First post, tons of questions.

GoldenMotor.com

VonFireball

May 28, 2010
tampa bay
I will cut right to the chase here. I saw the local bike/scooter rental shop selling a small gas powered bicycle. Looked cool. Did a little looking around the web and about went nuts when I saw some of the bikes posted in this section. Unbelievable. I'm totally blown away by this stuff.

Anyways, I want to build a boardtracker now of course. I have built motorcycles before, so I should have a decent enough handle on mechanics and what not to make it happen myself.

Now, my million questions:

1. Should I use a complete bike to start, or just a frame? If a complete, what completes are a good choice? If a frame, which frame do I get? I saw many an old Schwinn frame listed on ebay. Kind of like the Phantoms and Panthers.

2. What parts are necessary if I wanted to use more than one gear i.e use a bike with a gear selector?

3. Can I salvage the gears off say a trek bicycle and use them on a Schwinn frame? Or is that not happening or a poor idea?

4. What kind of rims and tires are guys running?

I'm sure I'll think of a bunch more, but that's all I have for now. I'm basically ready to burn a hole in my pocket and get this started so all your suggestions will be read and appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Here's my best advice... Keep it simple for the first build!
I like the old 50's, 60's & 70's Schwinns, they're plentiful & all the parts are strong.
Gears help sometimes, but there's no real need for them once you have a engine!
I like the 2-stroke kits over the 4's...
The only after market parts that I really recommend are & SBP expansion pipe & a Manic Mechanic 40T rear sprocket & adapter... (both companies are listed on the sides of this page) All the other fancy stuff you can do without! ;)

There's lots of good useful info here if you take the time to look around.
(& post pics of your bike!!!) (^)

Last edited:

VonFireball

May 28, 2010
tampa bay
I like the old 50's, 60's & 70's Schwinns, they're plentiful & all the parts are strong.
How much should I expect to pay for a fifties or sixties Schwinn panther/jaguar/phantom frame?

The only after market parts that I really recommend are & SBP expansion pipe & a Manic Mechanic 40T rear sprocket & adapter... (both companies are listed on the sides of this page) All the other fancy stuff you can do without!
Here's a question: Will the Felt cruiser wheels and thick brick tires fit in the Schwinn cruiser frames without much hassle?

Venice Motor Bikes

Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
How much should I expect to pay for a fifties or sixties Schwinn panther/jaguar/phantom frame?

Here's a question: Will the Felt cruiser wheels and thick brick tires fit in the Schwinn cruiser frames without much hassle?
Frame only??? $30 - $100.
The older they are, the more complete they are & the nicer they are.... the more expensive they are!
You can find a very nice, original & complete 70's Schwinn for $350. A 50's Schwinn... $800 - $1000.

Most felts have 3" wide tires; you will have a problem with the new drive chain touching both the tire & frame!!
Anything can be done if you're good with custom fabrication.

VonFireball

May 28, 2010
tampa bay
Most felts have 3" wide tires; you will have a problem with the new drive chain touching both the tire & frame!!
What's the widest tire I can run in the back without rubbing? I was also considering running a 24" rear rim and a larger front to bring the back end down slightly. That might gain me clearance perhaps?

I'm just not getting the brakes. How can I make sure I'm ordering compatible disc brake parts with my wheels/hub (aside from standard rim brakes)? And can you recommend a good rear wheel that will also allow me to use the recommended Manic Mechanic adapter?

Sorry for the million questions and thanks for your already numerous answers, I just want to have a rolling chassis in the next few weeks.

So far my plans:

Schwinn frame
Springer forks
Board track bars
Disc front brake, which one I have no idea
Rear brake, no idea
26"+ front wheel
24" rear wheel
Fat frank or whatever that other old school tire is called rubber

Last edited:

Venice Motor Bikes

Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
What's the widest tire I can run in the back without rubbing? I was also considering running a 24" rear rim and a larger front to bring the back end down slightly. That might gain me clearance perhaps?

I'm just not getting the brakes. How can I make sure I'm ordering compatible disc brake parts with my wheels/hub (aside from standard rim brakes)? And can you recommend a good rear wheel that will also allow me to use the recommended Manic Mechanic adapter?

Sorry for the million questions and thanks for your already numerous answers, I just want to have a rolling chassis in the next few weeks.

So far my plans:

Schwinn frame
Springer forks
Board track bars
Disc front brake, which one I have no idea
Rear brake, no idea
26"+ front wheel
24" rear wheel
Fat frank or whatever that other old school tire is called rubber
Ok... What I recommend is just finding a clean, stock 70's Schwinn & using that.
It will have all the parts that you need! You should use 26 X 2.125 tires; (this way you won't have any problems.)
As far as the rear hub goes... if it's the stock Schwinn 'Bendix 76' hub, Jim can make a hub adapter for it. (But Jim usually takes a few months to get it to you!) :(
You can use a Shimano CB-110 hub, Buy it from Pirate Cycles!!! If they have it in stock they ship quick!

camlifter

May 4, 2009
acme labs marion ohio
heres what i always recommend for a persons first build. like vince said, keep it simple. go with a 66cc 2 stroke kit, find and old 60's-70's cruiser style bike with 1 inch dia. frame tubes, can probably find one cheap or free that is all rusty and junked up, your just going to use the frame any way. then go to walmart and buy one of there huffy crusiers, will be less than $100, get one that has the big rims and 12 gauge spokes, swap all the parts from the huffy too the old bike, now you have a 1 inch tube bike with all new chrome and wheels, use the rag joint while your waiting on jims adaptor. ez first build, and you'll see how things work and make plans for your next one, theres always a next one, lol.