solid (airless) tire question

GoldenMotor.com

VermontCruizer

Jun 17, 2009
Vermont
After a recent 25 MPH front tire blow-out that resulted in a spectacular crash and some injuries, I am wondering if anyone has any experience using solid rubber (airless) tires instead of the usual air filled tube/tire combination.

Or has anyone ever used one of those solid rubber tubes with the normal tire and what has been your experience with that?

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
This has been discussed, experiences shared, in many posts in the past by various members here. Due to their experiences I will never use anything other than a regular aired tire with a heavy duty, down hill mountain bike innertube and a puncture resistant tire liner.

What I have learned from others here:
The airless innertubes (solid foam rubber inserts) are fine for pedal speeds and slow leisurely cornering. (read- a pedal only bike).

When they are used on motorized bicycles folks have found them too soft/ mushy when encountering pot holes and the like due to the speeds attained. Rim damage is a big concern due to the tire compressing from the hit. Also folks have experienced tire bead to rim failure when cornering. The foam rubber innertube can't hold the tire tight enough to the rim when cornering at motorized bicycle speeds and the tire literally comes off of the rim sending you into the ground.
I recall one person experimenting with solid rubber (not foam core) tires like those found on some wheelchairs. The ride was very harsh. Expect to "feel every pebble" that the tire rolls over. They do not offer the natural pneumatic cushioning that aired tires offer. They are very heavy and add alot of unwanted weight to the bike. Also, they too can come off of the rim when cornering.

Last edited:

VermontCruizer

Jun 17, 2009
Vermont
@GearNut.....the bead seating issue was exactly what I was worried about. I bit the pavement once already and I don't need to have a front tire just peel off the rim going around a corner sometime.

I guess I'll just upgrade to the thickest air filled inner tube I can find. Thank you!!!!

BigBlue

Nov 29, 2011
California
VermontCruizer,

just remember, you only get what you pay for. You buy a cheap tire and more than likely, you're going to get cheap quality - there are exceptions, but you have to shop wisely. I try to buy Schwalbe tires whenever possible. I use them on my touring bike and have ridden over 5K miles and never had a flat or blowout. I also use their tubes that hold air for longer periods than regular tubes.

Good Luck,

Chris
AKA: BigBlue

VermontCruizer

Jun 17, 2009
Vermont
@BigBlue

Believe me......I've learned my lesson about using budget tubes from Walmart! Thanks for the suggestion about Schwalbe tires/tubes; you're the 3rd person to recommend them.