go cart from it. If it will friction drive pull from a dead stop. Otherwise I'm not sure what I'm going to do. Heck it won't be the first project I abandoned in the middle. Maybe axle pegs for my feet.

Yes it is my plan for a rear wheel drive., but there is no central axle. We will see what it does when I get a motor on it. Trust me I plan to be very, very careful. I am thoroughly gun shy at the moment.

Last edited:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Looks like i't going to chalk this up to experience and leave it sitting a while. I got it all tobether then found out I couldn't get the engine on it the way I wanted. I might come back to it later. It was stable though as I thought it would be. I might could have set the engine on the front and made it work but I really felt as though as narrow as the rear was it needed the motor back here to hold it down.

So for now I am moving on to redo the Miami Sun Trike. The vibrations loosened all the nuts. Naturally it came apart on me.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Even from my failure I learn something. When the miami sun trike goes belly up, I know how to replace it for under fifty dollars. I just get a 24 inch bike frame of any kind at the thrift store. I build one of those outrigger trailer type frames like I did for this trike using twenty inch wheels, Then I go to the front and put a motor on the front fork like i did for the miami sun but the bigger ilfan or predator type. The it will be a trike with no pedals.

plus i can reuse all the materials of this trike in other builds. So the actual loss here might have been five dollars. A cheap learning experience.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
IMO, Deacon, that sun trike might be your best bet right now, with some gussets welded on to strengthen the frame where needed, for mab use.
lol ...I STILL think a motor tadpole would be best, and more fun for you! :)
Best
rc

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
way to expensive to buy and I lack the skill to build one. I am but a poor wood butcher turned metal butcher.

Gonna ride the sun till it dies then build the scooter from the ground up.