Has anyone ridden coast to coast?

GoldenMotor.com

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
you could maybe do it! it would be a long trip! I would take along a trailer hooked up to the bike to haul tools and supplies, food, camping gear, tho it would be rough!
A trailer would be a definite must since you'd probably need a couple of hundred pounds worth of gear, clothes, spare parts, water, etc. Depending on your route you may need to carry several gallons of drinking water at a time. Wouldn't be a bad idea to take along an entire replacement engine kit and don't forget the solar panel on top of the trailer to recharge the laptop, cell phone and GPS. It'd be a real good idea to get one of those GPS sending units too so folks could keep track of your progress and if you get into real trouble it'll send out a distress call at the push of a button.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Exactly lol

I would like to mention however that while taking spare parts is a fine idea, in regards to previous posts and some of the concern I've noticed, I just wanted to remind people that while the vast majority of this country may or may not be considered "civilized" - it is at least populated lol

There is a middle ground between my rather extreme post and lennyharp's. I don't necessarily recommend running naked into the wild as may have been inferred, but on the other hand you may run the risk of overkill in what you're tempted to bring. There's a saying amongst ultralight pilots that's just as applicable to our bikes, particularly given the rather extreme terrain the west is known for...

"Every ounce counts"

Food, water & fuel are the killers here. Heavy, bulky, cumbersome - and indispensable. Unlike many of my previous adventures, fuel is less of a consideration yet still needful. At 6 pounds per gallon of gas it adds up quick. Water alone weighs in at a surprising 8+ pounds per gallon and unless yer into "astronaut food" your rations themselves are mostly comprised of water - so you see where I'm going with this.

Taking along a spare motor seems like a fine idea, in fact it may even be warranted... yet one of the charms about these MBs that's making it so tempting for me is just how well suited they are for my style of wandering. One of their many advantages is their ease of repair and inexpensive, readily available parts. Even should you actually need replace the entire motor - it's but a phone call, a hundred bucks or so, and a week spent chillin at your campsite. Their very nature includes a built in redundancy - you can actually just pedal for a while should the motor fail or you run out of fuel - but this is of course another reason to keep it as light as possible. I think a top end kit, clutch, carb, filter, fuel line, plugs, gasket material, and chain outa do ya fine for spares.

One of the things many of you can do that hasn't been an option for me is leaving spare bits with family and/or friends. If you do have a spare motor for example - leave it behind, I'm sure they wont mind shipping it to you if necessary and setting up a postal drop is a piece of cake. That 25+ pounds is a serious amount to your bike, not so serious for UPS.

Even the bike itself is ideal for this. While not something most would want to contemplate, should you experience a terminal failure of the frame - it's not the end of the world, bikes are common wherever you go. You could actually swap out all your parts to some beater huffy cruiser if worst came to worst.

I suspect just taking some wheel bearings, cables, brakepads, chain, tubes & tires would suffice. Maybe a spare rim, just the rim actually as that way you can spoke it for front or rear as needed. Although bulky as all getout - I'm thinkin a rim spare isn't such a bad idea as it may seem, it IS one of those items that can be silly expensive to replace and is prone to damage. At least they're light... well, most of them heh

I'll freely admit there's a delicate balance between too much and not enough. The Murphy Variable guarantees that whatever small item you didn't think needful will be exactly what breaks AND be impossible to find, there will be a sudden, inexplicable drought and the demand for Schwinn parts will be causing conflicts in third world countries... Yet there's only so much you can compensate for that.

Rest assured, for good or ill - Walmart has taken over the universe. No matter where you go, you'll be able to get bits for your bike.

One of the things you can't count on, but it's a fact regardless is how you'll be received. People romanticize the **** out of travelers. Your "support vehicle" will be just about any bikeshop in any town, I'll betcha a dollar they'll fall all over themselves trying to help you MacGyver your ride back together when they find out what you're up to. The one way to guarantee getting a ride to town is to carry a gas can for example (or a cute blond, if you have one handy).

