Morini, Stretch, Nuvinci 8sp, SBP in progress

GoldenMotor.com

i-paint

May 24, 2008
This is a work in progress. I will post more about it later with more pictures.

07/23/09 The engine is a 49.8CC 3.2HP and it is upgradable to 5.8HP. I only have about 30 miles on it and most of them test runs. It seems as strong or stronger than my HT engine. My speedometer read 42mph when i opened it up recently. This is the same as the HT engine but the Morini isn't broken in yet. The Morini has some vibration at midrange but smooth at high rpm. Some of it may be the clutch and I hope it gets better. It is barely audible when idling compared to the HT. The pipe I have is loud (for me) but I'm working on it. I included a picture of my rear motor mount/jackshaft combination. It also holds the idler for the jackshaft to crank chain.

The rear hub is a Shimano Nexus 8 speed with a roller brake added. It is rated for offroad use and has about 400 motorbike miles on it with no problems. I JUST NOTICED THE NUVINCI IN THE TITLE. MUST HAVE PUT THAT THERE SUBCONSCIOUSLY. IT IS A SHIMANO NEXUS.

Attachments

Last edited:

realdigga

Jul 12, 2009
Australia
this looks like the perfect ride to me!!! can you tell us about the mounts for the motor and shift kit and maybe some close up shots? is this a 50cc morini? and is there a rear brake on the nuvinci hub?

BrettMavriK

Oct 3, 2008
Tampa Bay, FL
WOW, that IS Cool!!!

I'm just gonna have to step up to the plate and get a Morini
fitted to one of my frames. I absolutely love the kickstart.

Man, get a helmet!
With that Morini & Nuvinci you'll be reaching speeds of 55+...!

Good Job!

Last edited:

i-paint

May 24, 2008
the chain set up looks very professional . Could we see more pics of that ? are you running some kind of electric start ?
No electric start. Only the kick start on this engine. Here are more pictures of the mounts.

Attachments

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
How is top speed with the J shaft ? I was going to go with a j shaft set up a 27 tooth and a 12 . just woundering. Nice work? Love that build man really cool!

i-paint

May 24, 2008
How is top speed with the J shaft ? I was going to go with a j shaft set up a 27 tooth and a 12 . just woundering. Nice work? Love that build man really cool!
Thanks, I have only checked it with the bicycle speedometer. It tops out around 42mph.

Emerica

Feb 1, 2008
i hit 55km/h on my 3.2 with a 44tooth on a 26 wheel, level ground.
bike and myself are probably about 200lbs.

i-paint

May 24, 2008
So how is that SHIMANO NEXUS holding up to a Morini?
Up until the front freewheel failed (new heavyduty one) and jerked the chain, it was flawless.
It relocated fourth gear but still operates fine in the rest. I have the stretch frame and Morini retired. I used the wheels and front end on a new bike. I may sell the Morini and frame. It was a fun ride.

jalexl

Oct 29, 2008
Los Angeles
Very nice looking ride. I really didn't understand what you meant about the front free wheel locking up. Can you please explain? Also why have you decided to retire the Morini? I bought the 5.8 and am doing my research for my build. I have thought of using a Aluminum Felt or one of Pypelines Boxer set ups. One problem with the Boxer is that Dean is sooooo darn flacky. Any thoughts, I would greatly appreciate them.