Proposed Build

GoldenMotor.com

Yankee Rider

Aug 23, 2010
San Francisco Bay Area
Requirements Analysis:
I need a hill, heat and traffic beater to get me around on a day to day basis. I am in the bay area, Concord Ca, and the cops seem pretty mellow here abouts, and even more so in Santa Clara and Santa Cruz Counties, which are places wherein I have errands to run. I want to keep it to a mellow bicycle speed, max 20-30, with the power band kicking in around the low teens. Chinese reliability is legendary, so I want to avoid them. The original motorcycles were just engines bolted onto existing bicycle frames, and I want to evoke that heritage. There are pics of old motorcycles, that are just single cylinder 2 strokes, bolted on to *Worksman frames*, the photos of the powered Worksmans are unmistakable. This has inspired my concept for how the thing should look, although I am looking for a daily cruiser, not a racer.

Proposed Archetecture:
A Morini Franco Motori, in a new Worksman frame, with a single 44, 52, or 56 tooth sprocket, with shop-fabbed motor mounts.

The Worksman I would order will be loaded, springer front suspension, drum brake, 3 speed coaster rear so I can pedal with the engine, thinking black rims and fenders, factory rack and ding-dong bell, whitewalls, etc.

(P.S. It's my birthday, on the 30th, and I got over a grand to blow... :)

As an alternative, if the motor does not fit with out cutting the frame, I could get a used Shwinn, and just buy a lot of parts to fix it up. I under stand the motor needs to be 20mm offsides to the right to line up with the sprocket anyway.

The engines under consideration are the S6T 5.8, the newer 6.4, and the S6E 3.2. The lower RPMs are considered highly desirable, as I used to own a 250 Ninja, and thou it made best power well over 10k, I liked riding at around 6-8k much better, as it was less buzzy.

Do I need a special sprocket to be able to use the bike when the motor is off? A freewheel?

Proposed Name of Bike: 1910 Flashback!

I got lots more questions, but what do yall think?

Last edited:

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
You will wind up with a chunk of change in this project. I am figuring Nidyanazo or Easy rider would be great people to pm. I would go down in person if I were you and see there creations first hand. Venice Motor Bikes is another great guy you should talk to as well. Get a look at these in person and test ride one. All these folks may be close to you?

Yankee Rider

Aug 23, 2010
San Francisco Bay Area
I am up in Concord ATM, not too far from San Jose, where Dean is, I already spoke to Dean on the phone the other day. Santa Cruz is a place I frequent, I plan to move back there as soon as I can.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
The explosive response of a Morini when riding a bicycle with one will eventually be deemed as legendary here. One of the big issues is newbe's with out experience using one. They are in a league of there own! One that is above a 2 smoke China. More much more attention to detail putting one of these on a bike should be adhered to. With that said there are a whole bunch of newbe'ss that should start with a simple china kit!!!

Dean prolly has the most experience with these. There full sus bike is by far going to be the nicest thing going with a Morini right now! The handling and joy of the road and trails will be superb. If I were you I would be feeling impatient about giving that guy a visit.:)

Stuff rattles loose on any motor kit. Potentially more so with a Morini in my experience. While it is way smoother than any china 2 smoke. 12,000 rpm's will bring on the kind of vibes that test the very existence of your install. This is not to be taken lightly! They can put out enough explosive power to easily test, break and destroy any cheesy approach to mounting them!

Then of coarse there is having good brakes!! The list goes on!

Yankee Rider

Aug 23, 2010
San Francisco Bay Area
I hear you about the chinese kits being more appropriate for most newbie builders, but... as I write this, I am reading up on Chinese trade abuses, facing the loss of US jobs, and out of work myself.. there is just no way I can stand to buy from China if I can help it. So, I buy USA first, WW2 competitors second, and nothing else.

In any case, I am not going to use the S6S motor, too buzzy, I want a cruiser, not a racer, so the S6E model looks more my vibe.. still gotta get mounts fabbed.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
If all this stuff was made here you can bet my money would be best and well spent here. I feel ya sad isn't it.:(

Dude! I am exited for ya give ol Dean a visit aye!?

