New issue Unknown any ideas?

GoldenMotor.com

KoolBreeze420

Jan 2, 2014
Midland
Ok I was having "problems". I installed my kit between Dec 23rd 2013 and Jan 1st 2014. I have already had the carburetor replaced spark plug 2 cdi boxes and 2 magnetos. Yesterday went to go for a ride she started ran a few minutes then stalled out figured my magneto waterproofing failed. I was wrong I can't find anything wrong. I just went through the wiring and testing the magneto and all that good stuff all Ohm's reading are within good operating range. So I spun the tire and she immediately started with no hesitation. Which has been the way it's been since waterproofing and everything till yesterday.
What else could cause an issue with starting?
Maybe I need to pull the carburetor and see if any junk got through in any case I was hoping to get some ideas on what else could cause this.
Is it possible to have just flooded it?
If you flood it and your spark plug is wet from gas and oil can it still start or does it need to dry out?

chip71

Apr 3, 2014
Columbia, SC
Are you riding it in the rain? If not, waterproofing and the CDI is not the issue I wouldn't think. Mine seems to be cold natured and having to work the choke a bit till it gets going seems to do the trick. Just keep giving it gas, with half choke and then back off the choke immediately and also keep going down hill, or pedaling should do it. Also, prime it a few times before starting. As soon as she starts to come to life, keep giving it more throttle until she warms up. Don't forget to take the choke off, and turn the gas on.

If it gets flooded, yes, the plug needs to dry out. You can speed up the process by taking it out and putting a flame to it.

skitchfish

Oct 27, 2010
Michigan
Make sure your getting gas through your petcock. Remove air filter and inspect choke handle is not slipping and is actually moving your choke plate, sometimes they get stuck and you do not realize it. Good luck

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
Have you actually verified that your plug is wet? My thought is you may have a crappy plug-wire connection/wire. If you haven't already, try replacing the stock CDI-to-Spark cable with a decent automotive one.

KoolBreeze420

Jan 2, 2014
Midland
Are you riding it in the rain? If not, waterproofing and the CDI is not the issue I wouldn't think. Mine seems to be cold natured and having to work the choke a bit till it gets going seems to do the trick. Just keep giving it gas, with half choke and then back off the choke immediately and also keep going down hill, or pedaling should do it. Also, prime it a few times before starting. As soon as she starts to come to life, keep giving it more throttle until she warms up. Don't forget to take the choke off, and turn the gas on.

If it gets flooded, yes, the plug needs to dry out. You can speed up the process by taking it out and putting a flame to it.
Not the rain to much but it is winter I try to ride when the roads are clear but when I hit a slushy road water tends to get in the magneto .I am going to get fenders in hope to stop this but so far my waterproofing has worked. I got caught in a bad rainstorm the other day and hit a massive puddle and she staid running and ran the next day. I think I have the issue licked. I have 2 spare magnetos and 2 spare spark plugs.

KoolBreeze420

Jan 2, 2014
Midland
Have you actually verified that your plug is wet? My thought is you may have a crappy plug-wire connection/wire. If you haven't already, try replacing the stock CDI-to-Spark cable with a decent automotive one.
Yes the spark plug bottom was wet and black The cdi and spark are brand new I have 3 of the damn things all brand new the bike has maybe 2 hours running the magneto kept getting wet causing it to fail. I think I have the problem licked now it seems to be running pretty good now. After that day I just let it sit then took it to a steep hill and started down and then she was running fine when I got to the bottom.

KoolBreeze420

Jan 2, 2014
Midland
My clutch was slipping so I brought my bike in and took that cover off some water came out I guess this was causing the clutch to slip so I cleaned it all up let it dry but I discovered that the little cog wheel nut was loose it had been wearing on the inside cover much longer and it might have made a hole in the cover any way I tightened the screw and went for a ride I actually have more power and no more hesitation my question is could that screw being loose cause power and hesitation issues as you see in this picture this is not my bike but it shows the part I am talking about I am a computer nerd not a mechanic so I am wondering if my hypothesis is correct. I suspect that becasue that screw was loose it caused that cog to slip and this slip would cause loss of power and hesitation. Can any one confirm this for me or correct me and explain why I have more power and a better sounding bike now.

Last edited:

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
So first you thought the carb, and then the ignition was bad, but now you think it was the clutch slipping? That's about how I trouble shoot too. The process of elimination!

fredric3144

Oct 22, 2012
lufkin tx
in answer to your question if your clutch is slightly to loose then when you are going down hill trying to start the slight friction will heat the clutch causing it to expand a bit the grab and start . If you check out the info on here about the flower nut (which is on the opposite ) adjust it one notch at a time till you have better starting and power . Do not over tighten to where the clutch doesn't release when applied .

KoolBreeze420

Jan 2, 2014
Midland
So first you thought the carb, and then the ignition was bad, but now you think it was the clutch slipping? That's about how I trouble shoot too. The process of elimination!
No the carburetor was bad the float was cracked and filling up so I was sent a new one then the magnetos 2 of them died I am an electrician these were definite issues. Then I was having issues getting the thing to start why unknown which led to this thread then the last post is a result to me trying to go for a ride and it tried to start, but I could pedal even with the clutch in start position which I could never do before so I thought I had already killed the clutch pads, l I corrected that but I had always had issues with power it wasn't as fast as reports say it should be (i wrote off to break-in period) with the nt 2 speed carb. When I removed the cover and discovered the slipping problem, I discovered the issue with that screw in the small cog shown in the picture. I need to know what issues that would cause besides wearing a hole in the cover which would have happened had I not discovered it when I did.

KoolBreeze420

Jan 2, 2014
Midland
in answer to your question if your clutch is slightly to loose then when you are going down hill trying to start the slight friction will heat the clutch causing it to expand a bit the grab and start . If you check out the info on here about the flower nut (which is on the opposite ) adjust it one notch at a time till you have better starting and power . Do not over tighten to where the clutch doesn't release when applied .
The clutch problem is fixed. What would the screw holding the small cog cause you see when I opened the cover that screw fell out and inside the cover you could see where it was wearing on it and much longer there would have been a hole now what issues would removing the screw from the small cog cause?