$200 kit vs. $600 kit - three times better?

GoldenMotor.com

offroad

Dec 31, 2008
Connecticut
So if I buy a less expensive $200 2-stroke, and then need to replace it three times, I end up with the same cost as a $600 4-stroke nice quiet system cost. Less the aggravation of break downs.

Thinking of this a different way. If the bicycle is stolen, or damaged in an accident I am only out the $200 plus the bicycle cost.

Yes I realize the market costs are all relative, and good quality costs cash. But three times as much?

Comments?

mechanickid

Aug 7, 2008
nh
depend on what u get! if your getting a whizzer engine then it worth it, but if it something simple but marked up, i would go with the cheaper one

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
it depends on what you want.

Are you mechanically inclined? Do you like to tinker? Are you ok with mixing 2-stroke oil into your gas before filling up? Do you want a cool mc-looking motor?

If yes to all those, save your money and get a 2-stroke. If no, get a 4-stroke.

Don't be fooled though, the 4-stroke still requires maintenance, just not as much.

If regular maintenance and tuning is done on the 2-strokes, they can last quite some time.

And you can always make the 2 stroke motor quieter. And the 2-stroke will likely have more power.

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
Not much I can add to Jason comments. 2 strokes are way cheaper to build and have way less moving parts. 2 stokes also tend to rev higher and are much louder.
A 4 stroke engine, like a Honda, can outlive you and are much quieter.
There is no reason you should not be able to get two or three years out of the $200 kit so it all depends on what you want.
if I had to to it all over again, I'd get a cheap pocket bike and have more than enough parts to build a nice bike.

TNC Scooters (Scooter Sales and Service)

happyvalley

Jul 24, 2008
upper Pioneer Valley
To each their own. Having had both I'd never go back to unbalanced 2 stroke engines.

The split might actually be more in the 2-1 range anyway, aren't titans, for example, around $400?
You can buy a car for $20K, do you get twice the car for $40K?

While you put an extra 20 grand in play to answer that, the great thing about MBs is we're only
talking a couple hundred one way or another.

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
We are winners no matter what. A person can go out to a bar for one night and blow a hundred bucks on a few beers. Another person puts $100 worth of gas into a cars gas tank. We can take that money and enjoy it for many, many months with a huge smile on our faces!!

old motorbike

Sep 21, 2008
Fl.
I've been bankrupt and broke since last year. Yet I never thought I would be able to take my old bicycle and make it motorized. $125. yes,- $250. out of the question.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I dearly love my 2 strokes, I really do. But the 4 stroke is IMHO, a joy on top of the joy. Less vibration and noise. Just a different world. But ChinaGurls are sexier. Is a personal choice. Have to ride both to form an opinion.

Way I see it.

Weight to bang 2 stroke (but you have an engine)
Cost, 2 stroke cheaper.
Ease of mounting, 2 stroke.
Ascetics, 2 stroke

Noise, 4 stroke hands down.
Vibration, 4 stroke hands down.
Ease of fueling, 4 stroke
Fuel economy, 4 stroke

Enjoying the ride and not making folks mad, priceless. 4banger

Just my thinking and ride both before you decide.

Can DIY for a little more then a 2 stroke with a 4 stroke. All about what you want and makes you happy

Last edited:

turbo/chaos

Jul 22, 2008
college station tx
www.myspace.com
well it varys on who you buy from to tell the truth never buy from ebay and know what you are getting im 100% behind zoom bikes all the way well the kit i am behind is the 48cc kits they are the best get the limited kit will put down 40mph on a stock gear and will last as long as you take care of it they can last up to 2-3yrs

the key to keeping it working in good order is to drive it daily even in the winter time just like a car sitting for 1 month is bad and using the right oil is key

so if you want a good kit ask your self is speed the main thing you want or long lasting
well they do the same thing but the 48cc kit can do the same thing but on a 80cc kit after break in always put a 36t gear on it reason that engine will break from the high rpms it puts down

well also if you want a kit i'll sell you one for 200$ you pick 48-80 and that will be with shipping cost in it

is my spelling correct for once Z?

thatsdax

Feb 22, 2008
www.thatsdax.com
The Titan 4 stroke kit is a million times better than the Good Times 2 Strokes and only cost $375.00. Do not get me wrong... The 2 strokes are a blast and the fact that they are so cheap adds to the fun... But.. If you want across Town or Across country speed, smoothness , quiet, and reliability, then, you want Titan 4 Stroke.. Thanks.. Enjoy the ride...

Jul 22, 2008
Northglenn,Colorado
Not to sound like I'm spamming here but because I have a Titan carrier on two bikes with one engine I have to say the Titan kit is more bang for the buck. My 2 stroke went about 2800 miles give or take before it just quit on me on two bikes I believe the bearing went but I've been lazy haven't checked. I have a replacement parts engine so maybe one good afternoon and I'll be feeling that 2 stroke power once again. Cronus has the new chrome carrier and it's all completely stock with a 48 tooth instead of a 44 to help me along on then hills and I have a wheelman wheel in back I can honestly say with a tire kit and some extra bicycle tools that even with my 4500 mile Titan engine if I had a month to do nothing I can ride Cronus cross country without a hitch.
Then there's the Buggy Bike where I'm experimenting on the possibilities with my OLD Titan carrier. I change my gearing here with a jack-shaft sprocket,I move the carrier to the front,find that any wheel diameter will work,having a chain drive means infinite gearing possibilities and now it shifts with an old school 3 speed hub you can still find around if you look and low and behold besides the cost of the original kit,one sprocket from Grainger and the 3 speed hub laced by me to a 20 inch rim and I have a heavy cargo trike that can pull me up the steepest hills and still get me to 35 if I ever feel suicidal.
So the choices are rather clear. Get a China 2 stroke and Pablo's shift kit for 4 Ben Franklins or get the Titan Kit on your trike up front so you can drive off the right side and adopt a 3 speed wheel and get a large jackshaft sprocket for all the gear heads out there for a little bit more unless these parts are actually just laying around. Or get a CVT if you're really crazy I don't have the funds but believe me when I tell you it's way more possible to do on a rack mount than a frame mount.
This is why I love this whole bike engine thing. It keeps me alive!

motor_head

Dec 18, 2008
iowa
personaly id go with the 4 stroke for one if you forget to fill up at home and don't carry 4 stroke oil your gonna have to peddle, 4 stroke just pull up to the pump and fill her up.
the china 2strokes are cheaply make, they are poorly balanced, overall not very precise (more wear,shorter life)
if you can find a good 2 stroke then they're up there with the 4 strokes

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Toytime, What Would You Build If You Had A Pocket Bike For Parts?? If You Don`t Mind My Asking. I Was Like A Kid In A Candy Store, Can`t Control Myself. I Spent Money That I Surely Shouldn`t Have. The Forum And The Mab`s Are Very Addictive As We All Know!! Getting On Ebay And Bidding On The Pocket Motors AND SUCH Is Also. I Bought A Bunch Of Them, But They Have Raised The Price To High. I Asked A Few Ebay Buy It Now Sellers For A Package Price. I Was Totally Surprised By The Good Deals. Sometimes I Made Offers That Were Low And They Accepted. Sorry For Being So Windy, But I Guess It Was About Cost. RON