Aftermarket Magneto

GoldenMotor.com

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
I concur.. in all my years around high performance engines I've NEVER seen a spark plug work those kind of miricles... they fire from point A to point B, period. The only way to get a hotter spark is by sending more power to the plug, and the only time this is needed is with really high compression or under some serious boost. A super strong ignition system will do nothing for performance by its self, it just prevents missfires at higher cylinder pressures. That's the whole reason a stronger spark is needed, adding a stronger mag or coil wont add performance, but if your engine is set up for performance you may need the stronger ignition to prevent missfires.
All platinum and irridium plugs do for an engine is increase how long one can go before their plug wears out. Copper plugs have the least resistance but they don't last very long, platinum plugs last ankong time but with added resistance, and irridium offers the best longevity with the least resistance, this is the sole reason the auto manufacturers can advertise 100000 miles between tune ups.

Now if you're running a big block with 12:1 compression ratio, or a blown small block or a turbocharged 4 banger putting out 20+ psi boost, this is where someone actually needs a "super coil" and a MSD to boost the voltage feeding into the coil....

On a stocker, all this is just for looks.

5 mph from just switching to an irridium plug... not happening. Not unless the original plug was badly fouled, and in that case, ya better find out why before that customer fouls that $10 irridium plug and realizes he's. just been had...

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Oh come on, KC. Give me a break here. 5MPH increase because of a spark plug?
Tom
That customer was just back again to get another NGK 5944 for his other bike.
He said he was getting ~30MPH all the time including riding here, and by simply changing out his weird Champion plug here yesterday easily does 35-37.

Use a $2 plug if you want, I just know first hand again and again what the longer and bigger sparking Iridiums rock and why I put them in everything.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
And sugar pills cure cancer.
Sorry, I'm not convinced and unless or until I see conclusive evidence that a spark plug will add 5MPH to the speed of a stock engined motorized bicycle I'll remain unconvinced. Word of mouth by someone taken in by a plecebo won't impress me.

A spark is a spark. If the fuel ignites the power produced by the engine will be the same no matter by what or how the fuel was ignited. There are many other factors toward what an engine can produce and the strength of the spark has nothing to do with what happens after the the fuel/air charge explodes. You're reading too much into the advertising hype put out by the manufacturer. I've read it too and the claims are pure marketing. It isn't a bad product; it just isn't a magic bullet.

Tom

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
And sugar pills cure cancer.
Sorry, I'm not convinced.
Tom
I simply couldn't care less Tom.
Run $2 plugs and be happy, could you use some more?

I have a whole box full the various new stock plugs and the included spares from the good kits you can have for 50 cents each.
I'll turn that money back around to buy what I use.

I simply shared a story of a guy that rode his bike by yesterday for a different part and wanted to try a 5944 to replace that Champion he had, came back again this morning to get another for the other bike and couldn't quit talking about the difference it made.

Will it make that big a difference in every bike?
Not likely, but it does make some difference in every bike I've built and I simply really couldn't care less about what anybody else uses.

I share, simple.
Like anything else take it or leave it, or maybe just see for yourself and not dwell on about how it can't work better?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Okay, KC, let's put this to bed.

The issue here isn't what works for you or me or anyone else. The problem is, and you've been told numerous times, you are marketing a product that you sell. You tell a new member to buy your preferred spark plug, make fantastic claims as to it's performance then brazenly post a link to your website where the product can be purchased. That is a direct violation of forum rules and you know it. Don't play innocent with me.

If you want to push irridium spark plugs do it in the 'Swap & Shop' section, and only there. Do not come into a question and answer discussion and tell a new member that buying your product will fix his problem or dramatically enhance the performance of his engine.

Future posts of that nature will be removed.

Tom

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I have to agree with the forum here KC...
You seem a bit strident about these plugs. Kinda reminds me of a certain four-stroke fan who constantly berates others for using chinadoll kits. He sells four-stroke kits for about 30% more than they are worth and claims he is "only trying to help others".
5 MPH from nothing but a plug change?
Not likely.
You might want to consider the fact there are people here who DO know what's what before posting ridiculous claims.
Sorry but I simply don't believe it.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Ive been using Champion spark plugs in all my lawn equiptment, garden equipment, chainsaws and even some vehicles and Ive always had good results with them.

I always ran Autolite Plugs in my high performance high compression chevy engines, they just held up better and most all the drag racers around here also used Autolite plugs in their cars.

