Zero cogging

GoldenMotor.com

mifletz

Aug 25, 2009
israel
Is there any electric bike system that has zero cogging i.e. absolute zero motor dragging when coasting, or the option to totally disengage the motor from the wheel?

Lungcookie

Aug 15, 2013
Oregon
I too had the same thought after riding the Magic Pie 3, a couple miles without power.
The MP3 is direct drive and mine will spin 3.5 turns before it stops.(just with a spin with my hand).

I recently put a little geared motor, 250w on a bike. It spins and spins and spins. Just like a bike without a motor. No cogging.
However the little geared motor is a doggy gutless thing and for me its really only good for flat hard ground.
I just bought a mac10t geared motor, 500w and it free-wheels good but there is a bit of resistance with it. More magnets may slow it a bit. Still it feels mostly bike like, don't really notice the drag when ridding.

I don't have any seat time with mid drives, but they should feel like a bike with the motor off. Mid drive would have a free-wheel so no cogging.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
"Geared" hub motors have no drag. (Internal planetary gear). Most hub motors are direct drive.
Mid-drive electric kits also have a free-wheel and have no drag. Mid-drive kits drive your pedal crank.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I too had the same thought after riding the Magic Pie 3, a couple miles without power.
The MP3 is direct drive and mine will spin 3.5 turns before it stops.(just with a spin with my hand).

I don't have any seat time with mid drives, but they should feel like a bike with the motor off. Mid drive would have a free-wheel so no cogging.
Yep.
You don't feel a mid-drive at all for the most part.

The best part of course is your motor uses you pedal gears.
You can pedal to help or not, the pedals freewheel ratchet in place when the motor is turning the chainrings if you don't feel like helping it.

Sickbikeparts has a couple kits for $400.

mifletz

Aug 25, 2009
israel
Mid-drive electric kits also have a free-wheel and have no drag. Mid-drive kits drive your pedal crank.
Does this mean that with a mid-drive, if the battery and power are totally off, that one can pedal as normal with absolutely zero drag?

Last edited:

SilentRider

Aug 19, 2014
Massachusetts
Does this mean that with a mid-drive, if the battery and power are totally off, that one can pedal as normal with absolutely zero drag?

No, I have the bafang bbs02 and when powered off there is considerable drag making pedal riding difficult. I try not to run out of power before getting home because unless I'm less than 1/2 mile away I'll end up walking.

This new friction drive disengages when you stop pedaling or when powered off. There is a 50kph model available but it's a kickstater with scheduled delivery next month, or so they say. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5We8eqUGya8

Last edited:

mifletz

Aug 25, 2009
israel
No, I have the bafang bbs02 and when powered off there is considerable drag making pedal riding difficult.
Do all CD kits have some drag?

How much drag is there with the Bafang when freewheeling down a hill with the power totally off?

Last edited: