count the spokes dummy

GoldenMotor.com

Don P

Sep 1, 2010
indiana
Hi All
i just pulled a good one. I was redoing a drop center wheel for my new build.
so i unlaced a front mountain bike wheel to use the disc brake hub in a drop center rim. i was useing 11 gage 10 5/8 " spokes on a 4 cross pattern.

i took the hub apart cleaned it soked it in lye water to remove the black aluminum anodizing so i could polish it to match my rear hub.
then i drilled it out for the 11 ga spokes, drilled the rim out to fit the 11 ga nipples and so on ect.

so i got every thing done and start lacing the wheel up and on the first role of spokes i had one spoke missing?

32 spoke hub 36 spoke rim. what a dumb azz i felt like.

i have been lacing wheels sence 1980 when i worked for AMF bicycle factory in olney illinois. that was my first job there wheel lacer. lol
i have laced thousands of wheels. I KNOW BETTER!!!
this was monday april 1. april fools on me.

Don P

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I feel you the funniest stuff happens to even the best of us. lol I was repairing a propane flared fitting one time to get pulled of the job twice only to forget after re flaring the copper tubing to notice I forgot to put the dang nut back on the line twice.

Last edited:

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
it's possible to lace a 32 hub to a 36 wheel.

i did one a long time ago, before the internet could show me how, and before i started putting motors on bikes.

i had a pair of 32 phil woods i got really cheap and wanted to put them on some red anodized arayas i had, so i figured it out.

they just never looked right to me though with the extra holes, and they didn't feel that strong.

i wouldn't recommend it on a front disc brake on a motored bike, though. there's a lot of braking force for a weakened wheel...

and don't feel bad. i had a 20" 1930's kids bike that came with tubeless tires that are obsolete. it had nickel plated new departure hubs, with a rare "C" model coaster brake.

i finally found what i thought were great original paint drop center vintage rims that cost me $100.

they were 30 hole and my hubs were 28.

i still have them laying around somewhere...

Last edited:

Don P

Sep 1, 2010
indiana
hi bairdco yep you can lace 32 hub to 36 rim.

I have a 36 hole hub (i counter this time lol) i just need to get some more lye so i can Strip it of its Gold aluminum anodizing and polish it and drill it. o my gosh i am in a time loop. lol

Don P

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Everyone does things like that. If I had a dollar for every dumb act I've pulled I'd be a rich dude. Starting with marrying my first wife. Now that was a dumb act.

Tom

Don P

Sep 1, 2010
indiana
Hi bairdco did not have any. had lye. put aluminum in lye water = hydrogen fuel. oops let out alternative fuels secret.

2door me too. lol

Last edited:

Don P

Sep 1, 2010
indiana
I feel you the funniest stuff happens to even the best of us. lol I was repairing a propane flared fitting one time to get pulled of the job twice only to forget after re flaring the copper tubing to notice I forgot to put the dang nut back on the line twice.
now that funny.