Airbag for Cyclists

GoldenMotor.com

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
I thought this was interesting:

The latest is an airbag collar aimed at cyclists called the Hövding that is worn around the neck and inflates to enclose the rider's head in the event of an accident.
There's a vid at the bottom of the link showing it in action.

Airbag Cyclist Collar

It even went off when the test dummy spilled over the bars. Cool, eh?

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
Oh Snap! Hope you're alright man! Well since Halloween is so close, you could've said you were going for an 'instant Michelin man' costume :p

Drive safe!

Elixys

Sep 14, 2010
Midland, TX
huh....i think i would rather just wear my helmet. its reusable, and isnt a one time only shot even if i lay my bike down once in a while.....lol crash test dummy faceplant

DudeZXT

Jun 20, 2010
Lexington, KY
Looks like a great idea, but I would be concerned about the torque of my engine setting it off...

Can't be inexpensive, either... Yah, $455 is a killer price. How many helmets would that buy from Walmart???

Last edited:

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
How many heads can you buy from Walmart? You gotta $5 head, you buy a $5 helmet. You gotta $300 head, you buy a $300 helmet. A good helmet is usually only good for one crash anyways (to the head that is), then it is advised that you replace your damaged helmet.....period..bf.

kevinkrg6

Jun 3, 2011
ohio
It seems like a cool idea, but I watched the videos, and it seems like it really wouldn't do much of anything.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
That is awesome Killer. Thanks for posting.

Part of the reason I wear a big silly helmet is to warn cars I am going faster then a regular bicycle but some times I really just want to enjoy the air blowing threw your hair thing.

Another thing I think is great about this and why I use a stryofoam filled helmet is what is gonna kill us is an impact. At our speeds, not gonna go skidding down the highway. At least on my builds, snork. (none go more then 35 or so)

I should say I have yet to test that theory but will and will post a vid. There is a science center in Hartford that has this helmet tester exhibit. You put a helmet on a head with a spring for a neck> You push a button and it draws up this giant sledge hammer then you release it and it smashes in to the helmet. I just have not been able to bring my self to destroy my helmet even for a good cause. It is really cool looking and saved me once already.

But I really like that collar one! I find I enjoy riding a great deal more when I feel safer.