My first motorized bike

GoldenMotor.com

Mclaren880

Sep 26, 2013
Denver, CO
Hi everyone,

My office recently moved downtown, and my 6 mile commute is about 80% uphill on the way home - not ideal. More looking to get something that I can still pedal around on Sidewalks when I'm downtown (or at least walk by a sidewalk), as driving a moped in the road downtown seems like asking to get hit eventually. So I have a mountain bike that works well, but I don't love it and will most likely replace sometime anyway in the not too distant future. So, do you guys think I'd be a good candidate for a motorized bike? I won't be riding very hard, but I'd like something that is generally reliable for at least a few years. Assuming I get a good installer, is this realistic to expect? And that leads to my next question... Any tips on figuring out if an installer is legit? I've talked to a couple in my area, they've been helpful but I really don't know what to look for. Thanks in advance!

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
There are a few members in your area, I think. One of them should be able to point you in the right direction, or help and advise you with your build.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
getting uphill depends a lot on how much you weigh

reliability depends more on how well you can keep it adjusted/tightened than the build

Mclaren880

Sep 26, 2013
Denver, CO
Thanks! What do you think about reliability, tho? Is this something that with some maintenance could be expected to last a few years without many issues? I'm certainly not an expert mechanic, but i can do light bike work. I own a couple normal bikes and i'm pretty meticulous about upkeep on them so i know what i';m doing a little... But if something major broke, i'd probably be up a creek... Are they hard on the bike? I've heard of people having issues with the motor eating up hubs and wheels.

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
If you're able to maintain and tune the bike, then it shouldn't be hard for you to do the minor maintenance on a motored bike.

What motor or kit are you looking at getting?

southpier

Sep 14, 2013
northeast coast
something piqued my interest: how prolific is the "professional bike motor" installer? I would think the insurances, given we live in such a litigious society, would almost be prohibitive.

Last edited:

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
All the good ones I know are retired mechanics that don't expect to make a real living on these. A motorcycle will run between $90 & $120 per hour labor, while these are usually $20/hour - barely enough to cover tool wear and solvent/grease/sandpaper/grinding wheels etc.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
One needs to start by making a clear case for cheap chinese stuff breaking once a week or so, no matter what one does with it.

BOYGOFAST

Sep 28, 2013
Citrus Springs Fl.
Your reminding yourself before you request a reply to your question within the same question! why ask ?, the bike kits are less powerful than a well built moped.Unless your unable to understand this much your likely unable to understand what you are told regardless of the answer.No,the final answer the engine kits are less than 5 horsepower out of the box any one you pick ....

Last edited:

Huffydavidson

STREETRACER/MANUFACTURER
Jan 29, 2012
st.louis,mo.
Reallllllyyyyyy, well that's just true not there BGF , please explain to us about Arrow, RCMACHINE, and JAKE'S all of witch crank out a heard of ponies (HP) HHUUMMMM??????
LMAO laff

Mclaren880

Sep 26, 2013
Denver, CO
Since i've only been looking at installers, i haven't really looked at kits, as they have one they already use. One guy uses a Kawasaki, and the other uses a Skyhawk.

Does anyone have any recommendations? What i'm looking for:

I'm about 190 lbs. I could use my current bike, or i'm also debating getting a cruiser off of Craigslist and going with that. I'm not a speed demon. I have no intentions of taking this anywhere near the 40 mph i'm told they can go. Seems unsafe and i'm a total safety nut. I also would like to have it quiet. Whether this means an extended muffler or trying some other techniques people have on here. I know it can't be totally silent (or anything close to it), but i don't want to piss my neighbors off when i take off for work at 7:30 AM. I hate the A-hole who tears around our neighborhood on his excessively loud motorcycle, and i want to be nothing like him. I just want something that's fun to do short errands on. I'm going to put some paniers on the bike so i can make grocery store trips. I really don't need anything crazy.

Any suggestions as to engines/kits that might good for me? Also, under $200 would be nice.