Now, I am fully aware counting on the kindness of strangers is a sketchy concept. I don't mean to say it's something to be depended on, but honestly - you're not heading into the wilds here. It may be "The Great Unknown" to you, but in fact barring just a few places - you find it's just not that much different than your own neighborhood.

Without a doubt the most demanding thing insofar as cargo space and weight considerations is perpetuating you. Camping gear, cooking supplies, foods, entertainment - these are the things that will FILL that trailer in a hurry. Food itself is by far the biggest problem, should budget be a consideration - it's best to stockpile as much as possible. While it's true that there's grocery stores everywhere as well, the prices vary wildly. When I'm a'wandering I prefer to do my shopping at "discount" stores, those "dented can" places we're all familiar with. The savings are astronomical, it really can be the difference between a week's worth of rations and a month's - for the same money. They can be hard to find though.

The thing about your food supply is it in itself is the last line of defense. Despite any and all hardships, nothing is really much of an emergency should you simply have shelter and food. It isn't until you run out of this essential commodity that you'll need hit that panic button.

The rest is just hose clamps and duct tape :D

Disclaimer: the lists of spare bits in this post is by NO means comprehensive, I just typed w/e came to mind willy-nilly - should you think of something essential yet overlooked, please feel free to mention it ;)

Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I just typed w/e came to mind willy-nilly - should you think of something essential yet overlooked, please feel free to mention it ;)

Yes, there is one thing I will add, don't stop in Gary Indiana, or several other "rough areas".

While the trip would be do-able and fun, challenging, ect, you have to keep in mind that there are people out there who will kill you and steal your stuff just to see what they can get. Always be aware of your surroundings.

Also, be prepared to be "hassled" by "the man" on very frequent occasions.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Yes, there is one thing I will add, don't stop in Gary Indiana, or several other "rough areas".

While the trip would be do-able and fun, challenging, ect, you have to keep in mind that there are people out there who will kill you and steal your stuff just to see what they can get. Always be aware of your surroundings.

Also, be prepared to be "hassled" by "the man" on very frequent occasions.
Actually yeah, with THAT in mind, as unfortunate as it may be, you may wish to actually register yer MB as a moped - despite any laws that state it's unnecessary... This minor detail could prevent a LOT of hassle.

Tho I'd like to say in the interest of balance, in all my travels I've only ever come close to one seriously bad incident* - and I escaped lol But it does depend heavily on your common sense in avoiding trouble prone regions - like any and all cities. While there's fun and culture to be had, ya gotta weigh in your potential nativity in regards to that specific city and your probable inability to secure your bike and belongings.

*This wasn't a reference to The Man, they continue to plague me wherever I go o_O As I'm jus some creepy lookin bearded freak - I assume this has much to do with being both suspect in the eyes of the law and generally being avoided by those unsavory types seeking victims. :D

Last edited:

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Actually what I was thinking in taking along an entire engine kit is that no matter what goes wrong you have it on hand not so much as to swap out the engine but to cannibalize it as you need parts. As you go along the kit is bound to get lighter. lol

butchatron

Jul 22, 2009
kentucky
You know, I dont think it would be nessessary to overload yourself with food, water and fuel. If you plan your trip carefuly, follow the path of civilization, I think a water bottle and a few powerbars would sufice between towns. I myself plan to upgrade to a 1 gallon tank to maximize those 150mpg's, so unless you're planning to travle across a desert, extra fuel shouldn't be a concern. I really think it depends on the kind of trip you want to take: if you plan to travel the great northwest, then of course food and fuel will be a concern. But as for me, I plan to stay as close to civilization as possible, so I think all I would need is basic tools, a few essential parts, clothes, a tent and sleeping bag, wich should easily strap to my rear rack and saddle bags.

