Magic Pie 4 vector review.

GoldenMotor.com

toker_ace

Oct 15, 2008
alabama
Ok let me start by saying this is my first electric bike. I have build probably 20 gas bikes over the years and actually had lost interest in the whole motorbicycling hobby. Then I talked with Paul and he gave me low down on electric bikes and recommended the MP 4 hub set up.
I purchased the MP4 vector and the 48 volt 10AH Lipo 4 battery. I ordered from the Canada site due to the price and the shipping times. While waiting I decided to go and purchase a new "MIDRANGE" mountain bike. Found a Diamondback at Dicks sporting goods that was marker down from $499.00 to $349.00 due to front derailleur wouldn't adjust correctly, so i talked them down to $275.00 out the door. Fixed derailleur in about 10 mins. Also ordered a THUDBUSTER seatpost and some fat frank tires. Got a rear rack at wal mart that actually took longer to get to mount than the whole bike building process. I should have ordered one made for disc brakes.
I was really surprised how heavy the actual hub motor was when it arrived in the mail about a week after I ordered it. I figured the battery would be heavy but man the wheel and hub motor is really heavy. Anyway, got it all mounted up. It took a little while to set up because it was my first time. I could see it being really fast now. Once it was hooked it up I took it for my first spin. I have to say I was blown away by the amount of power!!!
I can't seem to stay off it. It brought back all the love I had for motorized bicycles. It is so smooth and quiet! Again, its heavy but its not really noticeable once your on the bike. I had a few problems that were easily fixed.
First problem was one of the prongs on the throttle plug got bent and it was stuck Wide open. I'm sure it was my fault. Emailed gary at www.goldenbikes.ca and he gladly sent me a new plug.
When I first got the bike my first ride I got 16.8 miles on a charge. Then after a few days I noticed the bike wasn't rolling freely as it was and I only got 13.2 miles on a charge. Come to find out my disk brakes were out of adjustment and both were dragging some. Thanks to a talk with Paul I learned how to adjust them left to right. Now the bad boy is faster than ever! So, all in all I simply love this set up. I probably have somewhere around $1500.00 in the complete setup. But its all new with the bells and whistles. If you like to tinker with everything this set up probably isn't for you. Once its setup and everything is adjusted the only thing left to do is RIDE! Again, these little units are very powerful. I'm about 6'1 220 pounds and it will run me down the road at 25-27 mph. Hills are nothing if i help it a little. I think it would pull me up all the hills but with a little help I can climb about any hill at 18mph.
So, thanks Paul for all your advice and help! I still have my gas burning 3 speed SBP jackshaft bike but I love this "stealth smooth electric" bike way better!
Also I built another level on my rear rack to hold a small cooler for all my stuff. (like Beer) Thanks see pictures below.

Attachments