Police call for ban on sale of motorised kits for bikes

GoldenMotor.com

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Talk about bull crap.

"Detective Inspector Newman said the biggest problem with the motors was their weight relative to the bikes', which makes them difficult to control."

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
If you disagree with another member's post or thread either ignore it or report it to the staff. No arguments or showing disrespect for others.

Tom

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
This article seems very contradictory and poorly written. The patrol car had lights and siren activated, but the officers said they weren't in pursuit?

The kid was killed last year, but the inquest was yesterday? The way the article reads it sounds like a hit piece on china girls.

It's not really clear if any laws were being broken. It mentions the bike had no reflectors, and the rider wasn't wearing a helmet, but no mention if they were actually required. Then near the end of the article a Detective Inspector Newman indicates they've already been banned, and even off the road the bikes are unsafe?. So what's point of this article really about?

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
"Detective Inspector Newman said the biggest problem with the motors was their weight relative to the bikes', which makes them difficult to control."

I saw AFTER I'd copied this to my clipboard that biknut already highlighted it...decided to paste it anyway in agreement. I'd argue that the engine's weight and the minor gyroscopic effect of the flywheel actually INCREASE stability. It's bad enough that this claim is made on no scientific reference at all, but to say it's the "biggest" problem is damning. The poor dumb kid shoulda been wearing a helmet, and been vigilant about safety-devices like reflectors and lights, but it painfully disingenuous of the police to claim they weren't pursuing him. If they were truly concerned for his safety, they could have followed him without that type of engagement. Sadly, the responsibility for this tragedy rests heavily with the decisions of the victim. To leverage this tragedy to attempt a wholesale prohibition of these engines is just lazy and ignorant.

P.S.: The fact that my ex-wife is an ex-police-officer in Australia does NOT effect my opinion.

Last edited:

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas

P.S.: The fact that my ex-wife is an ex-police-officer in Australia does NOT effect my opinion.
Yeah, I really had to roll my eyes when I read this. I'm pretty sure he has no idea how much a china girl motor weighs. The weight of the motor isn't even 1/4 the weight of a bike, and rider. I think it's about 22 lbs or something like that.

The whole article stinks like a hit piece. My impression from reading between the lines is the kid probably wasn't doing anything wrong other than just riding down the street. The police decided to pull him over to harass him, which resulted in his death, so then they started coming up with all these bs excuses why they did what they did.

I know from experience whenever the police want to pull you over for no reason, their number one excuse is, "he was driving erratically".

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Sounds to me like some government tool is on a crusade to make political points. He could care less about what happened.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
.......the Aussie goberment is probably really proud of Mick Dundee and his exploits!! The very model for Aussie safety!

auflg

Technocyclist

Motorized Bicycle Senior Technologist
Jul 7, 2008
Asia
The Police officer is totally missing the point here. What caused the accident? was it the motorized bicycle or the rider? would the rider be still alive whether he was riding a plain bicycle or a motorized bicycle? I agree that should be restrictions like wearing a helmet and having lights and all. It should be regulated but not prohibited.

For most people who have not seen nor even ride a motorized bicycle would always blame the motorized bicycle whenever an accident is encountered.

So please wear your helmets, have lights, ride safe, and obey traffic rules... one bad banana can ruin a whole bunch...

Pot is legalized and motorized bicycles are being banned. what is the world going into? Officer, I need to ride my motorized bicycle because of my medical condition. It's part of my therapy. :)

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
The Police officer is totally missing the point here. What caused the accident? was it the motorized bicycle or the rider? would the rider be still alive whether he was riding a plain bicycle or a motorized bicycle? I agree that should be restrictions like wearing a helmet and having lights and all. It should be regulated but not prohibited.

For most people who have not seen nor even ride a motorized bicycle would always blame the motorized bicycle whenever an accident is encountered.

So please wear your helmets, have lights, ride safe, and obey traffic rules... one bad banana can ruin a whole bunch...

Pot is legalized and motorized bicycles are being banned. what is the world going into? Officer, I need to ride my motorized bicycle because of my medical condition. It's part of my therapy. :)
Yep, so true.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Considering the way most people that don't ride feel about bikes, which is most people, it's a wonder anyone can ride.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Does anyone remember the Hurt Report? It was a study commissioned by the federal government, and authored by a guy named Harry Hurt in the late 70s. Motorcycles had become very popular during the 70s, and many riders at the time believed this report was going to be used to justify banning certain motorcycles, mainly superbikes. I remember at the time there were politicians chomping at the bit to ban them.

The problem was, after the report was published in about 1981, it found that mid size (600 cc) bikes were the ones most represented in fatalities, not superbikes. That pretty much put the kabosh on the movement to ban superbikes.