Spark plugs dont add performance aor speed all they have to do is deliver a good spark to ignite the fuel....lol

Port work, good balance, good exhaust, correct carb and it being tuned right, correct timing good compression.

those are the things that keep, help and add performance.

Yes better hotter firing ignition is good, but I personally haven't experienced anything that does it any better for my engines than the stock cdi/coil.

and like I have said and will say again, the HD's Lightening CDI offers as good of performance on my engines as the stock unit, I have honestly seen to top speed increase but its the only aftermarket cdi I've used that didn't reduce performance.

Tom I agree with you completely about spark plugs.

KC, if that fella actually did realize 5 mph speed increase from having a new spark plug he could have realized it with any good condition spark plug....
Funny thing that happened to me several years back when I bought my Intruder 1400... First of all, I bought that bike because I wanted a cruiser instead of another crotch rocket, but if I was to buy a cruiser, I didn't want to give up all the power and speed a sportbike has to offer so I did my research and found out this was the fastest accelerating cruiser at the time, so I tracked one down and bought it. At the same time I also bought a set of drag pipes, a handful of different sized jets for the carbs, a set of K&N pod filters, and a few other goodies to help the bike go even faster.
I knew I would need to rejet the bike to dial it in with the new exhaust and free flowing filters etc so I bought a few sets of Autolite plugs since they're cheap, but reliable. I got the bike dialed in so it would perform at it's best AND behave as nicely as a stock cruiser should when I'm cruising. I just wanted this bike to be rediculously Fast when I did want to crack the throttle and play some. After spending the most part of a Saturday changing out all the parts then dialing in the jetting, I went for a cruise and enjoyed the comfort of the cruiser, but also enjoyed catching some dude on an R6 off guard at the stoplight and depsarately trying to catch up let alone keep up with me... lol... now That made it all worth it right there :D

Anyway, I knew it was getting time to do a tune up on the old beast and went out and bought a nice set of irridium plugs to replace the old ones with 20000 very hard ridden miles on them. I pull the covers off and pull the boots off the old plugs and to my surprise, I still had the Autolite plugs in there that I was using for tuning, I coulda swore that I put a set of irridiums in it back then, but all this time and 20k miles later those Autolites were still firing as good as new.

Since I already bought these irridium plugs, I might as well use them... Yup, I put them in and took it for a spin before turning in for the night, the bike performed flawlessly as always, engine strong as ever just like always... it performed EXACTLY the saem as it did with the Autolites installed, Fast and Reliable, but not a bit faster than it was before changing the plugs. Of course, I knew it wouldn't go faster just by changing plugs, but I thought for sure those Autolites wouldn't take that kind of abuse and survive 20,000 miles, but they did it and did it Very well.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
back in the earl 90's I used to be a one man crew for a friend who had a bracket car that he didn't have a clue how to tune and keep going at the races, so I was in the pits all the time keeping his car ready to go and bumping elbows with a bunch more guys and their cars.

hands down the most widely use spark plug brand no matter if Chevy, Ford or Mopar was Autolite, I always had trouble with AC plugs in my 71 Chevy C10 406cid small block 11.5 comp. big comp cams solid blah blah blah...etc. truck run 12sec on the street with street tires and I could couldn't get good service from anything in that engine but Autolite and Champion, I worked for Naps back then and fElla at local GM dealership told me that the only way I would likely get AC plugs to run in my truck was to buy them at the dealership parts department because AC Delco only sold its #1 plugs to the dealerships and parts stores got #2 plugs and places like Wall Mart and such got #3 stuff.

I don't honestly know about all the #1-2-3 plug quality stuff, but I do know I could put a new set of AC plugs inthat 11.5:1 comp. engine and If be lucky to get through the day before is end up with a plug that quit firing under compression, never had that issue with Autolite or ever Champion plugs, ran some N.denso U groove plugs for a while that held up well, but hands down I got the best service from the Autolite plugs and so did my friends that were running 12.5:1 engines at the strip and they claimed the Autolite were the best plug going for their cars.

Back then everyone I knew ran Autolite plugs and Castrol 20w-50, these were two thing you could bet on seeing a lot of at the drag strips around here.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
All I can say is talk when you have tried one.
And no, you can't buy from me as I don't sell parts, NGK.com and SickBikes.com sell them.

I build bikes not sell parts, but if a LOCAL is in need of a new plug I will sale him one at cost if I have a spare, or give him a stock one for free, I have a bunch of them as I don't use them.

