Trouble with new clutch

GoldenMotor.com

spit_fire

Aug 28, 2009
Brampton
So after my 2 shoe clutch blew up i purchased the morini s6 high performance clutch kit (3 shoe), now this clutch came with a roller bearing (similar to the one used on the wrist pin on the china girls) now the problem is the bearing is actually a little bit wider in length than the basket hole it goes in so when i put the backet on and then the clucth hub i can grab the basket and move it back and forth about 3/64 or so which i dont think is acceptable (correct me if im wrong) if i turn the hub the other way (the hub is steeped up on the one side) the side of the clutch shoes touch the basket which is also incorrect, now i pressed out the brass bushing out of the old basket but its a lose fit in the new basket (the new basket id is a little bigger than the old one to allow the roller bearing to work), has anyone purchased this new clucth kit or can give me any advice as to what to do to get it to fit correctly, i currently just put locktight on the outside of the brass bushing and placed it in the new basket as there is no gap just loose im hoping maybe it will bite down and stay put in which case ill use the brass bushing and check it after the first ride to see if it held up.:-||

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
1: Insert the 0.8mm SPACER RING on
the crankshaft clutch side.

2: Slip the bell on

3: Insert the 2.5 mm SPACER RING

4: The raised part ''offset'' of the clutch hub section. The clutch faces this washer. Its pretty easy to tell if its backwards.

Sorry to hear you are having probs bro.

Can we mebbe get picts of this? Also there are different thickness thrust washers that can be mixed and matched between the bell and the engine block/crank to deal with play. Yet sounds like the bearing is too wide?

I only ordered one clutch from these guy's my self. I ordered the three shoe by it self. Then found out my two shoe bell was a bit narrower than the right ''correct'' bell. Also the correct bell does not have a raised ridge down the center. I never really understood why they ran a ridge like that on the metal shoe contact area of the two shoe bell? So I had finally called them up and ordered a bell too for the three shoe. My bell came with a brass bushing tho.

Mebbe some one with knowledge of this roller bearing bell set up will pipe in?

spit_fire

Aug 28, 2009
Brampton
yah i tried to play with the washers the problem is the washer bottoms out on the bearing therefore the clutch bell can still slide on the bearing back and forth wich is no good, i tried all the combinations possible clutch hug both ways, washer no washer, tried just the .8mm washer between the bell and the hub of the clutch i tried it all, im hoping that the brass bushing will stick to the new bell that way i can just put it back together the way you just posted which is the way i recorded it when i took it all apart, man this is frustrating

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I would call Morini USA and say this is ''not working''. Dunno what to say. At one time I ordered spare brass bell bushings from Herdan Morini and they all were a perfect fit except they were too wide like you are saying. That would be easy for me as all I would have to do is trim them down at the bench grinder a tad to match the girth of my bell. So I tucked them away.

Mebbe dunno? There might be thrust washers that go over the roller cage rather than beside it and then against the crank case? This has Got me thinking?

The more I think about it that bell must be meant for a different model motor? Last why would it be listed on this page for S6 parts? http://www.morinifrancousa.com/s6parts.html
Call those guy's up..sumthen ain't right..

I and others have slapped 3 shoe jobbers into S6T's no problemy. This here abouts is the first I ever heard about a roller bearing. I was hella exited enough to wanna order a spare clutch up to see this one! Now I am kinda bummed to hear it's not matching.

Edit I have the L/C model here I am waiting on my new bike I ordered. I will pull the clutch on it tomorrow and mebbe take a look see. It might be different ? I have not even got a chance to fire up a L/C ''S6C'' yet. I would not think it would be different? As the water pump is driven on this motor from the magneto side and stuffed in where a generator could go. The clutch cover has no bearing on a crank model change that I can think of on the clutch side.

Last edited:

robin

Nov 15, 2008
Penticton British Columbia Canada
The one from Herdan worked perfect didnt need to change the bell either--but hes out of them-- i think the other guys may be using a clutch from somebody other than Morini as eluded to by Herdan as his is more money. i have the 5.8 model

spit_fire

Aug 28, 2009
Brampton
so i took the clutch all apart after about 2 h of ride time, it seems the brass ushing is still nice and stuck inside the bell as it should be, everything seems to be alright its to bad cold weather is apon me as i now cannot enjoy my bike anymore or play around with the clutch or carb, now there is a littlebit of movement from the bell onto the crankshaft (not to much i figure theres gotta be a little bit as it cant be to tight of a fit) but i need to get some more brass bushings to have on hand, does anyone know if a bearing distribuiting place would have them?