possible event idea

GoldenMotor.com

leo

Jul 20, 2015
southern wv
i have been kicking around the idea of going to local officials with the idea of integrating and promoting our motorized bikes into the hatfield mccoy trail system.

they would get the boost from tourism, new business, events, concessions, etc... we would get a multi-day rally to show off our "unique" creations in the heart take your breath away hatfield mccoy trail country. miles of trails, events, maybe a killer custom bike show that would be guarantied to draw everyone for miles...

fully endorsed and hosted by our home town. (banner and all, so to speak)
as coal has declined, all of the local towns have been looking to trail related tourism to help offset huge job losses. and our little hobby just seems like a marriage made in heaven to me... social media like this and facebook would be all it would take.

i spoke to the police chief (soon to be sheriff and my second cousin, btw) about the legality of them, including in town. he said they were still 100% bicycle, ride wherever you want. the 25mph speed limit isn't even an issue because you "have to be" geared low to climb these hills. and you don't have a faster gear.
besides, there are already dirt bikes and atv's in town and all throughout the area towns. they have to be allowed, for gas and food. "you can't just let trail riders run out, and die in the woods..." lol

i ran into our mayor today, a great guy who i have known for about 40 years.
he said he loved it and told me to go see nattily at the chamber of commerce asap, this is exactly what she has been looking for.
then you will need to bring it to the council, (most of them i know and 1 was my witness at my wedding, btw) he said he would support it.
he used the words "we will get a committee together"

(at that point i was already thinking about the 400 mile endurance race for next years rally... lol)

since it would cost them basically zero dollars, and they already do this sort of thing... well, who knows... right? it didn't get shot down yet...

some of you guys have done this before, how many people do actually show up at your events? it just seems to me this could work. what do you think?

if you were going on vacation, would you seriously consider attending something like that? or staying in a hotel, your camper or camping on the trails... while riding your creation...

or did i just waste a little bit of time and some server space with a crazy idea...

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Hmm.....If you've got the support of local office holders, then you're off to a good start.

My guess is that the first rally won't attract a whole lot of people. But you can hope for more and more as time goes by.

You've certainly got good riding territory on your side. And you can probably count on attracting members from, say, Ohio and Maryland and so on. You'll likely attract a few from further out as well.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I've traveled about half the distance to attend a Midwest rally/cruise. And I'm an old guy. If the event was advertised nationwide you might see a surprisingly good turn out.

We applaud your efforts and wish you the best of luck. Keep us informed.

Tom

FFV8

Oct 29, 2013
Spring Valley NV
Interesting.

Which of the 6 trails are you talking about?

I went here for a look:

http://www.trailsheaven.com/About-the-TRAILS/Trail-Rules-and-Regulations.aspx

And it looks like an extensive trail system.

Rules say no camping?

Is there a lot of faster OHV traffic on the trails? Pictures seem to show a lot of Quads - Getting covered in mud from a banshee blowing past might not be everyone's cup of tea.

Post some pics of the terrain & tell us which trail. Many people will travel if it looks fun.

leo

Jul 20, 2015
southern wv
well, buffalo mountain is the nearest "official trailhead" but there are access points everywhere, i can get to a connecting trail by going north, east, or south from my house. they are all connected in one way or another.
there are way more trails that are not part of the trail system and gates are only up where necessary, free travel on them is almost universal, it's been that way forever. hence, all the atv's and orv's in the local towns... :)

camping is mostly done on private property, locals love trail riders and will "hook you up" in a heartbeat. some charge, some don't. some get hotels, and some people still just find an out of the way spot to call it a day. either way, no one is going to say anything unless you get drunk and start fighting or something. we WANT you to brag to your your friends when you get home.

some trail do have restrictions, usually for safety reasons. those don't really matter though, you just take the longer (and more fun) way around.
there is a spot near my house for example, it's nice wide, flat, trail. there are 2 smaller trails that still go to the exact same place, but they are dirt bike only, too narrow and steep for anything else. side-by-sides are strictly forbidden on those. everything is clearly posted, you just go around it...

FFV8

Oct 29, 2013
Spring Valley NV
I travel a bit for fun.

I go to Wichita KS every year for the bike drags. Takes a couple of days & airfare is cheap months in advance.

I go to Kauai - and we rent a TW200 dual sport, or a couple of scooters. Or SCUBA gear. Or a PWC. All we bring on the plane is some clothes.

But bringing a motorized bike means driving. WV is a long haul for me driving - the added days chew up available time. Are there any places in the area that rent quads or dual sport type motorcycles?

I looked at the http://www.delbartoninn.com/ and it looks like a decent place, and a short trip from Charleston. I can fly in to Charleston for about 500 bucks.

Bringing tourists to the trails from more than a 1 day drive away can be difficult. I live in a hospitality city and I see what it takes every day. We have lots of golf courses here. My out of state friends that golf all want to keep a set of clubs at my house so they can fly here.

Logistics. A place to stay. A way to rent stuff too big to take on a plane.
If I am driving, a place to stay or camp. Nothing like getting someplace and finding the campground full and your reservation vanished - i never went back there again!

I wish you great success bringing tourists to the trails.

leo

Jul 20, 2015
southern wv
delbarton is one of those trail towns i mentioned, it's about 20 minutes from here by car, or by trail.

i had a meeting yesterday with the president of the chamber of commerce, a couple local business leaders and trail supporters. looks good so far, the idea (and the bike) was a huge hit.

at this early stage, the thinking is we need the support, and more specifically, an endorsement from the trail authority itself. which is now a government agency. so it could still go either way...

sorry, i missed the question about the banshee blowing by.
so far, that has not been a problem. i have yet to have anyone ride by me without stopping to ask questions.
so, more or less, the same thing we get when we ride them on streets... LOL

leo

Jul 20, 2015
southern wv
oh, i forgot to mention.
the idea was floated about getting someone lined up to sell us some decent bikes with motor kits. they would need to have large rear sprocket, dual pull brake handles and a few other minor tweeks. all low end torque monsters...
must be fairly simple to install with no frame bending etc. needed.

i told them i know a few guys who could do that. yes, i'm looking at you, sponsors...
you guys helped me get here, "IF" something good happens, you deserve the first shot.