1 MPH, or 1 second quicker to 20MPH or this guy smiling his ass off saying 5-7 MPH who cares?

Try one or don't, it doesn't effect me either way, I just share what I pay retail for like everyone else that works great for me and all I use.

frank66

Jan 15, 2015
canada
KC and everyone? are the sparkplugs you like- tend to have the same length of threads as stock? or do you use deeper threaded plugs?

do you have pictures?

-------
tempurature rating is about decarbonization vs detonation. so im trying to guess that the threaded depth makes the biggest difference. ???

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
KC and everyone? are the sparkplugs you like- tend to have the same length of threads as stock? or do you use deeper threaded plugs?

do you have pictures?

-------
tempurature rating is about decarbonization vs detonation. so im trying to guess that the threaded depth makes the biggest difference. ???

The NGK and Champion plugs I use have the same thread length as the plugs that come in the engine kits do.

Only one acception and that is if you run the "Pedal Chopper" type head and the cylinder deck has been shaved down for proper TDC so the piston comes to the top of deck, the head I mentioned here needs a shorter plug like a Champion J8C if the cylinder deck has beed brought down for a GT5 or "half Breed' geometry engine, I'm not sure about the 40mm stroke PK80 since I haven't had this head on one of them, but I tried to install a standard NGK B6HS plug and the piston would hit the plugs electrode and I mean hit it solid enough to bend it completely closed.

I included a pic of the type head I speak of here that needs the shorter plug if the TDC is piston edge at very top of cylinder deck.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ

do you have pictures?

-------
I can't speak to "decarbonization vs detonation".

What I can tell you first hand is yes, there is more plug to the point of a bigger socket to install it than the typical LD plugs, be it the single or triple anode plug which to me is as much of a joke as $200+ conversion to two plugs and two cdi's.

For me it is THE plug for stock 2-stroke with a slant head.

Try it or don't, I am just tired or trying help but with this BS that I might be making money off some simple suggestion here is getting me a little irrigated.

No problem Tom, delete my posts, call me a dick and a liar,I'll just quit helping here.

I speak of what I know first hand if not close second hand, and I know this!

frank66

Jan 15, 2015
canada
this is good > if decarbonization vs detonation is not correct? please correct me.

i know that deeper is better for power. i think to much depth would be a limitation of the tempurature rating or it physicaly hits the piston.

----
that being said deeper is best and iridium plugs are infact deeper due to the superior material design and temperature rating.

----
my older motors decked level so the stock plug length was pretty ok. now that my piston is lower i could maybe really use a longer length plug.
----
KC your iridium plugs have a longer threaded section plus its iridium so the electrode is longer aswell. correct?

Last edited:

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
A deeper plug changes a few things. One it may raise compression just due to more mass, less space. Could be a good thing. Another is it may improve or degrade the flow of gases through the cylinder/head since its now more in the flow. It will change the timing slightly if only from the flame propagation stand point. It starts closer to the piston. The only way to know is try it. If I had milled a good bit from the head I think I would run a plug that is standard or shorter overall to keep the flame front from beginning so close to the pistons top. Instead of a smooth propagation from the center of the combustion chamber it starts lower then back up around the plug.
Thing is as I said you don't know til you try. Im big on experimentation too, but there are facts to consider.

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
My reply to all this is KISS, (Keep it simple stupid) I've tried almost every plug out there. YEAH, that $10 one too. WELL, I'm back to running a NGKB6HS. Most of my bikes do 40mph or very close to it. And the NGK's dont cost no $10. BUT I'll say it again
IT'S YOUR BIKE, BUILD IT YOUR WAY.
fatdaddy.usflg

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
The NGK 5111 (BP?HS) is the same extra long length as the NGK 5944 (BPR?HIX) Iridium, I have each in front me, hence the same slight compression increase in both over stock, neither will work in a high compression head or one that is shaved down as it will hit the piston.

Since you can gap the HS and not the HIX, with a really good CDI you might be able to gap the HS wider and get an even bigger better spark but I haven't messed with that, I plop in what has turned my head since the first one I tried and stick with it.

'nuff said?

Chainreaction

Dec 14, 2014
Tulsa OK
My first career was auto mechanics, I started young and I was obsessed with it. While I built engines and the occasional auto trans what I was really known for among the hot rodders was being a good tuner, getting the most out of stuff. A spark is a spark unless it misfires, an extra good spark makes no difference.

frank66

Jan 15, 2015
canada
i have a diploma for engine mechanics. so what? there is no school that teaches sparkplug fundamentals. most people cant tell the difference with two different plugs. so what?

im trying to discuss this/ if you cant take it seriously then let the thread be.