New guy

GoldenMotor.com

geohaydook

Oct 13, 2009
New Orleans
I am thinking about building one of these motorized bicycles for commuting (2 miles a day) and light
erands. I see a lot of them in town and they look like a blast. However, before I jump in I do have some questions.
Are these kits really "Bolt on"? What can I really expect?
What is the best kit in therms of quality?
What is the best style frame to use as a base?
Any advice will be greatly appeciated.
BTW I am a former motorcycle mechanic so I know which end of the screwdriver to use.
Thanks again!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Geo,
Welcome to the forum. All of your questions have been asked and answered many times over. Instead of repeating what so many have said before here is a link to a very well written look at what you can expect penned by one of our forum moderators. Spend some time and browse around, look here first > http://motorbicycling.com/f4/kit-best-1764.html then check the thread titles. Your past experience with MCs will be valuable if you decide to build a motorized bicycle. Don't expect neck snapping performance or unlimited endurance from these little engines, especially the in-frame 2 strokers but with some care and proper maintenance they can provide you with many miles of fun. Enjoy and if your browsing doesn't answer your questions or at least steer you in the right direction get back to us. We're all here to help.
Tom

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Hey there, hi there, ho here- Welcome!

Just my opinions after 1 build and one planned- former road cyclist and bike mechanic-

It doesn't sound like you're gonna be a "custom" guy, just the meat'n potatoes kind of transport- cool!

Most people like a 26" cruiser- really can't go wrong for the kind of riding you mentioned-

The newer ones are much lighter than before- both frame and alloy rims. I recommend a smooth tire, and a little more narrow- I put 26 X 1.75 s on mine- and a BIG difference in rolling and ESPECIALLY vibration- 2.25 knobbys are heavy, don't roll, and shake you with a motor. I got some for less than $10 a piece at a local bike shop. I've now even got a 27x 1 1/4 wheel on the front, and added a campy brake to the added suspension fork, and may even go 27 in the rear.

(but I've also got a Schwinn 10 speed in the wings to motor)

the newer cruisers need a bigger clamp for the down tube mount or other modification- I ground the mount down and put foam pipe insulation in- also save vibration! but I think the newer kits mostly have an adapter mount - a nice feature to save effort.

I have the standard 66 cc kit (usually called an 80 cc) and these are the most prolific- I may try a slant head 48cc on the Schwinn- mostly for weight and noise reduction- but for a better cruise I put a 36 tooth sprocket on the micargi cruiser (multi-speed- I like the hand brakes and have a double ever now that works great, and I want to be able to pedal as normally as possible. I don't think the motor kits are thatr different on these two cycles, and the 66 isn't overpowered, and runs best not wide open.

Here's pictures- the cruisers been changed now but I haven'tr built the Schwinn- for that I have a narrow sproket and smaller chain and ultra-light 34 tooth sprocket for the ground down strandard hub- with alloy wheels I'm expecting the finished weight to be not much more than 35 pounds.

Good luck- I think you'll do exceptionally, but this forum is still a great resource.

Last edited:

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
I plan to get some saddlebag baskets for the cruiser to use for just the type of riding you described- but strictly fair weather- hate fenders, except in guitars! New blue 27" tire on the front looks awsome and rolls even better!

I might take the derailleurs off the Schwinn if I build it up, and have a 22 tooth freewheel for the pedal side, to save weight and still give an easy pedal- but no plans to order a kit there yet.

These are loud- I've started extending the pipe with an ordinary aluminum can and hose clamps, with end drilled some- and it makes a difference

I find the BMX bars give a better perpendicular grip, without being as extreme as stingray bars. And they look cool, but be careful of the size!

Attachments

Last edited:

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
And one more thing: if you go with a diamond frame, I think the smaller the better, because a top tube teardrop gas tank is already going to be sitting a bit high up. I raced on a 59cm (23") frame but a 21" would be good too.

bandito

May 22, 2009
colorado
At least this guy Found the forums before he bought his kit......I bought my bike and kit before the forums, story of my life.

fall_down_stand_up

Apr 26, 2009
granbury
At least this guy Found the forums before he bought his kit......I bought my bike and kit before the forums, story of my life.
The story of my life...I didnt start looking for a MB site until I had been riding a couple of years....I didnt think any would be out there....
John-John