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
You should always carry at least a gallon of water (more in some areas) because you never know, you may end up walking for 30 or 40 miles in the heat of the day. No matter how carefully you plan your route there's still a lot of areas in this country of ours that you can go for hours and never see another living soul. Remember, you're talking secondary roads here and in quite a few areas along the Midwest the little towns you may be counting on have just dried up and blown away because of highways bypassing them.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
butchatron there's no prob at all with what you propose, other than what you've stated about routes and the small factor of budget. IF money is of no concern, then pay no heed to me ;) yet if it is - be warned such reliance on whatever stores you happen on could potentially triple your expenses at a minimum, in fact it could be far far more.

After a hard day of logging X number of miles, it's highly unlikely you'll want to deal with grocery shopping in addition to setting up camp, let alone the time it takes to find both the store and the spot you'll be resting for the night. This leads to the likelihood of a heavy reliance on fast food and/or other restaurants.

This can mean the difference between thirty dollars a week for food and thirty dollars a day just for munchies.

Given that we're talking about a roughly three thousand mile trip, one that would most likely take about a month* (unless your an absolute fanatic, one way or the other), that's a significant difference in expenditure to say the least. As Kevlarr mentioned, the majority of the countryside you'll be traveling through simply wont have much to offer other than a gas station convenience store, and that's if you're lucky.

Living off of those is a fate worse than death :p

When I go a'wanderin' I certainly don't wish to subsist on Ramen noodles and water alone, yet I do choose to rely on a fairly basic diet. Simply, easy to prepare foods, ones that don't require a lot of prep or cooking, and that are easy on the belly as well as the wallet (bathrooms are... scarce). Having such rations with me ensures I need not go hungry despite the circumstances, but I also set aside a few bucks specifically for when I wish a treat.

I'm addicted to coffee houses for one thing and I can warrant the added expense of a good cup o'joe with the pleasant conversations to be had in such a place. If it's been a particularly difficult day, rainy and cold, I just might be tempted to dip into the fund for just a night in a motel. A hot shower and a soft bed every once in a while is an irresistible lure. Even getting a delectable T-bone steak to grill up one night, sitting next to the fire with a six pack of a frosty dark brew...

The more you rely on living store to store - the less you can treat yourself to these "special" occasions.

Yet, if your considering the "posh" route - staying in motels and eating in restaurants, then the above is moot. That's simply a different style of travel than I prefer. As my budget is somewhat limited - I prefer to conserve where I can simply to extend my ability to travel, or stay for a while due to emergency - or just because its a beautiful place. I also prefer camping and cookouts over hotels and restaurants anyway, as I also prefer the path less traveled. It's all preference balanced with budget.

I will say that no matter your finance - yer gonna start to hate those powerbars after the first few hundred miles or so lol

*To be honest - there's no real way beyond a guesstimate to determine how long such an adventure may take, there's simply too many unknown variables. Google Maps claims this can be done in a car in about two days (nonstop) whereas if you're walking it'd take a month and a half (again nonstop). Given my experience - I believe neither :D

I'd recommend planning for an entire summer of fun and seeing what happens.

Last edited:

denbecr

Oct 21, 2008
Illinois
Great thread BruceMG51 ! Kudos to those who responded optimistically and helpfully...butchatron, stv1jzgte, lennyharp, brucemg51, Hill of Beans and especially BarelyAWake.

I'm 60 and have 'coast-to-coasted' in a car and on a motorcycle. I've been considering a coast-to-coast with a pusher trailer that has a large cargo capacity. I'd prefer one of the 4 stroke Honda or Robin Subaru engines, say 2.5 to 4 hp, single wheel with a beefy u-joint type hitch and a 5 to 7 speed derailleur or a NuVinci middrive to a 16" bike wheel. Small wheels are very strong and exchange RPM for torque when powered, so they get longer service from bike chain & sprockets. The freewheeling feature of the bike wheel adds to fuel economy by allowing coasting whenever possible. Freewheeling also allows easy pedaling when the engine is not running (stealth mode in town). You wouldn't need to carry much more than does a typical touring bicyclist (60 lbs. or so) just a few more tools & spares. I'd trust a relatively new Japanese utility engine to easily last 2300 mi. (the shortest C. to C. route) without incident. Even at only 100 MPG you would spend 23 gallons X $2.70 = $62.10. $62.10/2300 mi. = less than 1/3 cent per mile.

