expidition impossible

GoldenMotor.com

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Got up at the crack and took the Mongoose out for an extended run to a town about 25mi distant. Good mix of hills and flats. The average speed on the computer was 20.1 pretty much what I guessed. Criuse on the flats is 22. Twisted up this bike will run nearly 28 but 22 is just such a great criuse speed. Smooth and quiet. What all this boils down to is a long distance ride is perfectly doable. Was looking for any "comfort" issues and I think I need a seat upgrade, and maybe some "up" handle bars as mine are slightly downward curved putting me on my palms, not real good for a long duration. So the bike is pretty well optimized mechanically for a long distance trip. Deacon thought any more about a big bore touring bike or are you still leaning towards WE power?

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
As far as comfort goes, have you looked in to a recumbent design? I run a "recumbent" and it is nice for cruising, it would be easy to to do to any 26" bike, You just have to modify the front fork and put a 20" wheel on it. But a nice comfy seat on it and away you go, if you ever get tired of it, swap your forks out, put your cranks back in and change your seat.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
No hadnt thought of it. Grew up riding old Triumph MCs with the classic "sit up and beg" riding position, kinda used to it. However you got me thinking about it now, I do ahve some victims on had to experiment with. Hmmm...

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Thats a great idea Fulltimer, except I have limited myself on clearance behind the seat on this bike. The idea was to get the engine over the "hump" on the tire and down to lower the CG. worked great but with the clearance drawback. The Pearsons seat I have is not bad and I could probably stand it, was thinking about a comfort seat of some sort. I bought one not long ago off ebay that I have on another bike. It has a gel pad on a spring web, with elasomeric springs. really comfortable. I think one of those and a set of 5" up bars will do the trick.

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
If you go the semi recumbent route, the seat can slide forward a bit leaving plenty of room for a back rest

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
This is your fault ferball! lol! Ok Deacon Im putting the finishing details in this build for the EI ride, Ferball was right this is the way to go, like sitting in an easy chair easing down the road, got maybe 20mi so far and I really like it. Have probably and additional 5mi pedal only to get used to it. Very easy to ride you just have to get used to the long wheel base. I got slow riding down to where I can make turns(circles) in the road where the rear wheel stays almost stationary, cool! Any way deacon this is a good bike for you, its low and you just settle down into it, no leg throwing. Now to make a trailer hook up. Am hopping its not going to be too long with the trailer. Thanks ferball!

Attachments

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Darn that looks perfect for over the tire friction drive engines. Now do it full suspension and you will have the perfect motor bike in my opinion.

Last edited:

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
OK Deacon, gettin close to a Lexus ride now! Had a spring and nose piece set left from my Harley bobber build. Fit like a glove. Now I am riding on 2" barrel springs, rode nicely before. A cush ride for sure now! Once determimed the seat position is ideal will weld the nose piece instead of using the hose clamp. Have a suspension front in in the works, but not sure it really needs it, we will see.

Attachments

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
springs on the seat what a great idea. I wonder now if I couldn't mount a big seat on the top of a spring loaded seat post. I bet someone makes something like that now