Magneto rewinding

GoldenMotor.com

reg454

Jan 11, 2009
michigan
After I was looking at my magneto and finding out that it is shorted out I am going to rewind it here in a couple days and see if it fixes it. This way I can get rid of the white wire and know what gauge wire is on it, I can get id of the ground that is soldered on the mag itself and put a coat of epoxy thin) on each winding that way I will know for sure that it wont go again. I am going to use a little thicker gauge wire that what is on their now and I will write back to let you know how it goes.

By the way I am going to get 2 new mag's from thatsdax here in a week also a new cdi too. This is just a test to see if manually winding will work.

reg454

Jan 11, 2009
michigan
I just totally ripped apart my magneto and what I found was this the bulk of the thin gauge wire is the blue wire connected to the ground and the white wire. The first part of the windings like 5 layers (a layer of tape separate them) is the white wire a thicker gauge than the blue it is connected to the ground and the blue wire. So both the blue and white have a common ground. The rest of the layers (no separation of the layers) blue is just spun anyway the person who did it felt like.

Pictures below

White wire

You can kind of see where they are all connected in this pic

You can see the separation of the layers of the wire here and the blue windings most of it taking off (note their is a layer of tape between the white and blue layers).

I am going to rewind the coil and separate the grounds between the 2 that way their will be loss of power when I want to hook up light system to it. Their will be just 4 wires coming out of the magneto cover instead of 3. I will also get rid of the ground soldered to the magneto.

Going to radio shack now to pick up some wire.

empty magneto

MelMartinez

Dealer in Mexico
May 24, 2009
Mexico
No wonder my lamp won´t turn on !!! Furthermore, today that I connected the white wire to a 6 volts lamp, the engine won´t start. There was no spark at all.

Can someone tell me where can I get the 6 volts out from the magneto to turn on a lamp?

Thanks.

See You in the Road !!!

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
No wonder my lamp won´t turn on !!! Furthermore, today that I connected the white wire to a 6 volts lamp, the engine won´t start. There was no spark at all.

Can someone tell me where can I get the 6 volts out from the magneto to turn on a lamp?

Thanks.

See You in the Road !!!
Mel...

Wattage is the important factor...Volts are only one part of the equation. Amps X volts = Watts!

If the filament in the lamp you have chosen requires more amperage to light than the magneto puts out...the lamp will not light, and neither will the spark plug.

Jim

MelMartinez

Dealer in Mexico
May 24, 2009
Mexico
Thanks Jim, I´ve figured out: We only have 3 watts from the white wire... and my lamp calls for 50 watts... piece of cake.

I´ll install an AC/DC rectifier and an small battery. I´ll see if I can have some charge out of it... and keep the spark in the plug.

See You in the Road !!!

reg454

Jan 11, 2009
michigan
Mel...

Wattage is the important factor...Volts are only one part of the equation. Amps X volts = Watts!

If the filament in the lamp you have chosen requires more amperage to light than the magneto puts out...the lamp will not light, and neither will the spark plug.

Jim
along of what Manic has siad from what I have noticed from taking apart the magneto if you take too much voltage from the blue wire you will kill the white wire. both the blue wire and the white wire are hooked into the same ground. if you were to hook it uo the other way you would be getting 5x times the voltage/ amperage than you would have. You would be going from a 22 gauge to a 30 gauge wire.

I hooked up my new magneto and I am getting the correct amount of voltage but I noticed my cdi is blown. I noticed back fire the other day, it ran but only untill I let it sit for a couple hours then bang no go.

Norco John

May 26, 2009
Brookston, IN
The white wire is meant to light a headlight and tail lamp from a bicycle generator light set, you know, the kind with the dynamo that has a wheel that rubs on the tyre?
(I know this will probably ignite one of our helmet-style debates, but that's what the manual says)

chrisme

May 30, 2009
Maine
along of what Manic has siad from what I have noticed from taking apart the magneto if you take too much voltage from the blue wire you will kill the white wire. both the blue wire and the white wire are hooked into the same ground. if you were to hook it uo the other way you would be getting 5x times the voltage/ amperage than you would have. You would be going from a 22 gauge to a 30 gauge wire.

I hooked up my new magneto and I am getting the correct amount of voltage but I noticed my cdi is blown. I noticed back fire the other day, it ran but only untill I let it sit for a couple hours then bang no go.
if you have to many wraps in the blue coil it will blow the CDI. Even if you used thicker wire, you will have the same voltage in the blue wire, but more watts, and it will blow the CDI

reg454

Jan 11, 2009
michigan
Did you count the wraps winds very important!
When I was taking the white windings off you couldn't really count because of the way it was wound but I did measure how thick it needs to be and when I rewound it I made sure it was the same thickness. It came to about 200ft of 30 gauge wire I bought a 3 pack of Enamel coated magnet wire (40-ft 22-gauge 75-ft 26-gauge 200-ft 30-gauge) from radio shack and the one spool was enough.

Earthman

Mar 24, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Sorry to hear about your electrical problems.

I have often wondered if it would be worth the effort to rewind a magneto using smaller gauge wire to get about 12v at 1.5 Watts. I expect that the gauge of the wire would have to be such that it would have 1/2 the area of the existing wire, and you would have to double the windings, or more. I haven't had time to look into it, but It could probably be done. The benefit would be you could have a 12v electrical system. The power from the magneto probably wouldn't keep up with the load, but you could use all, or mostly all LEDs to minimize the load. In any case the magneto might be able to extend the life of the battery in the system. The only reason to consider this is 12v components are easier to come by than 6v components. I've installed a 12v system on my MB and was planning to tinker with a charging system for the 12v battery. Since I don't have to rework my magneto, I was thinking of winding or buying a small stepup transformer that would get me 12v at 1.5Watts from the available 6v at 3Watts.

Anyone else thinking along these lines?

Last edited:

reg454

Jan 11, 2009
michigan
I had an idea get you this is a picture I made with paint.net but it's a concept. If you were to make a new magneto metal portion that kind of looks like this (and their was enough room in the case) then you can separately place the blue and white wires plus you can get more voltage off of the white wire because you would be able to wind it more.

after really looking at the MAG housing their wound not be ehough room so I will modify the design.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

reg454

Jan 11, 2009
michigan
UPDATE - I will be getting my new CDI in the mail anyday now I emailed Duane from thatsdax just to get an update and they said they shipped it so all is well. I also want to say that I have ordered a few things from their before and the service is awesome.

Below Pic of rewound MAG installed, I retapped the mounting hole for the MAG a little bigger and I still have to trim the bolts like an 1/8" so that they fit correctly so don't worry the big washer are going here once my new CDI comes in. If you notice the ground to the block is not connected to to the ground wire from the MAG it is separate. That wire you see is just wrapped around so when I take the MAG off I do not dislodge the soldered wires.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

reg454

Jan 11, 2009
michigan
Well i got my CDI in today hooked it up and stll no spark looks like the rewinding did not work. I will have to order a new MAG this friday when I get paid.