The trailer, if properly built and packed would be indistinguishable from an unpowered trailer. It would have the engine in a tunnel through the long axis, open enough for flow through ventilation. The cargo space could be somewhat like a set of monstrous panniers; one deep, long bag on each side and a smaller one on top of the tunnel. They could hang from a frame that hinges up to expose the engine for fueling & maintenance. It wouldn't take much to fab a large volume, very quiet muffler from an old fire extinguisher canister or propane bottle.

The bike itself would have to be a recumbent for seat and back comfort. One with tall gears would allow for hybrid pedal/engine power at all but full speed. An extra benefit is the lower wind resistance of the stretched out, laid back position. I prefer a long wheel base recumbent for high speed handling; not as twitchy and more comfortable on bumps. I've gone on long bicycle trips and 100 mi. per day isn't that demanding on a comfy bike, so a motorized bike could easily double that. In June you have 15 hrs. of daylight. 20 MPH for 10 of those hours would be 200 mi. You could do it at a leisurely pace in 3 weeks with time out for exploration, poor weather days etc. I'm retired, so I'd probably take much longer than that to meet people and explore the regions I'm traversing. That is if I was traveling alone or with like-minded companions.

I would bring the sail I made (that works much better than I expected on my recumbent) and a couple of my large kites (36 & 81 sq.ft. parasleds) that work great out in the long, open, treeless Southwest into Texas. The kites are good on the flats and great when climbing. The sail works best with crosswinds on flats and downhills. A wheeled sail powered vehicle in a crosswind (broadside and a little from behind) can exceed the speed of the wind by several times. Read about landsailers to learn how that works if you're not a sailor.

I've got (in my head) a line winder that retrieves the kite by engaging a rubber friction wheel against the front tire of the bike, winding the line in at a slower rate than I'm traveling to indirectly use the kite's power to reel itself in. The big kites pull so hard when you're stopped that winding them down is a very tiring struggle. Winding the kite down when traveling downwind is much easier, but nearly impossible when steering a bike, so the rubber wheel spool on the front wheel would be the ideal device for accomplishing that feat.

The sail & kites are lightweight, easy to stow & quick to employ when conditions are conducive. I've witnessed many days out West when I could have used wind power all day long with no need to pedal at all to go 15mph or faster. I've used the sail to go up and down the coast for hours along the strand near San Diego using the off-ocean breeze.

Amazingly I often go fast enough with kite power downwind to feel wind in my face ! This is because the windspeeds are so much faster 200 feet up that you can overtake the slower airspeed at ground level ! On very flat ground with a stiff breeze, my 24 sq. ft. kite works as well as the 81 but the 81 does far better when encountering hills, especially those long, grueling, steady, multi-mile uphills.
Remember, going west to east takes advantage of prevailing winds (especially in the Spring).
It's a thrill to travel all day ABSOLUTELY free.
And there is nothing like having 3 or 4 modes of propulsion.

I've spent many wistful hours on my computer reading journals by bikies who did coast to coast rides. The latest was by a very fit looking 50 something grandmother who did it on a tadpole recumbent. You'd be surprised that in just about any bike club you will have several members who have pedaled coast to coast (occasionally in installments).

Let's promote the idea at every opportunity on this forum.

Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Tho I'd like to say in the interest of balance, in all my travels I've only ever come close to one seriously bad incident* - and I escaped lol But it does depend heavily on your common sense in avoiding trouble prone regions - like any and all cities. While there's fun and culture to be had, ya gotta weigh in your potential nativity in regards to that specific city and your probable inability to secure your bike and belongings.
:D

Yeah, but who knew riding into Gary would be like riding into Dante's Inferno?

