Cannonballs Threesome--Wheels Of Course!

GoldenMotor.com

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Got the headlight converted to mount on the Tike. This is a large machine and needed a larger light to balance it esthetically. It will mount so its above the bars but I think it nicer in this position. I trial fitted both of the 1890s bike lights I have and they were way too small. Once painted the same color as the trike(bracket will be black) and a few antique touches I think it will work well. Plan to run it on a small internal 7.4v Lipo, but will run the antique cloth wiring to it to make it look like its powered from the main system. Volt meter is next to mount.

Attachments

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
With the original low ratio it was a wheelie machine.
I raised the ratio to a much higher one to eliminate the wheelies. Of course it was then too fast.
Man I hate that 'wheelie feeling' on a trike.
This was my 1st trike, a 7-speed 960W 36V system.

Trial run. It was in 1st gear.
I gave the throttle a twist and it promptly stood straight up on it's back wheels and spun in a circle discarding me to the gravel driveway.

Trike Rule #1
Keep the front wheel on the ground ;-}

Turns out just 3rd and 4th gears were all that were useful.

Lungcookie

Aug 15, 2013
Oregon
Looking good CB2, getting the retro/steam-punk look for sure.
Could even ride rumble seat style on it.
What's that bike in you avatar pic, the blue bike, got a link to that? That's a cool one too.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Was researching tricycle racing to pick up some pointers on hanging it around the neighborhood. My trike will have the potential for nearly 30mph on 54v-Yikes!! Anyway thought this cool. Guys are having fun. Looks like the young guy won:confused:. They always seem to. The newest trikes in the group are 110yrs old I believe(1904) rest are older! https://video.search.yahoo.com/vide...hs-att_001&hspart=att&type=yahoo_pc_mail&tt=b

Lungcookie

Aug 15, 2013
Oregon
Yiks! No clutch, hate to rub a tire passing and lean like a dog relieving itself. Cool to see these old bikes on the road.
30mph on trikes and 60mph on the lifan, Whoa! if it will go, gas it. :)

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Ive gotten a little smarter in the last few years! I just turned up one of the DDB trikes for sale. A 1901 modified and eligible for club racing with a 30mph top end. Have to run it by the wife as its 47,500 euros!!
One of these set a record of 109kh in 1901. That's over 60mph-Yikes!!

Lungcookie

Aug 15, 2013
Oregon
A person just cant help themselves, its like human nature or something, we have to se how fast it will go!

Last night on tv.
Saw this 1950's motorcycle speed record on the salt flats. The guy was in speedos and boat shoes, and a helmet, laying flat like superman flying, feet hanging out the back past the tire...150mph!
Nuts.

If I had one of those trikes it would by in my living room.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
See if you can google the first test of the rocket sled back in the 50s(I think). I saw it on Movie Tone News when I was a kid thats how long ago it was. Dude rides the sled something like 600mph in casual clothes!

Double nuts!

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Guess the trike is finished to the dismantle/paint stage, the part I like the least!
Got most of the small details finished. Made a set of rear hub caps from finish caps off a discarded swing set. They are held to the rear axle by rare earth magnets. Got the ammeter mounted. Added red and green jewels to the head light to vintage it a bit. And made a tail light from a red LED trailer marker assembly and a sediment bowl tinted red.

Attachments

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Tore the trike down for paint. Missed the first low humidity painting weather building this thing.
Wife and I ride the bike trails over on the islands. Problem is she is always lagging back, stopping at yard sales, or getting lost. This should take care of that!
A scrapper in the area knows to bring me older bikes/parts as I will pay more than scrap prices. Showed up with an early 50s Schwinn mens cruiser frame and two mid 70s womens lightweights. This is what became of the lightweights.
Had fun building it and it rides great. Keeping up with the wife is not a problem now!
Down side is now I have two things to paint!

Attachments

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Since thy were both multispeed bikes I used the existing chain rings. I lucked up in that the larger rings were both 52t so I had the required 1:1 transfer. I drilled the rivets in the rear ring and spaced the lower speed ring with a washer/bolt each to gain clearance for the chains as the chains were never designed to be on the rings at the same time. Other than making chains out of pieces that was it for the drive train.