How to replace seals?

GoldenMotor.com

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
Curious how to replace the seals - should I use an assembly grease? As well, what's the best method to removing the seals without splitting the case?

Or answer it backwards - how should I not install the seals? How should I NOT remove the old seals?

usflg

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
I have never had to replace any seals on these engines, have on other engines. That being said, the seals come out from the outside. I have a seal remover, but if I didn't I'd take a small pick, poke a hole in the old seal and with a fulcrum pry up. When installing you can use a little lube, and tap with a small hammer around the seal metal, evenly around till seated. OR better if you have one, a socket just shy of the seal diameter. Tap in slowly, don't just drive on. The inner seal, around the seal should be lubed. Sometimes I'll use a small amount of RTV around where the seal seats...small amount. Two days ago I completed a top end on a Mazda Miata, their instructions (per Haynes) for installing the camshaft seal was to use RTV where the seal set into the cap. And no need for Duct Tape...:>)

Last edited:

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
The seal was in two pieces when I got it out, so it came out with a bent safety pin easily.

To place it in, I slightly pressed it, and then used the sparkplug tool to set it.