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
The Morini will not fit in a Worksman INB frame without serious modifications. I am well along in a run of Worksman frames that are stretched and looped specifically for the Morini S6S engines. Engine will be a direct bolt-in to welded in motor mounts and centered in the frame. The rear of the frames are being widened and will have the correct offset hubs and sprockets. Drum brakes front and rear with Worksman rims and 11 gauge spokes. I am working hard on these frame kits which will incorporate all my stainless goodies like the in-frame gas tanks I build. No hype, just the facts. Oh, I live in Gilroy so were in the same neck of the woods.
Pat

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
The Morini will not fit in a Worksman INB frame without serious modifications. I am well along in a run of Worksman frames that are stretched and looped specifically for the Morini S6S engines. Engine will be a direct bolt-in to welded in motor mounts and centered in the frame. The rear of the frames are being widened and will have the correct offset hubs and sprockets. Drum brakes front and rear with Worksman rims and 11 gauge spokes. I am working hard on these frame kits which will incorporate all my stainless goodies like the in-frame gas tanks I build. No hype, just the facts. Oh, I live in Gilroy so were in the same neck of the woods.
Pat

That's awsome! Sportscarpat I forgot you were in that neck of the woods sorry. Your Board Trackers are beautiful bikes indeed!http://i916.photobucket.com/albums/ad6/sportscarpat/SPORTS MODEL/DSC05161.jpg
http://i916.photobucket.com/albums/ad6/sportscarpat/SPORTS MODEL/DSC05159.jpg
http://i916.photobucket.com/albums/ad6/sportscarpat/SPORTS MODEL/DSC05157.jpg

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Thanks Goat herder,
I really have a cool project under wraps for the Morini and am just about at a point where I can post some pictures. I have already produced a beautiful looped Worksman and just pulled the first 4" stretch with loop out of the frame jig last night. It has been a challenging project but it is coming together. Can't wait to fire up that 9.4 hp Morini in a boardie and take it for a ride! Pictures soon. Very soon..............

Yankee Rider

Aug 23, 2010
San Francisco Bay Area
Ya, I may wind up going with a Shwinn rebuild, which will likely cost just as much money by the time all the goodies are added up. Given the work and cost of modifying the frame, it might not be worth it to buy a new bike just to chop up the frame. Sportscarpat, do you have a price on your frames? And, how well would the S6E work?

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
If you gotta bunch of hills it seams the 9.4hp Morini has not been reported to be lacking in power. I run the 5.8 hp with gears out here its good too.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
If you decide to go with an old Schwinn, the Panther frame would be my choice. I know there's room for a four stroke in there, so I would guess there would be enough room for a Morini. The Panther frames come up on Ebay and are the straight bar (same frame as on Motorbikes, Hornets, Autocycles and some of the DX). It is a very classy looking and well made frame. Also Sportscarpat makes stainless steel tanks for them. To go along with the vintage Schwinn frame I'd pick either Worksman or Husky wheels with drum brakes. Front suspension could be a cool modified (beefed up) Monarch type springer sold through Venice Motor Bikes for the vintage look. I have both a Worksman NB project I'm finishing up and am beginning a Panther with a four stroke in a few weeks. My personal pick in frames would be the Panther. If I had the money for a modified Worksman frame from Pat, I'd get worn out arm wrestling myself over the choice.
SB

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Sportscarpat, do you have a price on your frames? And, how well would the S6E work?
The stretch and loop frame I have in the works, called the "Sportsman Flyer Racer Deluxe" model, has taken longer per frame to manufacture than I had hoped so cost will reflect that. I think I will be able to go $350 plus donar frame. Remember these will be a bolt in application for the engine. Frames will be stretched, looped, tig welded motor mounts, 130mm rear triangle width, etc. Beyond that the plan is to offer all my Flyer parts to make complete kits with beefed up Monarks, both tanks, and rear drum brake hubs with both motor and bike side sprockets. True kits with all the goodies to build a boardie or cruiser. Not familiar with the S6E yet. Kits will be for the S6S. I will check into the S6E. Here is a picture of the Standard Flyer Deluxe kit to give an idea of where this is going. This version is the baby loop for the China engine. Racer model has much bigger loop.

Reactions: chainmaker

itchybird

Nov 4, 2009
SF Bay Area.
The Sportsman workshop has been running over time the last few nights and we are just days away from the unveiling... A proper stretched loop frame, with Morini motor in a package that will set the standard on spec built motor bikes.

A full build thread coming soon to motorbike forum near you...

Reactions: chainmaker