eBay vs magic or smart pie kits

GoldenMotor.com

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
GH,
I could be wrong but I think that's for a front wheel drive system. I plan on having Dean put the brake mounts for me and leave on the old ones...just in case I have to turn it back into a gasser for a race.

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
Well I bought the kit. I decided on this set up.

MagicPie3 Third Generation Rear Driving EBike Hub Motor -Wheel(rim) Size 24" mp3
48V 15Ah Li-Ion Alloy 05-Case EBike Battery Pack - AC Voltage : 90V~132V

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Nice! & here I thought my 39.1mm rims were "fat" heh, those are twice that.

If you're used to the speed, power & noise of a gasbike, an ebike will take a little getting used to. If it's of any reassurance, I really didn't think I'd like an ebike & only built one because I happened to have the components & wanted to test them...

That was about a year & roughly 4500 miles ago, it's about all I ride anymore :p

Neither is "better" really, it's just a completely different experience.

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
I know its time for a change. It's going to be a no brainer for me. The only time I get to ride my gasser was during a SoCal Race. I honestly don't feel comfortable ridng it on the streets because it's a loud and rude bike that turns a lot of heads. My next step after I lace up the new rim and get it running will be to put an awesome set of bright headlights that will probably run off the reserve battery.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
i got my motorized electric bicycle for a few reason. 1st was i now live in a condo on the ocean and to leave a bike outside it would rust away fast and no way my wife was gonna keep a gas bike inside. i read about barely awakes and decided i would give it a try that it would be better then nothing. i really didn't expect much. wow was i surprised. the speed an power were way more then i ever expected. every thing about the bike was 10 times what i expected. no noise, no vibration and lots of power. also there is no maintenance except on bicycle itself which you do with any bicycle. i cannot wait to here about your first ride. make sure you share things you learn. i am still new and when i got the bike last year i didn't anything about electric motors. still don't know a lot but i am learning and love learning more.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Welcome to the club!

Shipping is expensive, but amazingly quick.

That's a nice kit and I am sure you will like it.

You're still gonna get looks, but different ones, more like "what was that" as you wizz by silently - :)

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
Here's a simple question I'm not 100% sure on.
What I the importance of wattage?
Some kits are 500,750 or 1000 is it for speed or torque?

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Watts = power = speed x torque

1 watt = 1 NM @ 1 radian / sec

Or for you english unit folks

1 watt = .73 foot-pounds at .16 revs / sec

Or .73 ft-lbs at 9.6 RPM

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Yes it's both.

Yes, your MP3 will spin at 9600 rpm if you apply 3000 volts to it. But not for long.

Power = Speed x Torque

10 ft-lbs at 100 RPM is the same amount of power as 1 ft-lb at 1000 RPM

kevyleven007

Sep 25, 2008
texas
More watts = more speed and torque. Higher volts= higher speed. Higher amps = more torque. rpm's will depend on how much of a load you put on the motor. More weight and rolling resistance = more load. So, a high rpm motor will still not be that fast if it is low power ( watts). Some motors are wound for more torque and some for higher speed. I would go for 48v 350 w min. (light bike) 600 watt min. (heavy bike).

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
keep in mind just because the battery has more watts dosn't mean the bike will use them. if you want more speed then volts will give you that. i have both a 48v 10ah battery 1,000 watt and also a 48v 15ah 2,000 watt. no difference in the 2 except distance. i have them both programed for the max

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
While driving home, a Rav4 flew by me. As I looked over, I saw a black chopper style bike on the back then I noticed that this bike had a big hub. As I got closer, my intuition was right. It was an electric bike! I took a pic of his bike before he exited.

Attachments

Last edited:

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
sales of electric motorized bicycles is growing fast. the laws are less strict on them and also with their stealth look most people do not realize you have a powered bicycle unless you are flying and not pedaling. many company's like trek, gary fisher, electra and others are adding electric bicycles to their line up. i come up a pretty good size mountain on the way home from work and i was in the bike shop and these 2 young guys were talking about an older gentleman with a beer gut pedaling up the mountain like it was nothing. and the one guy says ya and it was a beach bike with 2 huge tires on it. the owner of the bike shop looked at me and smiled. i have the only electric bike on island

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Yup. E-Bikes Rock!

I don't pedal. The Dawes goes 10 mph with me strokin' as fast as I can. Single speed, freewheel, no derailleur. I hate deraileurs, they look bad.

I however look good smokin' down the bike lane at 30 - :)

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
I'm not sure how to ask this question but here goes...
If I use my current battery 48v 20ah lifepo4 and change my hub to a 5k or 10k watt hub, will it greatly reduce my distance per charge? Also is it a significant performance upgrade from the 1k watt golden motor to a 5k or 10k watt ?

Last edited:

racie35

Nov 17, 2012
usa
I'm not sure how to ask this question but here goes...
If I use my current battery 48v 20ah lifepo4 and change my hub to a 5k or 10k watt hub, will it greatly reduce my distance per charge? Also is it a significant performance upgrade from the 1k watt golden motor to a 5k or 10k watt ?
its a massive upgrade 5-10 times the wattage available...theres no free ride though ...youll hafta supply the fuel(batteries)...im surprised at 1k you want more..isnt that enough for most riding? brushless hub motor?

in the future remember this....watts equal...amps times voltage so if at 1000 watts 48v.....youre pulling around 20.8 amps from the battery
change to 5000w...youre pulling 104amps
change to 10000w youre now at 208amp
other things like motor kv can alter all that but you get the idea.

ps....send me that lifepo4 set before you toast it!!!

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
When you raise the voltage the Amp's go down,, pretty Kewl. This is the part I wanna learn more about my self.... A slightly higher raised volts System :) 10,000w = 72v = around 138.8Amp's