battery issues

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I think that the red light or amber in my case kicks in when the drain is high as much as when the batteries are low. However it does kick in more often when they start down. I would say as long as you charge them at 12volts or more they are not damaged by the amount of discharge. That's just an opinion.

If you run them down to 11.5 where they are really drained then you probably will lower the life on them. If you leave them over the winter uncharged or even store them a few days without charging after a ride, I think they will be damaged.

Again just an opinion based on what I have read.

My batteries will start out about 26.5 now. I bought a second battery maintainer from wallymart. I can charge the pack at one time by putting one on each battery. They are more hardy than the ones with scooters. I found that out the hard way.

I think the first couple of volts from the scooter type chargers drain off quickly though I can;t be sure. After you take them off the charger wait an hour then read them for a true charge strength. It should read about 26 to 27 volts.

grouchyolfart

May 31, 2008
Wahiawa, Hawai'i
Ah, okay. The pack that read 28 was fresh off the charger. The other packs were actually off the charger for over 12 hours and still read over 26. Sounds like my packs are healthy. :)

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I would say so. Mine are pretty new and read about 26.7 after a rest. I would say yours are fine. The pack I had from my grand daughters scooter which was bad read 12.87 after a short rest. It should have read 13.25 so it was starting at about half charge.

rearengine

Feb 22, 2009
Wi USA
I don't know if this info will be worth while to you guys.. I just rode 9.2 miles.. Up four hills,and down one of them. I'm told they are 5 to 8 degree grades. I know I never have been able to pedel up the steepist one, It's about .04 miles long.. I held my speed to 13 to 15 most of the time.. I used motor asist to keep my speed in that range, no hard mashing on the pedels, but I got a good work out.. The one hill I rode back down is the steepest & longest, 30 mph coming down . Any way the reason for my post, I checked my three batterys when I got back 12.18, 12.23, 12.21... Starting out they were 13.15 to 13.18 .. 36v, 50amp controller, 600w motor, 20" wheels...usflg Bill

Attachments

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
bill I would say you are pretty much at the limit of the battery but not dangerously low. I'm told anything in the 12 range is an acceptable drain. Below 12 you can do some damage to the battery's life. I have no way to know how true that is though. At 11.75 to 11.5 you are pretty much flat. They say to try to avoid that.

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
Hello all,
I have only been using my lawn mower battries on my bikes for two seasons but they still seem to be doing the job. I only use the bikes for trips to the store and cruising the hood. My longest trip would be about 8mi each way. The power to coast ratio is about 4:1
I run the drive thru my original multi speed drive. I take most hills without peddling. . I remember when I came up behind two teenagers on bmx's and they went as fast as they could and I heard one of them say what the he!! as I blew by them. I do not use a speed control just 1/0. I do believe using gears help conserve the battries. Please see my introduction.
The wheels keep on turning.

PS: I built a freewheel into my crank

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
1. Do you have any idea what the amp hour is of your lawn mower batteries. Any of the ratings would be good to know.

2 Have you ever run them down and if so how far did you go before it happened.

3. Are they sla or flooded cell. most of us have wondered about those flooded cells batteries.

by the way welcome to the forum...

grouchyolfart

May 31, 2008
Wahiawa, Hawai'i
Well, we may have to start another thread on electric mowers? I just came across an electric mower on CL for $20. No charger. No big deal. I'm just trying to get more info on that motor. Seller didn't list a brand or model no., so no way to check. Hope she gets back soon. $20 for a good size working electric motor and batteries.........darned good deal. dance1

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I would guess that it is a pretty heavy duty motor. I think they can wind those things for different rpms from the same voltage. So it would hard to tell without the specs.