That serves to show that misconceptions about bikes are nothing new.

Slogger

Sep 8, 2014
nohio
Two cars hit the kid, and the way they word it makes it seem the cops hit him, but they won't come out and say it. So two gonzo cops go after a teenager who flips out and runs, they kill him and then everyone blames the bike engine.
The cops were in the same car, but two cars hit him. ? That article is a hatchet job to cover up belligerent actions by the mounties.
His parents must be bringing a suit.

gaffo

May 10, 2014
Norman
What's up in Oz? What a bunch of commies. Not only are they asking to ban gas bikes, but the limit for eBikes is only 250w. Seems like they don't want anyone to have access to cheap transportation.

After reading this article, it sounds like the cops are probably lying their butts off too.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-12-...ale-motorised-bike-kits-inquest-hears/5954482
a couple of Darwin Awardee kids bought the farm 2-3 yrs ago in New South Wales -------------- so now we see the usual result.

no worries.....it all for the best, its all FOR THE CHEEELRIN!

gaffo

May 10, 2014
Norman
Considering the way most people that don't ride feel about bikes, which is most people, it's a wonder anyone can ride.
I don't like Bicyclists myself. they ride on roads (legally of course) posted 20 mph faster than they can pedal and leave me crawling behind them in my car - even 2 abreast at times (wearing the silly speedos). not to mention they blow through stop signs and stop lights as if they were not there - while I in my "flea hopper" 49 cc motorized 20 mph scooter have to stop at both! (like I should! - like THEY SHOULD but don't. Just today on a little 4-way stop sign intersection I passed a cyclist doing 18 mph.......came up to the intersection and stopped (slows to a crawl actually).........cyclist blows right past me and though the intersection!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've never seen a cop stop a cyclist - EVER and they pull this sheet all the time!

----------BTW I think the only reason bike and motorcycles are legal is because they are 100 yrs old and grandfathered in. Motorized bikes first shows up in the late 50's and not really in any number until 20 yrs ago or so. so they are "fair game" in banning from the roads, while the others are not.

I'm sure the Power that Be would love to ban everything that is not a car for our Streets if they could.

hsvmick

Mar 23, 2011
hobart tasmania australia
well as i live in Australia i should comment on this thread and yes a big hit has been branded on our motorised 2 stroke and 4stroke petrol bikes the law has been the same for over 15years being 200watts and a 66cc is almost in many cases 1400watts and up to 3200watts out the box
the thing is these motorised bikes at the time now are growing so fast and has been for 2 years every teenage boy wants one well almost ,and now the police cant and do not know any thing about them if they are legal or not so many ??????? so the law is to outlaw any petrol powered bike i cant see this happening over our bike's
my thought over this accident and 3 others i have heard of who was to blame for this the parent's letting him out at ten of a night at a age he was with no lights or any helmet etc the bike he didnt know at all nor could ride ,himself for not stopping ,the police ? what i think was a bad sale with a second hand run down bike what needed someone to go over for the safety of it as we all know we must keep our wit's about when riding alway's
a motor bike shop here in tasmania was told not to sell the kits no longer or a fine to him will accur this was 12month's ago he still sell's them ,the law cant tell how many watts the motor is
this is why they are talking into a banned petrol motor kit fitted to a bike cause they cant tell what is what in the watt's and the dyno is to much to put each bike on if they pulled over each petrol bike, so someone in the tie and suit think's they have the only answer BAN ALL
i believe in another state in Australia Melbourne victoria has road rule's of 49cc kits fitted only while all other state's are 200watts how much watts are 49cc over a 1000watts out the box too so to me suit's court police do not know a thing what to do and a ebike they change the limit to a extra 50watts so now its 250watts aloud let's get a 12,000watt kit and put on a 250WATT STICKER ?the electric bike company's here in australia are missing out on so many sales from the petrol bikes they push the law to get 250watts for hill climbs and wants petrol powered bikes banned what a statement this is
I HAVE HAD THREE DIFFERENT POLICE office's knocking on my door just to get a understanding of our motorised bikes this i find good as i see they like the theme and would like to learn about them not banned the good thing one even brought one for himself now that's funny
If the law banned all petrol powered bike's i sure wouldnt ban myself from my ride's only the weather sometimes stop me
i not like hearing people getting hurt or lost one's from these motorised petrol bikes but accidents sometimes happens it can happen walking the pet dog what can we do then ban the dog or noone is to walk our pets in public
has any one tried a 200watt 50cc 2stroke kit what s on the market i can near walk faster
i think they are in big questions in what the out come is but to many will ride on
i hope this message is right in what i trying to say