No more Morini's

GoldenMotor.com

leadfarmer

Sep 30, 2011
VA
According to the Morini website, the motors are not being manufactured in America or abroad. Is this new info? Should I be concerned about buying a Morini if they are no longer being made?

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
Morini is an Italian company, I am pretty sure their motors are all made in Italy and imported to the USA, not manufactured in the USA...

cory151

Oct 19, 2010
SoCal
Glad I got mine while the getting was good I guess. Then again guys have been finding pretty killer deals on small dirt bikes and such with these motors. Keep your eyes on Craiglist and Ebay.

Last edited:

robin

Nov 15, 2008
Penticton British Columbia Canada
The main motorcycle company Wiki says has been sold to Eagle Bikes the small engine branch according to Herdan is sold also to who im not sure or cant find any info --still lots of parts tho.

Last edited:

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
There are two bike manufacturers with Morini in the name, There is Motori Franco Morini and Moto Morini. They are not related and it's Moto Morini that's in financial trouble. I think the reason they are hard to get is production just covers the demand for motors for mopeds for all the different companies that buy them for their bikes.

Barnfresh

Sep 5, 2011
Nor-Cal
Are you sure they are not related? I think they were seperate for some time but in the end they were one and the same.
The eagle flies again
Bologna Motor Show, 4 December 2003: At a packed press conference takes place the presentation of Moto Morini SpA, proprietary company of the marque. 50% of the stake is held by the Morini family through the company Franco Morini Motori, and 50% by the Berti family, Bologna industrialists and former proprietors of the Sinudyne trademark (consumer electronic products). The new company establishes its base in Casalecchio di Reno in a building adjacent to the Morini Franco Motori factory. It is the dawn of a new adventure, which will lead to the launch in July 2005 of the Corsaro 1200, the first Moto Morini of the new generation.
Moto Morini is 100% Morini
In March 2007, the Morini family buys out the shares of the Berti brothers and through Morini Franco Motori, gains control of the entire share capital. Concurrently, Morini Franco Motori changes its name into Moto Morini SpA, giving rise to a single industrial enterprise, owner of the brand and factory headquarters, entirely controlled by the Morini family.
From the Moto Morini UK history page at;
Official Moto Morini UK Web site - One of the great names in Italian motorbikes - Latest News and Information

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
The main motorcycle company Wiki says has been sold to Eagle Bikes the small engine branch according to Herdan is sold also to who im not sure or cant find any info --still lots of parts tho.
Yah, I see the Morini news section says,
"Moto Morini has been rescued from bankruptcy, declared on May 18th, 2010, by Sandro Capotosti and Ruggeromassimo Jannuzzelli, two entrepreneurs from Milan, who paid 1,960,000 at an auction called by the bankruptcy court in Bologna. The Moto Morini factory in Bologna will be managed by a new company established specifically called Eagle Bike. More news as we get it...."

So that is in Italy they are talking about, I am not completely sure the "Moto Morini" is the only remain Morini entity, or if there is still a Morini motor factory somewhere that is not part of this deal? Sure seems like they liquidated and the guys from Milan are going to try and pick up the pieces...

Barnfresh

Sep 5, 2011
Nor-Cal
Not only do I think there may be no Morini motor factory somewhere that is not part of this deal, but I'm not even sure any of these Morini engines being sold here for use in MBs were produced after 2007 and that may be pushing it. Certainly not the air-cooled versions, which may have ended production much earlier than that. I think these import engines are NOS "new old stock" that may have been purchased in bulk and then redistributed over a period of time. The last of which may have even came from the Morini factory stock liquidation (fire sale). JMO, so I could way off base here. I guess time will tell.

Last edited:

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
Then I think it would be a case of the one company they bought dragging them under. Bad timing has sunk many this resession, just when you'd think they had a leg-up selling mopeds and pitbikes by the hundreds.

Not much call for high dollar high end motorcycles in a world needing mopeds.

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
Makes me feel a bit sorry for the guys making BoXers. Got a decent product that is in demand and there's almost nothing they can do about it.

It would be nice to get actual word from the corporate owners on what the future plans are. They have sold thousands of the 50 cc motors at what looks to be a pretty good profit and there's still a market for the raw motors to other manufacturers like KTM, Cobra and all the rest.

leadfarmer

Sep 30, 2011
VA
I have been looking around the internet and no one is carrying the aircooled morini's. Does anyone have a source for an S6 aircooled?

leadfarmer

Sep 30, 2011
VA
Rob does not have any,nor does Herdan from another thread. Well, Herdan has the liquid cooled ones, but I am looking for an aircooled Morini for a BTR build.

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
leadfarmer what model are you looking for? i have had luck finding used motors here in so.cal in that almost every other kid rides in the desert. thing is usally you have to buy the whole bike but they come with pipes and accesory's. and does leadfarmer have anything to do with bullet's, batteries or mining?

Last edited:

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Well shoot, that figures, here I have this new high end shifter in mind and a 50cc motor with twice the horsepower of a 66cc China girl would really fit the bill.

One other note is the darn US 2010 EPA rules, even if Morini made new air cooled 50cc motors I imagine they would have a hard expensive time trying to get them into the States.

Last edited:

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
It looks like these guys have some motors
Franco Morini KickButt Engines
At least their site is taking orders for them.

Considering they want for just a motor and carb that most entire completed motorized bikes go for I guess they are doing a LOT of price gouging.

I am now looking on cragislist for used 50cc dirt bikes and quads.
Heck, I am negotiating with a couple of guys that have high performance race bikes and quads with great electrical systems, lights, and way more power than 66cc Chinese motors for $300 or less (one is $150!)
Kick or electric start, kick butt X-chambers and carbs, 3 or 5 gears and small size.

Sure figure another couple of hundred or more to mount and supply the rest of needed parts if you don't have them (I do) but making a $1200+ shifting bike without a Jackshaft cost might just be well worth it!