Anyhow, having had more than a few long road trips including a couple thousand mile hitchhike, I will say this: Plan for the unplanned, don't set a time schedual, and have a "Plan B" for everything.
Have fun, be safe, pay attention and take A LOT of pictures.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Yeah, but who knew riding into Gary would be like riding into Dante's Inferno?

Anyhow, having had more than a few long road trips including a couple thousand mile hitchhike, I will say this: Plan for the unplanned, don't set a time schedual, and have a "Plan B" for everything.
Have fun, be safe, pay attention and take A LOT of pictures.

o_O

Dante's Inferno is in New Jersey... obviously. :D

denbecr,
Do you have any pictures of your kite and/or sail rig? You've piqued my curiosity to say the least ;)

denbecr

Oct 21, 2008
Illinois
Here you go, Bare. I'm happy when I'm piquing curiosities.

YouTube - recumbent sailbike I replaced this sail with one that has a conduit mast, fiberglass boom and Tyvek sail. Eventually I'll get around to making a wingsail which is over twice as efficient for its size. here's the fastest wingsail; YouTube - Ecotricity Greenbird smashes the world record

My son took this shaky video, had it soundtracked, titled and on Google videos by the time I packed the kite & flag away.
kite as flag lifter
This is the style of kite I use to tow bikes & boats and this particular kite is used on light wind days or when I need hill climbing power. I told my son a couple of times that I'd like him to make a vid of the kitebike. Both extremely busy lately.

YouTube - Windmill catamaran model If you like the sail & kite, check this out ! Of course wheeled vehicles have far less drag than boats, so there's lots of potential here. I think a small manageable size mill could at least reduce the effort it takes to pedal into a headwind. Several thin blades with small angle of attack works best.

If you want a real intellectual challenge, investigate 'down wind faster than the wind', often abbreviated as DWFTTW. Here's a good start; YouTube - DDFTTW and another; YouTube - Direct Downwind Faster Than The Wind #3 (DDWFTTW) more;YouTube - Aeolus Wind Race looky here, too ; YouTube - DDWFTTW - Turntable at slow speed
AND ;YouTube - Under the ruler faster than the ruler

Last edited:

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
o_O

gdangit... This is all waaaay too interesting. I'm actually a sailor, a liveaboard (until recently anyway) so the charms of wind power are no mystery. Yet it's true I had given no thought to wind powered land vehicles.

Unfortunately, the roads and terrain up here are simply too forbidding for such a thing. With extremely twisty and rough streets, no shoulders to speak of, and lots of overhanging foliage - it's all I can do to ride the setup I've got, there's a reason I went with a mountain bike heh

Yet due to this insidious thread I've been giving more and more thought to a cross country trip. Perhaps not so much a 3000mi coast to coast as this has been focused on, but more a 1700mi jaunt down the east coast to warmer climes, in my continuing search for another sloop. I'm in the midst of compiling a parts list for bike build beta, my winter project, and I've considered a recumbent as they do have serious comfort and efficiency advantages.

Yet they seem to have some disadvantages as well. Cost prohibitive to say the least, I've not found one even remotely affordable - even used. Never having ridden one, I have some concerns about their handling in close quarters with other traffic and of course on the rough terrain of a torn up (or missing altogether) shoulder. I suspect that may be why they're so rare up here in the frozen northlands.

However were I headed west, I would continue my quest for a recumbent as I can think of no bike better suited for the expanses of our vast country. Crossing the midwest in particular your sail rig would be so advantageous as to almost be mandated. The first clip shows how simple it could be and unlike the more efficient wingsail, easy stowage is a definite plus. I wonder, as it resembles a mainsail complete with boom - could it be rigged with a jib & sheets for running wing-in-wing downwind? I suspect a lateen rig, very similar to yours would be the simplest method though.

I must say you've got something there man! A recumbent MB with a sail would be without a doubt one of the best suited designs for extended crosscountry trips. With triple redundancy in propulsion, extensive cargo options, and the utmost in comfort I can't think of any better.

I will resist your attempts at temptation! o.o

Last edited:

denbecr

Oct 21, 2008
Illinois
Hey Barely AWake,

I like your enthusuasm and imagination.

Too bad you are not in bike sailing territory, but I really envy your live aboard experiences as a sailor. I want to get on the water more. I have a windsurfer and a Force 5 sailboat I haven't used yet. Both were garage sale or classified ad bargains. $80, $250.

If you are really searching you can find a reasonaby priced recumbent. I got the Infinity recumbent in the video for $125 by spreading the word that I was looking.
I recently u-turned on my Infinity to catch a guy on a Catrike (tadpole style trike). We talked bikes & I found out he was willing to sell his Lightning Phantom (short wheel base recumbent). It looked and rode like new. He gave me the $1400 original sales receipt with the owner's manual and the bike, all for only $250 !
Shortly thereafter I found a Sun EZ3 AL on Craigslist for $200 ! It's a 27 speed aluminum recumbent delta trike with disk brakes on all 3. Never expected to love a bike so much. I'm almost finished making an RS EOH35 freewheeling pusher trailer for it.
Another recent fantastic bargain is a like new (except for a small dimple-ding in the rear fender) '90s repro of a '50s springer, tank, rack, balloon tire Schwinn Deluxe. They still go for around $500 on eBay which is what they cost new. I saw it on Craigslist for $80 & emailed immediately. By the time I got there the seller said, "My email is full. I can't believe how many people wanted that bike." It will be a good candidate for motorizing.
My other best bargain is a red Trek road bike, like new but for one small scratch on the frame. It was perfectly tuned, even with good tire pressure. Alloy everything. It was the only bike in a Goodwill in the middle of the winter so they priced it for less than the usual $15 for Huffys, Free Spirits & Mongeese. $10 ! I never got my wallet out faster.

I collected over a dozen bikes during the last 20 years and spent what I would have spent on the Phantom if I'd gotten it from a bike shop. The only type of bike I would still like to buy is a tadpole trike.

I haven't sailed anything with a jib yet.

Here is a link to a stowable wingsail that could be made more compact if desired; PDRacer Sailboat - Articles.
My biggest kite is rather bulky but at 7.5 ft. X 11 ft. it also serves as a spinnaker and a tent.

Here is a website with lots of wonderful bike builds A site dedicated to Tom Traylor's unusual hobbies but first click on his 'combining landsailing & bikes'.

Last edited:

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Thinkin' on it - I bet a jib is outta the question as you've got your hands full with just the bike and the one sail lol

However - I will keep an eye out for an affordable recumbent, matter of fact - the next time I go to the bike shop I'll ask to demo one of the ones there as I still have never ridden one ;)

Get those boats wet man! :D

denbecr

Oct 21, 2008
Illinois
I notice that often people don't really get the full beneficial experience of a recumbent with a short test ride. It takes a few times around the block to relax and enjoy. It's instructive to ride with a group you're familiar with to see how much faster you go than usual and how much faster you can coast downhill. Of course the best test is a long ride that usually hurts your sit bones, neck, wrists, palms etc. You'll avoid all that on a recumbent.
You can't see behind you as well, you can't stand to use your legs as shocks and you can't easily hop curbs, but the benefits far outweigh these inconveniences.
I hope you find a good deal.

pnz

Aug 19, 2009
Rosedale, Ca.
Where do you want to start. All we need is a 2 gallon can of 2 stroke motor fuel and some extra mix and off we go. You want to touch our toes in the Pacific and split.

markeatmark

Jun 17, 2009
jacksonville NC
Self contained bike trip across America. Motor bike packing. I'm down. Who is going to set this thing up? Is it going to be from East to West/ West to East? Or leave from both coast at the same time. And meet in the middle?